• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Does anyone do Nordic Walking?

ski chick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've read about the benefits (especially upper body) and would like to start and add it to my exercise regimen. Does anyone out there do Nordic Walking?

abc

Banned
Why not just nordic SKIING?

(I can understand doing it in the summer. But it's really an exercise nordic skiers keep themselves in shape in the "off-season". Kind of like riding a stationary bike...if you know what I mean)

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I had not heard of this specific concept - however, I do trek with poles (adjustable Komperdells), and having them on hikes does provide a certain degree of this type of walking. When I first saw the thread, I thought of something else, and perhaps astrid from Norway can fill us in when she returns from her ski trip: at most ski resorts in Norway, there are quite a few hiking trails. Norwegians are used to and love the cold, so there are dedicated walking trails for winter walking. From the brochures I have seen, there are pictures of people just out there hiking around, usually with poles, no snowshoes, just good winter hikers. I'd not seen anything like this in the US. Overall, hiking in any terrain with a set of poles is going to provide some degree of this type of walking. I checked the site and definitely "get" the 4WD concept they explain. I just never knew there was a specific name to what I wind up doing when hiking :smile: ! Cool!

abc

Banned
From the brochures I have seen, there are pictures of people just out there hiking around, usually with poles, no snowshoes, just good winter hikers. I'd not seen anything like this in the US.
Maybe not in brochures from ski resorts. But many people do hike in the winter. (some even backpack!) And yes, many use hiking poles.

The Applalachian Mountain Club, of which I'm a member, does a whole lot of winter hiking in the White mountains, with or without backpack and overnight camping. But I've never gone with their winter hikes because in winter I'm usually too busy skiing!!! :D

Oh BTW, "walking" is the British way of saying "hiking". So I gather "nordic walking" = "winter hiking" wouldn't be too far off? ;-)

Jilly

Staff member
Around here, it's just walking using poles in the summer. Alot of people use their XC poles with the tips covered with a rubber plug. It's big during the summer as an upper body workout to your regular walk.

alaski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, it's just hiking...

I always use poles while hiking. Here, the topography is very, very steep and poles help ease the pounding on your joints. In one of Joe Simpson's books he goes on about how much relief one gets from using poles over a 10 mile hike, and it's something like a couple of tons of pressure off your knees, or something like that.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga