• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Do you have a favorite jacket for the warm days?

lisamamot

Angel Diva
@lisamamot what temp do you decide the lighter weight layers work for you? It's supposed to be mid 30s...I feel like that's right on the cusp for me. 20s or less is full winter insulated jacket w hood for me. Very comfortable in that down to the single digits w just a merino t-neck & baselayer under it.
Mid 30s is quite warm, especially out west where the elevation, etc. makes everything feel warmer than in New England where I live and ski. The 30s out there is like the 40s here.

I don't find a fully insulated jacket is functionally different/warmer than the correct puffy + shell, but I have a stable of puffy jackets (both down and synthetic), of varying weights, that I use skiing as well as for other outdoor pursuits.

I am heading to Big Sky at the end of the week and the current forecast looks to be chilly with lows in the single digits and highs in the teens to mid 20s. I expect I will wear my warmest puffy, the Himali Accelerator down (850 fill), most of the time under my shell and it is the one I wear traveling as well. I will pack my Stio Pinion down (800 fill) to wear if it ends up warmer than expected, and also pack my synthetic Nano Ai. I like my Nano Air not only for skiing, but for around town as it is black so looks more polished, and if it gets damp it still insulates. Who knows, I may throw another thinner synthetic puffy in too.

Amie H

Angel Diva
Sounds like I need to do some puffy jacket shopping, @lisamamot ! I definitely don't have anything with that much fill.

I agree that a sunny day in the 30s at elevation feels comfortable. I have the big jacket primarily for Wisconsin night skiing,but it was great at Beaver Creek/Vail in early January w Temps in the single digits and overcast. I actually wore it 2 weeks ago in Tahoe and it was very comfortable. I don't remembe what the temps were those days.

Last year, I met a nice lady from Switzerland who, besides all her gear, also brought a full length mink coat with her, assuming she used for dinners out. She was wearing a different coat at the airport so it was over her arm. THAT is dedication to personal style

Related:I love tall boots w slim pants for going out, but never have room for them in my luggage, and they aren't quite "orthopedic " enough for dragging myself & my gear through an airport. I always feel dissatisfied w my footwear selection when I travel,except in the summer bc sandals are easy to pack.

Have a blast at Big Sky!

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Related:I love tall boots w slim pants for going out, but never have room for them in my luggage, and they aren't quite "orthopedic " enough for dragging myself & my gear through an airport. I always feel dissatisfied w my footwear selection when I travel
Sounds like I need to do some puffy jacket shopping, @lisamamot ! I definitely don't have anything with that much fill.
Oh, we can all help you with puffy jacket shopping :yahoo:

Travel footwear is tough to find something comfy and presentable. Over the years I have streamlined to very practical footwear and I swear by Blundstones. They were the only shoe I wore/brought to Tahoe and Taos and I just got a thermal pair before Diva West at Steamboat this year. The thermal model are the bomb for winter travel and will be what I wear to Big Sky; the only other shoe I bring is something for the hot tub. Blundstones are incredibly comfortable for traveling, do very well in the snow, and are ruggedly cute with leggings/jeans for when out and about.

1709050987506.png

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Oh, we can all help you with puffy jacket shopping :yahoo:

Travel footwear is tough to find something comfy and presentable. Over the years I have streamlined to very practical footwear and I swear by Blundstones. They were the only shoe I wore/brought to Tahoe and Taos and I just got a thermal pair before Diva West at Steamboat this year. The thermal model are the bomb for winter travel and will be what I wear to Big Sky; the only other shoe I bring is something for the hot tub. Blundstones are incredibly comfortable for traveling, do very well in the snow, and are ruggedly cute with leggings/jeans for when out and about.

View attachment 22594
Never thought about bringing Blundstone boots. Mine are navy nubuck so might not fare well in the snow

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've never tried on Blundstone. My go to boots are Dr Martens, but am mindful to wear the side zip ones for air travel. I've been tempted by the Blundstone since they are pull on.

Amie H

Angel Diva
How is the arch support in them? Usually a slip on isn't supportive enough for me, but those sure are cute/classically stylish.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
How is the arch support in them? Usually a slip on isn't supportive enough for me, but those sure are cute/classically stylish.
I find Blundstones sooooo comfortable and the arch support is spot on for me, but if you have arch issues I am unsure if your experience will differ. Give them a try!

Until you perfect technique they can be challenging to get in/out of, but once you wear them for awhile it is easy peasy.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
I see that LL Bean, REI and a few other stores sell them. I’m a narrow, so I doubt they will fit me….plus no zipper will be like putting ski boots on- torture. @lisamamot lol

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I find Blundstones sooooo comfortable and the arch support is spot on for me, but if you have arch issues I am unsure if your experience will differ. Give them a try!

Until you perfect technique they can be challenging to get in/out of, but once you wear them for awhile it is easy peasy.
Use a shoehorn so guess not broken in! Need to wear more often!

Tvan

Angel Diva
+1 on Blundstone boots. I have worn mine every day this winter with every outfit including sweater dresses with leggings. Super comfortable and good in snow. They’re the Subaru of boots.

slow_biscuits

Certified Ski Diva
I’m 5’11@ 170# and I wear a 12 too. I ski at lower latitude and man does that sun get hot! Last season got OR Carbide bib/shell combo. Love it so much. Can layer up with it when it’s cold, or just wear the shell when it’s hot. It’s flexible and frees up my range of motion as well, which I didn’t even realize was an issue until I switched from a bulkier setup. The pit zips are great too.

Amie H

Angel Diva
I have an appointment this afternoon and nearby is a shoe store that sells the Blundstone boots. I'll try some on.

Regarding jackets, I looked at the latest weather forecast for the 2 days we will be skiing: single digits to teens and overcast, so I'm glad I packed the heavy coat even though it means more stuff for me to carry. So interesting because originally predicted to be mid-30s which is a different story.

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When it's that warm 30's and above I love my Shell. I also have a Neff snowboard hoodie/jacket thing I love to wear. If it's over 40 then I'll just wear my shell, a puffy or a regular hoodie.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I impulse bought this Helly Hansen jacket one day at Brighton---(with employee discount---) but then the weather warmed up and I still want to wear it---just with fewer layers. My Scott gore tex shell is great--but I hate wearing layers to keep warm on colder days.

1709145804496.png

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
I’m 5’11@ 170# and I wear a 12 too. I ski at lower latitude and man does that sun get hot! Last season got OR Carbide bib/shell combo. Love it so much. Can layer up with it when it’s cold, or just wear the shell when it’s hot. It’s flexible and frees up my range of motion as well, which I didn’t even realize was an issue until I switched from a bulkier setup. The pit zips are great too.
Love my OR bibs. Not loving my Trew shell. It’s a bit long and stiff. I used my NF 3 in 1 as a shell and it was pretty good.

Amie H

Angel Diva
I was thinking about this thread, and this morning went back into the depths of my closet and pulled out this older. Eddie Bauer light puffer coat. And I can't believe it fits! I guess I must have lost enough weight to fit into it again, hooray.. So if my Tahoe trip moves forward tomorrow, (risk of cancelation w storm) I'm just taking this puffer & my Arcteryx hardshell plus a merino base & mid layer.

Attachments

• 20240229_145607.jpg
    20240229_145607.jpg
    690.9 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga