• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Demo day results are in!

LadyLes

Certified Ski Diva
First off, thanks so much for the advice and reviews in this forum!! I'm so glad to be a part of this great Diva community!
Stats: Loveland, CO, early season conditions-no new snow; groomed and eventually pretty uneven skied off stuff. Me: 5'7", 140, low-adv skier.
Skis tested: Nordica Olympia Victory, Volkl Attiva Tierra, Volkl Attiva Fuego, Dynastar Exclusive Legend, Head Wild Thang. All skis stested lengths were 160-164cm. (way shorter than my 174s!!)

First up; the Victory: WOW! This was my favorite ski of the day! It was so peppy and happy, yet stable and confident. Not too soft or too stiff, it was quick edge to edge, yet liked long, fast turns. It didn't have to be driven hard all the time, but liked to be pushed hard and fast too. It just felt more than capable at all speeds and turns and the limited conditions we had. It just felt perfect for me; definitely the :love: of the day!!

Tierra: Definitely felt strong and grippy, but I really was expecting more. That's why I got the Fuegos next..and they did feel much better! I think the Tierras needed a tune up badly...on the flats they just didn't want to go. I talked to the Volkl rep and he said that they were beat up, being the last of 5 demo days in a row, but didn't offer to fix that for me...meanwhile other reps were out there tuning ALL their stuff upon return!! :rolleyes: The Volkl rep said that the Tierras should have felt pretty much exactly like the Fuegos in speed, turning, etc. So, I feel like I didn't get a very fair test of the Tierras if that's the case. I know the Tierras should be stiffer than the Fuegos, but the difference was pretty big, so I think it was both-a stiffer ski and in need of a tune. Kinda bummed about that situation...but maybe they're too stiff for me anyway.

Fuego: Like I said, these felt a lot more lively than the Tierras. Definitely a fun ski, I liked the grippyness and the quickness in shorter turns. Great carver! But, I'm looking for a more of an all-mountain ski for out West here.

Legend: If it weren't for the other 3 skis I had skid by then, these would have been great. They were still great, but I could feel that they were softer than the rest. They didn't quite have the energy of the rest of them, but still a fun, capable of most anything ski.

Wild Thang: I tried these because hubby was so impressed with the Monster 82's. They were good skis, but not overly impressive in one particular area. They felt like they could handle it all-they were just a little quieter about it-didn't have the peppyness of the Nordicas or Volkls. Definitely felt strong and confident though, and definitely the fattest-I'm sure they'd be amazing in powder and thicker crud conditions.

Unfortunately, that's when our day ended...the booths started shutting down and hour before they were supposed to! I wanted to try the Solomons and Elans, but maybe next time...If I was really in the market for skis, I would do both demo days to ensure enough time for the skis I wanted. What's funny is that both me and hubby ended up loving the Nordicas, while we never really expected to. Our attitude towards Nordica has always been 'I've owned some old Nordica boots...' but not now. :becky: BTW-he fell in love with the Nordica Hot Rod Top Fuel. We'll now both be watching for deals on Nordicas....:eyebrows:

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the reviews! Out of curiousity, what order did you ski these in? I'm wondering if that affected how you felt about the skis.

btw - I picked up a pair of the Victory at the end of last season and cannot wait to get on them. :smile:

LadyLes

Certified Ski Diva
I skied them in the order listed. I'm sure that affected me w/the Heads, as I was tired by then. :redface:
I'm sure you'll really enjoy those Victorys!! :yahoo:

Edit: The hubby's ski that he liked was the Jet Fuel, not Top Fuel.

Welcoming more thoughts from anyone else who's tried/owned these skis....

Jilly

Staff member
I tried the Victory's too (last year 2008 demo for stores) and loved it to. The local rep had a pair for sale last spring, but I didn't jump on it, and now their gone. You might also have liked the Salomon Jewel series - Topaz or Origins. The Origin is expensive because they put real flowers in the top sheet - yipee. At a PK the Salomon rep told us to put a women who asked for the Origin into the X-wing 10 and female mount (location) the binding. I'm going to demo them in two weeks and see.

LadyLes

Certified Ski Diva
Nice! Yeah, I wanted to try the Solomon Jewel stuff...but that's when we were out of time...next time hopefully. Definitely let us know how that goes!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
LadyLes, I am excited to see the variety in your review.
I, too, have skied most of the Nordica line, including the Victory. Loved it!
I am extremely excited to get on the Firefox this season.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga