• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Falling in deep powder

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So this weekend, I was skiing on what is steep for me (about 30 degrees) and in snow that was deep for me (hip deep - waist deep). I was skiing along pretty well, when all the sudden, I double ejected and went head first in the snow. I tried to call out to my ski partner, who I could hear yelling up asking me if I was Ok, but I could not yell back. I felt myself start to panic, because when I tried to put my hands down to push myself up, I kept sinking down. And when I was trying to dig the snow away from my face and mouth, I felt myself sinking further. I was able to continue rolling around, and got my face out.... Granted, I my head out, but it got me thinking, what if this was a lot worse. What do you do when you are head first in deep snow?

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What do you do when you are head first in deep snow?

If possible I keep my breath .... I fell headfirst in deep powder (I was snowboarding then). I made the mistake to inhale with my head into the powder and got some powder snow in my lungs .... not something I want to experience again!
Getting onto my borad afterwards took me some 5 mins. as I had to dig myself out of this fluffy white stuff.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sheena, I'm so glad you're okay.
Its situations like this that make me wonder if an avalung is a good idea for someone like you who skis those conditions.
If I lived out there I'd take an avalanche class to learn stuff like this.

That being said, the only tip I know for getting out of deep powder is to cross your arms in an X to create a platform to push yourself up.(Poles if you still have them)

Glad you're okay, and hope you have more amazing powder days!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It is really frustrating when this happens.

That being said, the only tip I know for getting out of deep powder is to cross your arms in an X to create a platform to push yourself up.(Poles if you still have them)

This is all I can offer, too. That being said, I have spent what seemed like up to half an hour trying to get up from falls in deep powder (the toughest was on a runout - it was way easier when I lost one ski on a steep). I usually wind up on my back at some point to rest/breathe. I think that getting your head out, however inelegantly, is almost always possible to do. The only instances that I can think of where you wouldn't be able to roll or fall over onto your side and then onto your back to face the sky is if you've gone into a tree well or you've been buried (by avalanche?). I've crashed head first into a snowbank while x-c skiing (heels up, butt up, head down - very awkward position), and although I panicked for two seconds before someone pulled my head out, the fact is, if the "rescue" response time wasn't that fast, I could have fallen onto my side and popped my head up.

I haven't double ejected, and that seems to be the toughest part about your situation b/c the boots provide little surface area and (like your hands) sink; perhaps you should increase the DIN on powder days to prevent ski loss in the future?

I suppose the rule should probably be ski closer together so that one can climb up or ski down if the other is stuck. (I'm thinking the kind of safety you'd need in case tree wells were an issue).

I'm sure a more seasoned western skier can offer better practical advice....

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm sure a more seasoned western skier can offer better practical advice....

A snorkel?

I'm glad Sheena that you are OK. Feels like you are being waterboarded. You did the right thing, try not to panic and clear the area around the face.

ski&bfree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My heart was sinking as I was reading your description. I'm really glad that you're OK. I think I would panic in that type of a situation. Perhaps getting an avalung would help. Scary stuff...

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Don't forget your powder leashes in those conditions. I have known of more than a few people who had dug out only to have lost their skis until the snow melts...

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanls all... I am going to take the Avy 1 course in March before I head out again.

abc

Banned
Been there, done that! It was not pleasant! :(

The first thing should be, like one other diva mentioned, HOLD YOUR BREATH!

Unfrotuantely for me at the time, I too, made the mistake of inhaling a lung full (fortunately, only a mouthful) of fluffy snow!!! (and proceeded to want to caugh, which would have inhale more snow had I allowed it)

Fortunately for me at the time, my instinct did the right thing. I doubled up, half roll and half tumbled so I ended up with my feets downhill of my head in a (semi-)sit up position. The steepness of the slope helped.

Snow continued to fall over my shoulder onto my face for a few more seconds. But in the end, even that stopped. So I could finally breath...

At the time, I didn't know about the x-pole trick. But I found, through trial and error, putting both poles next to each other also provided a good enough platform to push oneself up. (though the x shape would be even better)

SuZieCoyote

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks

All this input is good for me too. I haven't fallen in this much powder (well, I haven't skied in this much powder) but if we ever get any real snow here in Colorado, it is on the list.

SnowBall

Certified Ski Diva
I got stuck in 5-8 feet of powder many times last weekend, lol!! The "storm of the century" brought ridiculous amount of very fluffy powder to Mammoth Lake. Anyways, crossing the poles really works. You may have to roll to a comfortable position (facing up or even sideways) to the point where you can get your poles out of your wrists and place on top of the flat snow surface near you. Then push yourself up by place your hands towards the center of X. The poles distribute your weight into four directions. This works pretty much everytime but if it is still difficult to push up then you can place your back pack on top of the X then push up. Steeps are a little easier to get out but if you lose your ski uphill you are screwed, lol!! You have to ask snowboarders or skiers above you to help dig....I also did this last weekend, hahaha!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga