• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Controlled avalanche to clear Stelvio pass road for cycling, Switzerland/Italy

marzNC

Angel Diva
Have you ever driven more than 5 hairpin turns in a row? How about 20? How about 48? That's how many consecutive hairpin turns there are on the highway that crosses the Stelvio Pass that goes between Switzerland and Italy. Not only do people like to drive up the road, it's a major route for avid cyclists.

Check out the video posted on 23Apr2018 of the controlled avalanches used to start the snow clearing process for the summer season (Jun-Sep).

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/4650/watch-how-the-stelvio-gets-cleared-ahead-of-the-cycling-season

KathrynC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow, that's impressive!

I have driven that road, which was fun. I have also been a passenger on a coach, which was possible the worst travel sickness I have ever experienced...

This pass is often part of the Giro d'Italia route - if that is the case this year they will have to clear it soon as the race starts next week, although the stage is usually towards the end of May. Having said that, I haven't noticed it on this year's route map.

marzNC

Angel Diva
This pass is often part of the Giro d'Italia route - if that is the case this year they will have to clear it soon as the race starts next week, although the stage is usually towards the end of May. Having said that, I haven't noticed it on this year's route map.
Apparently not on the Giro d'Italia route for 2018. Was included in 2017. Perhaps the heavy snow coverage was a factor in the decision.

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
I have driven that road, which was fun. I have also been a passenger on a coach, which was possible the worst travel sickness I have ever experienced...
I'm pretty sure that my family drove the Stelvio Pass back in 1967. We spent the summer in Europe with a leased car. My older brother looked on the map for mountain roads with hairpin turns between Switzerland and Italy. We drove down so the stone markers were counting up so we didn't know how many more there would be. At one point a tourist bus driving up was stopped hugging the mountain side of the road so that cars going down could get by . . . barely. I remember my family talking about how that driver knew exactly how many more turns there were to before he got to the top.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I just watched that video 3 times - so amazing! Thanks for sharing!

merrydog

Angel Diva
Wow, just amazing. I guess they have done the calculations for whether the accumulating sluff would damage the roads below, still I worry/wonder. :fear:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Wow, just amazing. I guess they have done the calculations for whether the accumulating sluff would damage the roads below, still I worry/wonder. :fear:
I wondered too. Guess there isn't much choice because the expectation is that the road will be open by the end of May. Waiting for the snow to melt isn't an option. Does seem that some of the roadway will need repairs. Hard to imagine the road was built in 1820-25.

Found pictures of the switchbacks in winter from a year ago. Can see a lot more rocks compared to this winter.

https://drivetribe.com/p/Os1WyanURC-MPyNYJgPy2Q?iid=Q6mt59nNTRC1MGrrx3IXfA

marzNC

Angel Diva
Want to go skiing in Europe during the summer? Turns out the the Stelvio ski area is only open during the summer. Not just a short run or two either. There are eight lifts serving intermediate and advanced terrain. Really odd idea that the prep to open the lifts involves digging out the snow from around the lifts and the lodge. In addition to clearing the road that started this thread.

Clearing snow to start the 2014 summer ski season at Stelvio

Skiing at Stelvio in 2012

Here is a story about nordic skiing trip to Stelvio from August 2013 by an American XC skier and former nordic and biathlon racer. Chelsea Little is from New Hampshire and was living and working while working on a PhD in aquatic ecology in Switzerland. She'd skied all over the world before going to check out Stelvio in mid-summer.

https://fasterskier.com/fsarticle/summer-ski-odyssey-reveals-decaying-dreams-in-italy/

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna