• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Curse you, inside foot!

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Since last week when I figured out my stance STINKS and I am way too back I have been working on drills. I'm really working hard on getting my weight up front, squishing grapes to oblivion in the front of my boot, pushing the bush, flexing from the ankles, etc. I also reread some threads and remembered the power-strap-under-the-plastic thing. That allowed me to tighten my boots down one more buckle and my ankle is significantly more stable. When my weight shifts forward I think there's minimal heel movement upwards, only (or mainly) just a release of pressure on the bottom of the heel. That should help, right?

My problem is with my inside foot when I'm turning. I did some patience turns like mountainxtc said last year. Let skis traverse across the mountain, weight evenly balance, they turn on their own, when they're going downhill finish the turn. Those went very well, no problems.

Then I tried another drill, also sometimes called "patience turns" by some people. This time my weight was supposed to be evenly balanced on each ski and I flex my ankles to one side, tipping the skis slightly on edge, letting the ski initiate the turn rather than my body/legs forcing the skis into a turn by swishing the ski tails or twisting my legs to change their direction. All I do is move the skis on edge and they turn. I do this very slightly and then flex the ankles to the other side to change direction. I take very shallow turns when I'm going slow, more of a slow back-and-forth movement. At slower speeds these turns take up very little horizontal space on the hill. As my speed picks up the turns have to become wider and move more across the hill.

I can tell you that this was difficult. Because I have been in the backseat, the feeling of the front edges of the ski actually engaging the snow was very disconcerting. In addition, my ski on the inside of the turn would have no if I had weight on it. If I truly tried to balance my weight and did the ankle flex even for a shallow turn, that inside leg would feel like it wanted to shoot off in a different direction. Then my natural response was to remove my weight from it and let it just hang out for the ride as the outside one carved the turn. My tracks behind me would show that inside leg wobbling around rather than railroad tracks, but sometimes there would be nice railroad tracks with no weight on that inside leg at slow speeds.

Why is my inside leg having so many problems? Why can't I put any weight on it, even at a slow speed, into the turn?

Any help is appreciated!

mountainxtc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Can you get someone to shoot some video of you and post it? Without seeing it I can't tell what is going on.

When shooting video, choose a consistent, groomed pitch, preferably a blue run. Have the cameraman/woman stand about 2/3 of the way down the run and shoot from below, side, and above as you pass.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What she said.

Also, get your stance/canting checked as this is a common problem with knock-kneed skiers.

mountainxtc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Then I tried another drill, also sometimes called "patience turns" by some people. This time my weight was supposed to be evenly balanced on each ski and I flex my ankles to one side, tipping the skis slightly on edge, letting the ski initiate the turn rather than my body/legs forcing the skis into a turn by swishing the ski tails or twisting my legs to change their direction. All I do is move the skis on edge and they turn. I do this very slightly and then flex the ankles to the other side to change direction. I take very shallow turns when I'm going slow, more of a slow back-and-forth movement. At slower speeds these turns take up very little horizontal space on the hill. As my speed picks up the turns have to become wider and move more across the hill.

On re-reading: I think you are describing roller blade turns, but I'm not sure why you are trying to keep even weight on both skis. Try this for an analogy: you are driving a car. your outside foot is the gas pedal, inside foot is the steering wheel. step on the gas whilst leading (directing the turn) with the inside foot (I find it easier to think about leading with the inside knee). The more you move the knee inside the turn, the more you increase the edge angle and bend the ski (if you are adequately balanced) thus tightening the turn radius.

Give it a go. Do still try to get the video though....

mwendell

Certified Ski Diva
Try this for an analogy: you are driving a car. your outside foot is the gas pedal, inside foot is the steering wheel. step on the gas whilst leading (directing the turn) with the inside foot (I find it easier to think about leading with the inside knee).

This is a very helpful analogy.
Thanks mountainxtc

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, I certainly have more success when my weight is on my outside leg. When I try to balance the weight on both skis and the inside leg starts to go zonky on me, I'll immediately shift my weight to the outside leg. It irks me, though, that the only way I can get my turns to work is to have my inside leg hanging like a loose noodle. Because the drill is new I know I do get my inside ski on edge often, but it is still not really "participating." However, since I know so little about what I truly should be doing, my opinion and feelings should count for little.

I am really trying to work on the details, so if I'm told to balance on both skis I truly try to do that. Traditionally I have skied with my inside leg just hanging out for the ride, outside leg doing all the work. I assume, based on what my eyes tell me, that true carving involves something from the inside leg other than slothfulness and an edge! Maybe I'm wrong, I sure don't know. I just realized I'm doing everything wrong, so don't ask me!

I have another group lesson tomorrow night. Hopefully that awesome instructor will be there. If I can get away from the children early my best option is to set up a tripod and get some video. Fortunately iMovie allows you to crop your videos, so even if it is filmed from a farther angle I'll be able to crop that and bring the shot closer. Let's see if I can get there in time to set up a video!

This whole experience does impress on me the need for instruction and guidance no matter how long you've skied. I thought I was getting pretty good! HAHAHAHAHAHA :ROTF: (But, I will be good soon, just wait and see!) My husband will be learning to ski this year. I'll be sure to get some instructor time for him so he's not stuck like me with bad habits.

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I couldn't film Wednesday night. Time was short and I'm sure the lighting would have been too dim during night skiing. But, my problem was much better. My best guess now is that I was having two problems: (1) figuring out my stance ( a problem for sure) and (2) I was going too slow on the green to roll the skis to edge and have contro (maybe a problem?)l. I'm trying to recover from a pretty strong backseat. My forward stance Saturday had me pushed way forward into my boots, but my upper body was too straight. It was very unnatural, but I was trying to really get myself forward. I was not, however, understanding how to "slouch" or relax the upper body over a bit. I had lots of pressure in my boot and a total robot upper body. I could tell I had NO NO NO relaxation in my body. I was pressing my boot so hard I had no way to flex the leg/ankle forward any more, but my upper body was just too upright. Last night he told me to pull my belly button to my spine. Made perfect sense. I've started taking ballet with the girls (I always wanted to take ballet!), and their very excellent rigorous teacher taught correct posture. It wasn't what I thought it was, with shoulders pulled back. She teaches pelvis tucked in, but to lengthen the spine and hold the shoulders naturally back without shortening the spine out. Pulling my belly button to my spine did the same thing. I just did my ballet lengthening of the spine but in a relaxed "athletic" (as they call it) stance. Immediately felt more comfortable, body had much more movement. My roller blade turns went much better, and my inner leg began to have much more control. Whatever balance I had was coming much more naturally. and I know I was putting more weight on the outside leg without the inside leg being just a dead fish.

I love Wednesday nights! He complimented me on how hard I was working to correct my problems. Yea!:clap:

bluebird

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am relearning to ski and am in a learning progression..I was trying to get on edge by flexing my ankles but I was bending my knees to much and back seating it..having same problem with inside leg. Instructor worked on initiating turns-it was really about body position/direction- and using a progressive stance to initiate the turn faster..(need an instructor here to chime in ) The cool tip I can illustrate to you ..she said sit down in the back seat (I sat down like I was sitting on a toilet) she said feel your thighs they are pumped..now get in your correct skier stance......feel your thighs now.. they are relaxed. Wow...turns came easier..am still working on it. Oh yeah, I was also advised to suck in the butt and gut-very athletic stance.I learned this from dance too...guess it is the same in skiing..right stance makes such a difference.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the same problem--I pick up my inside ski and take it along for the ride. Are there any specific drills to help with this?

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My only experience is with myself, so you should take my opinion with a great deal of caution! All I can say is that as I learn to turn correctly I seem to be getting feedback from my skis than the ability of me to use that inside ski more is strongly related to my body position and weight. Now that my stance is getting so much better I can tell that the inside ski is taking more weight and participating in the turn. The outside ski is still the workhorse, but the inside ski is playing her part, just like mountainxtc said, of being a steering wheel. With my weight more forward, it seems to give that inside ski stability, as if the weight on that inside ski allows the edges to engage smoothly and with control. But, I do believe I don't have my weight CENTERED over that inside ski, nor am I consciously thinking, "Give that inside ski some weight." It's more a byproduct of having my weight forward so the front of BOTH skis are interacting more with the snow.

Before that inside ski felt like it had little control. Now I can put the ski on edge, and my forward stance seems to allow the skis to glide through the turn better. I think the only reason I noticed this so strongly at all is because I had previously been so tuned in to why that inside ski would misbehave. It's nice to be in the driver seat finally!

But, as I said, I am inexperienced, and all I can relate to you is what I'm feeling!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Actually, it makes sense to me! The drill I did in my last lesson was to reach for the outside boot or knee, which seems to have created the natural balance of having proper weight on both skis. when I did this drill, I would lay two nice carved tracks (well, on the not-so-steep runs :D)

Oh, to be able to practice daily...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga