• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Dining options in or near Alta

teppaz

Angel Diva
A group of us (7 adults) is going to Alta next week. Any suggestions for dining in the area? It looks like there isn't much in Alta proper (we're staying in a condo there) but we're renting a couple of cars so transportation isn't a problem.

altagirl

Staff member
Food at the Shallow Shaft is AMAZING. We don't go often due to the expense, but the food is so good. Casual atmosphere but absolutely top quality dining.

https://www.shallowshaft.com/

That's right in Alta across the street from the resort.

If you're thinking of driving down canyon there are so many options I'm not sure where to start. What sort of food do you like?

teppaz

Angel Diva
Wow, that menu at the Shallow Shaft looks fantastic! And I see they have tartiflette, which is common in Alps resorts -- nice touch.

We're pretty open: hole in the wall, mom-and-pop ethnic, fancy... we like everything as long as it's tasty, really.

altagirl

Staff member
If you come down into the valley, the classic apres-ski is the Porcupine, which is right at the base of Big Cottonwood Canyon (above the Lift House ski shop). It's mostly... american fare, but with a black bean burrito, various pasta dishes, pizza, seared ahi, etc. The BEST thing on the menu by far is the chicken noodle soup. Which sounds silly, but it's like no other chicken noodle soup ever. Be sure to try it if you go. And get a side of their house made hot sauce to mix in if you like spicy. They also have a full bar and a huge selection of local beers on tap.

There is a really good Indian place in Sandy too - it's at about 10000 South, 1300 East - called Royal India. It's in the strip mall with the Smith's grocery store on 1300 East. Small little dive looking place, but seriously amazing Indian food. I could live on their Palak Paneer. They get some really glowing reviews (other than from me!) about being the best Indian food in the West. Menu is online at www.royalindiautah.com. They also do take-out.

For Italian food in Sandy, I'd recommend Fratellis. It's in the new shopping area along 9400 South where the old gravel pit was. Probably 1000 East. It's in the row of restaurants/stores in front of the Lowe's/Walmart. Personally, I just love their clams/mussels appetizer for dinner, my husband loves the carbonara, etc. Really nice family owned place. https://www.fratelliutah.com/

In the same plaza there is a wing place called Wing Nutz, that's also really good. Sports bar type atmosphere, just beer and wings, but they're excellent. All baked, not fried, with probably a hundred flavor and spice combinations. They also have boneless wings and riblet type things "hog wings" (I think). And these little potato things that are like ultra thick cut potato chips. Lots of TVs if you guys are into watching sports and eating wings. I highly recommend the apricot teriyaki flavor wings.

There is also a little dive type place for sushi in Sandy called Sushi Express. Really good quality food, family run place. It's on 900 East and... maybe 8000 South, in a little strip mall behind a 7-11. Menu is online at www.utahsushi.com. You can also get it as take-out and they have a small dine-in area. They also get excellent reviews - one of those places you go to for quality sushi at good prices - you're only paying for quality food, not a fancy atmosphere. If you want good sushi in a unique and cool atmosphere, try Ichiban downtown. It's in a converted church building, stained glass windows and all. https://watkinsrg.com/Ichiban_Sushi_Utah.html

There is even a new Peruvian place that I hope sticks around. They're in kind of a tough location down on State Street in Sandy, but a very friendly little place where the mother cooks and the son waits tables and the food is really good, not that I'm any sort of expert on Peruvian food, but I liked it! I have only been there for lunch, but I believe they have live music at night, which could be fun. https://www.elinticuisine.com/

And then if you want to drive farther downtown there are excellent Thai, Vietnamese, Mexican, etc. places. There are some surprisingly good ethnic restaurants in the SLC area.

teppaz

Angel Diva
These all sound right up our alley. How long does it take to drive down from the resort to Sandy?

altagirl

Staff member
These all sound right up our alley. How long does it take to drive down from the resort to Sandy?

In good conditions - probably 20 minutes. All bets are off if you are heading down 10 minutes after the lifts close on a busy weekend powder day.

I'd love to hear from more Divas on this - it makes me wonder what other restaurants I'm missing out on in my area... It took us years to go into Royal India (my husband was really unconvinced that he would like Indian food) and it's become one of my favorites.

marzNC

Angel Diva
In good conditions - probably 20 minutes. All bets are off if you are heading down 10 minutes after the lifts close on a busy weekend powder day.

I'd love to hear from more Divas on this - it makes me wonder what other restaurants I'm missing out on in my area... It took us years to go into Royal India (my husband was really unconvinced that he would like Indian food) and it's become one of my favorites.

Thanks for the recommendations! JC and I will be in the SLC area Feb. 8-14. Staying in a VRBO house in the city so it's nice to have some ideas if we decide to eat out.

We can't make it to Alta until Wed, but conditions sure look better for this week than a couple weeks ago. JC has never been to Alta. Going to have fun showing him around. :D

altagirl

Staff member
Thanks for the recommendations! JC and I will be in the SLC area Feb. 8-14. Staying in a VRBO house in the city so it's nice to have some ideas if we decide to eat out.

We can't make it to Alta until Wed, but conditions sure look better for this week than a couple weeks ago. JC has never been to Alta. Going to have fun showing him around. :D

Where are you staying - downtown? I could make some different recommendations outside the Sandy area too. Heh, also depending on what you like, but there's plenty of variety up that way.

A couple of my favorites (granted, maybe a little unusual) are:

Mazza - two locations - one at 9th and 9th and one at 15th and 15th (meaning 900 east, 900 south...) This is awesome middle eastern cuisine. The 9th and 9th location is a little fancier, but they have the same menu. Awesome shwarmas, etc. Taboulli salad is great, and their really great iced tea comes with a side of orange blossom nectar to add to taste. Yum. www.mazzacafe.com

And on the unusual side, but so, so good is Omar's Rawtopia. Across the street from Whole Foods in Sugarhouse. OMG. Mind you, this is RAW veggie only, but it's truly amazing what he creates with raw ingredients. Raw pasta, bean burritos, just incredible desserts. Though my favorite is probably the taboulli salad. Or maybe the coconut curry rice. Or the sweet basil salad. Or the curry sushi. Yum. https://www.omarsrawtopia.com/

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There are also a few eateries at Snowbird, so you could shoot down there. Just be aware that it is resort food at resort prices...
I'll second Porcupine. I just ate there Wednesday afternoon. Just as good as it always is! I love their entree-size salads. I had the wahoo salad - yum! If you like beer, they have an excellent selection on tap. If you want some really good coffee, be sure to stop in at The Silver Bean. It is owned and run by Shannon Bahrke and her husband Matt Happe. Shannon was a bump skier, winning Silver in 2002 and Bronze in 2010. She is the skier who always has the pink hair (or at least pink streaks). The coffee shop is at 6556 South 3000 East, Salt Lake City (in the Old Mill shopping center right off of exit 6 from I-215). I love their coffee! I order bags of it from them monthly and have a cup of it every morning.

altagirl

Staff member
There are also a few eateries at Snowbird, so you could shoot down there. Just be aware that it is resort food at resort prices...

Yeah - there's a mexican restaurant and a sushi bar in the Cliff Lodge. I've been to both but don't remember much about the food one way or the other - which probably means it was fine but nothing mind-blowing (and probably expensive, being on the mountain...). But they would certainly be options if you were not wanting to leave the canyon.

That's really cool about the Silver Bean - I'm not a coffee drinker and had no idea. I should go buy a few bags for my husband though!

teppaz

Angel Diva
Thanks for all the tips. I was a bit underwhelmed by the food at and around Beaver Creek but this looks more promising. We're all totally psyched, especially since the weather forecast looks decent (knock on wood).

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Silver Bean coffee is fantastic. I've been buying from Shannon for about 3 years now. She's a friend of a friend of mine - at my friend's wedding, she had mini bags of Silver Bean coffee with custom labels on them for the guest gifts. I've been drinking it ever since.
They have several types of beans and it changes frequently. You can choose the roast and grind/whole. You can choose "athlete blends" - blends for different athletes where some of the money goes to their favorite charity. There are also some other blends that have money going to their causes, like the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary. Definitely buy some bags for your hubby - good brew and it helps out good causes.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Where are you staying - downtown? I could make some different recommendations outside the Sandy area too. Heh, also depending on what you like, but there's plenty of variety up that way.

Mazza sounds good to me. Will depend on what JC wants to do. Since we have a house, may eat in as much as out. The house is near the I-80 and I-15 interchange. Planning on driving north to Powder Mountain and/or Snow Basin on the weekend. Hoping to hit several different places for fun and to learn more for future trips.

Love the weather report!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna