• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Cold Toes in New Boots!

Laroken

Certified Ski Diva
Just coming back here to tell you ladies that you are so effing smart. I went skiing today. I wore super thin socks and buckled my boots loosely. The problem was significantly better, although my pinky toes and the outside of my feet still got tingly and “cold”. BUT HERE’S THE THING: it was 45 flipping degrees out today. I was absolutely NOT cold. So, despite the fact that I love the new boots and that they feel very comfortable, there is obviously some pinching or something going on somewhere that I am not detecting (which the thicker socks and the sock liners were then exacerbating). So back to the boot fitter I go. Thanks, ladies! I’m not sure how long it would’ve taken me to realize that this was the problem on my own!

Laroken

Certified Ski Diva
What was done to the boot to eliminate the crushing?
He was able to shave down a part of it to drop my foot a little bit lower in the boot, BUT he was upfront that I may have just purchased the wrong pair of boots for my feet and this may not solve the problem when I get back out there. He said this is the number one part of the foot that he fits for when selling a new pair of boots, because it is the part that a boot fitter can do the least about after the fact. Wuh wuh wuhhhhh. So fingers crossed on this solution, but I am only very cautiously optimistic. I might be in the market for a new pair of boots already, which I really can’t even believe I am saying.

brooksnow

Angel Diva
it is the part that a boot fitter can do the least about after the fact. Wuh wuh wuhhhhh.
Yes. That's why I asked what was done. The good news is that a very tiny bit of extra space may solve the problem, especially since the boots have felt comfortable.

I assume since you are working with a bootfitter that you have a proper footbed?

I also have problems with a very sensitive instep and any pressure makes my toes go numb. A very high instep makes that starts at my toes makes fitting even more fun. I have had very good luck with Dalbello cabrio style boots that have 2 side pieces and a separate tongue instead of overlapping (or not, in my case) over the instep. I'm currently in an older version of this boot: https://dalbelloboots.com/en-us/p/panterra-105-w-id-gw-ls-2024

Last week I struck out trying to buy new snowboard boots due to numb toes. None of the boots in stock had enough height just behind the toes.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Fingers crossed this works well as an ongoing solution!

Laroken

Certified Ski Diva
Yes. That's why I asked what was done. The good news is that a very tiny bit of extra space may solve the problem, especially since the boots have felt comfortable.

I assume since you are working with a bootfitter that you have a proper footbed?

I also have problems with a very sensitive instep and any pressure makes my toes go numb. A very high instep makes that starts at my toes makes fitting even more fun. I have had very good luck with Dalbello cabrio style boots that have 2 side pieces and a separate tongue instead of overlapping (or not, in my case) over the instep. I'm currently in an older version of this boot: https://dalbelloboots.com/en-us/p/panterra-105-w-id-gw-ls-2024

Last week I struck out trying to buy new snowboard boots due to numb toes. None of the boots in stock had enough height just behind the toes.
I do have a proper footbed, although that may be part of the problem. I am told that what I need on the footbed front is exacerbating the spacing/crushing issue at the top of my foot.

And thanks for the tip on the boots! I will look into these! I am super demoralized at the moment, and I am not sure I trust myself to pick the next pair. The current boots felt so good right out of the box; and then felt over the top amazing after my first fitting. I didn’t get any tingling or any discomfort or anything like that until after a couple of runs. So I’m not sure how I am going to detect this issue if/when I go to buy the next pair of boots, such that I don’t repeat my mistake all over again! I am also now doubting basically every decision I made in purchasing these boots, including the increased stiffness. I am 100% gun shy at the moment!

brooksnow

Angel Diva
The current boots felt so good right out of the box; and then felt over the top amazing after my first fitting. I didn’t get any tingling or any discomfort or anything like that until after a couple of runs.
So frustrating. After you ski with the new changes, report back please!

If the sock liners aren't thin enough you could also try wearing nylon knee-high stockings. I know some instructors (male) who wear them instead of ski socks.

newbieM

Angel Diva
I have the same issue. I thought I got my boots perfect but this weekend my toes were frozen and the top of my foot is numb. 4 days later it’s still numb. Hmmm.

I also have a really high instep. I just got the boots last season and just invested in custom insoles. Sigh.

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
I have the same issue. I thought I got my boots perfect but this weekend my toes were frozen and the top of my foot is numb. 4 days later it’s still numb. Hmmm.

I also have a really high instep. I just got the boots last season and just invested in custom insoles. Sigh.
I always feel my foot with my hand as soon as I take my foot out of my boots to assess if they are cold or not. I get cold feet, but also get numb feet and want to try and pin point when what is happening.

A few years ago, the top of my foot was numb for about 6 weeks post ski season. I know it was because I was over-tightening the bottom buckles to try and combat heel lift. I have since moved on past those boots as I quickly realized I could end up with longer term damage if I did that another season.

It sounds like this weekend was a bit of a one-off? Was it especially cold? Did you feel the need to buckle more tightly than normal?

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Hi just seeing this now.

There are many different reasons for toes going numb that include (but not exclusive to...) pressure on the top of the foot, footbed issues that put pressure under the ball of the foot, cuff of boot pinching veins in the calf area.
I know Phil helped @laine with her numb toes by addressing the calf. Everyone is different.

Anecdotally, I had a similar issue with my new boots when I used a footbed that didn't feel quite right.
I realized that the posting material went too far forward in the boot and was causing pressure under the ball of my foot, impinging on circulation.

Last edited:

Laroken

Certified Ski Diva
Update: the grinding made things soooo much better but still not perfect; I was still getting some tingling after being in them for a bit. Went back again, this time he gave me a cuff adjustment, and BINGO!!!! The problem seems to be solved!!!! I’m going for a trip next weekend, where I will be in them all day for a few days straight. If I survive that without the numbness returning, I will trust that they’ve been truly fixed!!! Fingers crossed!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Update: the grinding made things soooo much better but still not perfect; I was still getting some tingling after being in them for a bit. Went back again, this time he gave me a cuff adjustment, and BINGO!!!! The problem seems to be solved!!!! I’m going for a trip next weekend, where I will be in them all day for a few days straight. If I survive that without the numbness returning, I will trust that they’ve been truly fixed!!! Fingers crossed!
I had an inkling that the cuff may play a role in your cold toes, but without analyzing your feet/legs, etc... I wouldn't know for sure. Glad it worked out for you

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga