• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Clumps of snow push my skis around

Arthaey

Diva in Training
I'm a beginning XC skiier working on getting to intermediate (I've gone out 8 times so far).

Yesterday I went to Cabin Creek (a sno-park in Washington) to try night-skiing for the first time. We had just gotten a good amount of fresh snow, so we were looking forward to the skiing. Cabin Creek is normally groomed, but it had only been groomed on Wednesday, before the new snowfall.

I found the semi-groomed trail to be really difficult on my skinny skis*. I followed in my friends' tracks through the new snow, which created ruts that I couldn't easily push my skis out of to snowplow to slow myself on hills. Worse, there were previous people's ruts that had gotten hard and icy, which my skis wanted to jump into and trip me up. Finally, there were clumps and islands of snow (a few inches higher than the ground-level snow) scattered throughout the trail, which would push me around when my skis bumped into them -- I was unable to just "slice through" them like I had thought I would be able to.

I ended up having to start the hills already in snowplow position, even though that was excessively slow in the powder (which seems significantly slower than on hard groomed snow). I was afraid that if I let my skis go straight for a while to build up the speed I wanted, I wouldn't be able to push my skis back out into snowplow again to slow down.

Is this just a lack of strength in my legs, or lack of force, and I really just need to power through those chunks and ruts? Or is there a limitation on what skinny skis can do outside of nicely groomed trails? How do I avoid the old ruts "derailing" me?

Thanks in advanced for any tips!

* Photo of my skis:

3300697377_e331fc935a_m.jpg

abc

Banned
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the "chunk of snows"... Seems you should be able to simply ski over it if you can't slice through it, right?

As for the snowplowing. Yes, there's a simple technique to deal with that.

You don't just "push" the tail out like in downhill skiing. You pick up your skis (one at a time) and put them outside the track.

But first, it's useful to learn how to do a "half snowplow": with one ski in the track and one ski outside the track in a snowplow. By shifting your weight (varying the pressure) between the two skis, you can vary the degree of "plowing" to control speed.

Once you managed the half snowplow, you can start down with both skis in the track. Then, when you need to slow down, just take one ski out of the track and do the half-plow. If the track gets steep that the half-plow still doesn't slow you down enough, take the other ski out of the track and you can snowplow all the way down. Or put one ski back in the track when the slope flattens out.

One note, anticipate the turning. It's infinitely easier to "plow" on the outside of the turn! So for left turn, you want to take your right ski out of the track and use that as the brake, etc.

Second note: a lot of the time, you really don't need to slow down. If there's tracks going down, even if it's turning, just tuck and ride through it. Whoever made the track made the turn. So you're probably going to make it too. Don't sit back (just like downhill skiing), put your hands out front where you can see it and lean into the turn like you're on a bike. Your skis is quite likely just follow the track around fine. It actually feels pretty good! :smile:

Arthaey

Diva in Training
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the "chunk of snows"... Seems you should be able to simply ski over it if you can't slice through it, right?

By "chunks of snow" I mean, the snow was uneven. Not up-and-down wavy that I could just ride over; rather, distinct chunks (like soccer balls, or raised ridges) that were several inches higher than the surrounding snow. I would have had to lift my ski to get over them -- they wouldn't just ride over the change in snow heights by themselves.

You don't just "push" the tail out like in downhill skiing. You pick up your skis (one at a time) and put them outside the track.

I realize now that I left out two important facts: 1) I've never done downhill skiing, and 2) I generally ski outside the tracks, in the "skaters' area", even though I use track skis. (I want to practice there because my eventual goal is backcountry touring, not in-track racing.)

But first, it's useful to learn how to do a "half snowplow": with one ski in the track and one ski outside the track in a snowplow.

I've tried this before, but so far I don't have the balance to lift one ski the height of the track while moving. I guess I'll have to practice that!

Second note: a lot of the time, you really don't need to slow down.

Very true -- but "need to" and "want to" are different! I've managed to maintain my balance going down hills at speeds much faster than what I would like, so my balance seems to be okay, but I'm so scared from the adrenaline of the speed and the possibility of falling and hurting myself that I want to slow myself down.

If there's tracks going down, even if it's turning, just tuck and ride through it. Whoever made the track made the turn. So you're probably going to make it too.

It seems like this would be more true of the machine-set tracks (which I have successfully ridden out before, even if I didn't enjoy the speed). The random individuals' tracks in the "skaters' area" of the trail weren't as deep-set, and they criss-crossed each other all over the place. I was worried one ski would follow track A and the other ski would follow diverging track B, and I'd end up face-planting (which did happen once, hence the worry about it).

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm an advanced XC skier and an advanced beginner/budding intermediate downhill skier. I think I can help you out. I'm at work right now and we're super busy, but I'll muse over your concerns today and get back to you tonight. I want to assure you, in the strongest sense of the word, that you can figure all this out and not only get over your fear, but enjoy some speed. Believe me when I say that if I can go from where I was in 2004 to where I am today, ANYBODY can.

Two questions for you: do your skis have a fish-scale pattern on the underside, for the kick-and-glide, or are they smoother like skate skis; and do they have metal on their edges?

Sorry, two more questions: are you usually (meaning other than this particular outing) skiing in powdery snow or wetter snow? Does it get very icy if it's not groomed?

Arthaey

Diva in Training
I want to assure you, in the strongest sense of the word, that you can figure all this out and not only get over your fear, but enjoy some speed. Believe me when I say that if I can go from where I was in 2004 to where I am today, ANYBODY can.

Thanks for the encouragement. :smile: Do you have any specific advice? (I just borrowed In the Yikes Zone from the library based on a forum recommendation.)

Two questions for you: do your skis have a fish-scale pattern on the underside, for the kick-and-glide, or are they smoother like skate skis; and do they have metal on their edges?

My skis have tons of fish-scales -- a ski instructor commented that she'd never seen the pattern extend so far on a ski! The majority of the ski is fish-scaled, not just immediately under the feet. So I don't have too much trouble going uphill. And, since I don't like lots of speed, I'm fine with the lost glide from all those fish-scales. :p

My skis do not have metal edges. I've been told that they would help on icy conditions, but my budget isn't expecting the expensive of new skis soon, so I'd ideally like to learn techniques that work even with my non-metal-edge skis... If that's really not realistic, though, please let me know.

Sorry, two more questions: are you usually skiing in powdery snow or wetter snow? Does it get very icy if it's not groomed?

I'm skiing in the Pacific Northwest, which I'm told is wetter snow than elsewhere. I haven't been skiing anywhere else, so I don't have anything to compare it to.

It can get icy when not groomed, or if it's been a while since the last snowfall. It's typically been a very thin layer of powder over hardpack, which when scraped away by lots of skiers does get icy underneath.

abc

Banned
2) I generally ski outside the tracks, in the "skaters' area", even though I use track skis. (I want to practice there because my eventual goal is backcountry touring, not in-track racing.)
I'm not sure that's such a good idea.

Track skis perform best in track. Though they can be used outside the track by a skilled skier. To a degree, you're trying to learn to ski outside the track with the wrong tool. By insisting NOT using the tracks, you're making the learning process unneccessarily hard. So, I would suggest learning to ski in track efficiently before venturing off track.

Even when skiing off-track, in a group, you'll be skiing IN the track of the person in front of you. Until it's your turn to be in front "breaking trail", that is. The reason being, it's much more efficient to ski in a track, either made by machine or by other skiers. So a group would take turn to break trail and rest.

So, all in track skills are still useful even when going back country (such as picking your skis up to place them outside the track while moving at speed). And there're additional skills specific to back country. Instead of ignoring all the in track skills, you'll do better learning them first since you have an in track skis to begin with.

but so far I don't have the balance to lift one ski the height of the track while moving. I guess I'll have to practice that!
Your difficulty with multiple tracks and your inability with placing a ski outside the track could be related to the same root cause: inability to balance on a single ski.

When you're gliding down the hill in a track, try to lift one ski UP, and then put it back down. Try to balance on the ski that's still on the snow. By keeping the other ski up for longer and longer period of time, you'll FEEL the balance of gliding on just one ski.

While balancing securly on one ski, instead of putting the "in air" ski back down in the track, rotate the heel out and put it back down outside the track... You've now got a "half plow"!

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the encouragement. :smile: Do you have any specific advice? (I just borrowed In the Yikes Zone from the library based on a forum recommendation.)

My skis have tons of fish-scales -- a ski instructor commented that she'd never seen the pattern extend so far on a ski! The majority of the ski is fish-scaled, not just immediately under the feet. So I don't have too much trouble going uphill. And, since I don't like lots of speed, I'm fine with the lost glide from all those fish-scales. :p

My skis do not have metal edges. I've been told that they would help on icy conditions, but my budget isn't expecting the expensive of new skis soon, so I'd ideally like to learn techniques that work even with my non-metal-edge skis... If that's really not realistic, though, please let me know.

I'm skiing in the Pacific Northwest, which I'm told is wetter snow than elsewhere. I haven't been skiing anywhere else, so I don't have anything to compare it to.

It can get icy when not groomed, or if it's been a while since the last snowfall. It's typically been a very thin layer of powder over hardpack, which when scraped away by lots of skiers does get icy underneath.

Thanks for the info - I can get you a more detailed answer tonight after I get home (very busy at work today). abc, just above, gave you some good advice too. BTW, do you know what brand your skis are, and if they have a specific name (i.e. Rossignol Evos or some such thing)?

Arthaey

Diva in Training
BTW, do you know what brand your skis are, and if they have a specific name (i.e. Rossignol Evos or some such thing)?

I picked these skis up at a thrift store, so I only know what's printed on the skis themselves: Trak Grenoble-st, 180cm.

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm a beginning XC skiier working on getting to intermediate (I've gone out 8 times so far).

OK, I'm home from work and have gotten my son going on his homework, so I have a little bit of time. Also, I have to split this into two posts 'cause it's too long!

FIRST: remember to give yourself points for just getting out there and skiing, and for coming to this great board to chat and exchange ideas, tips, and so on. There's not as many of us XC types here, but everyone is very friendly and helpful.

SECOND: We will all warn you that skiing in general is a highly addictive activity, LOL! My personal variance is an almost uncontrollable glove fetish; I am always searching for the perfect glove for skiing.

Yesterday I went to [deleted URL] Cabin Creek, a sno-park in Washington to try night-skiing for the first time. We had just gotten a good amount of fresh snow, so we were looking forward to the skiing. Cabin Creek is normally groomed, but it had only been groomed on Wednesday, before the new snowfall.

I wish I had XC trails closer to me than a 2-hour drive. This sounds lovely. That said - track that hasn't been groomed for a few days, that's been chewed up by all kinds of traffic, can be rough going. Even if there's a little bit of new snow, until it's groomed it can be tricky. Also, since you were night-skiing, you got to deal with the remnants of the day's messes.

I found the semi-groomed trail to be really difficult on my skinny skis. I followed in my friends' tracks through the new snow, which created ruts that I couldn't easily push my skis out of to snowplow to slow myself on hills. Worse, there were previous people's ruts that had gotten hard and icy, which my skis wanted to jump into and trip me up. Finally, there were clumps and islands of snow (a few inches higher than the ground-level snow) scattered throughout the trail, which would push me around when my skis bumped into them -- I was unable to just "slice through" them like I had thought I would be able to.!

We were in Utah 3 weeks ago, and I XC skied the first morning to get my legs on and my confidence up. Same situation you encountered. Both the classic tracks and the skate surface were pretty well torn up, given the combined assaults of skiers, snowshoers, very excited dogs, and who knows what else. (My personal nemesis is people without snowshoes who tromp all over the beautiful newly-set tracks...sigh.)

You can't push out of tracks into a snowplow; you run into too much resistance from the side of the track. As abc mentions in the quote below, you need to learn how to get the foot closest to the middle of the trail up and out of the track and placed into a half-plow position on the skate surface. You need to be centered over your skis to do this - you transfer the pressure to the foot you're not going to lift, while staying centered, then quickly lift your other foot up and out of the track. Of course, you have to lift your foot in such a way that you don't get hung up by letting the ski's tail drag in the track. This takes a little bit of practice, but it's an extremely important skill to have.

Hard and icy tracks, whether set by machine or skier, will be fast. There's no way around that. I would stay out of those until you are really confident about being able to half-plow and aren't scared of the speed - but even then, I'd be cautious. Sometimes it's better just to stay away from them.

Clumps and islands - I ran into those all day this past weekend while downhill skiing, but they were slushy from higher temps. No fun at all! I had to increase pressure on the downhill turning ski by an amazing amount. What you are probably running into, however, is new snow that's been pushed around. You need to use more pressure on your front foot in the push-and-glide movement so as to "power" through the stuff. The more you do this, the better you'll get.

I ended up having to start the hills already in snowplow position, even though that was excessively slow in the powder (which seems significantly slower than on hard groomed snow). I was afraid that if I let my skis go straight for a while to build up the speed I wanted, I wouldn't be able to push my skis back out into snowplow again to slow down.

If you're unfamiliar with the terrain, it's a good idea to start in a snowplow, so you can get a feel for not only the terrain but how your skis are reacting to the snow. That said, however, I would strongly recommend that you work on having your skis parallel, then pushing out into a snowplow, and then parallel again (you'll need at least some incline to do this). Lather, rinse, repeat, about sixty gazillion times. This is an essential skill in all kinds of skiing. Once you have this down, XC hills will be much more do-able. (Just so you know, it took me a number of lessons before I got up the guts to do this, but I'm kind of chicken.)

Is this just a lack of strength in my legs, or lack of force, and I really just need to power through those chunks and ruts? Or is there a limitation on what skinny skis can do outside of nicely groomed trails? How do I avoid the old ruts "derailing" me?

Lack of strength - could be. I'm finding with downhill skiing I've really needed to work on my leg strength in terms of bursts of power, whereas in XC it's more sustained energy with occasional power. Cardio, weights, cross-training - they're all beneficial.

As far as what your skis can do, the scale pattern sounds like they are primarily for tracks, but I can't see where they'd not work at all outside of the track. The large scale pattern could be difficult for skating. The old ruts you just have to work around. That's where learning how to be balanced over your skis so well that you can transfer weight and pick up one ski is invaluable - if you look down the trail and see trouble, you can adjust to accomodate/miss that.

Being centered and relaxed enough to do this makes the sport all the more fun - because you know how to handle the quirks either Mother Nature or other users can throw at you.

By "chunks of snow" I mean, the snow was uneven. Not up-and-down wavy that I could just ride over; rather, distinct chunks (like soccer balls, or raised ridges) that were several inches higher than the surrounding snow. I would have had to lift my ski to get over them -- they wouldn't just ride over the change in snow heights by themselves.

Again, unless they were icy, you have a couple of choices - first, powering through them by really committing that forward foot plant with good pressure. Make sure you're over your knee when you do that. Your other choice, particularly if they are icy, is to learn to go around them - again, by being able to pick up a ski and change your direction. If the track is so torn up that there's a big ridge across it, stand up a little more as you go up the little hill then bend your knees more as you go down the other side. This can be tricky, and is one of those things you just have to try to see if you are comfortable with it. I will say I've never run into a ridge all across a trail.

(To Be Continued in next post!)

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I realize now that I left out two important facts: 1) I've never done downhill skiing, and 2) I generally ski outside the tracks, in the "skaters' area", even though I use track skis. (I want to practice there because my eventual goal is backcountry touring, not in-track racing.)

Using track skis in a classic kick-and-glide manner, while on skate surface, calls the power/strength thing into play more, because you are in essence creating a track (aka breaking trail or track). When I XC skiied in Utah 3 weeks ago, I had to increase the pressure I used on the forward foot because the track was long gone and the surface was basically a mess. If I had not increased the pressure, I'd have been sliding all over the surface. It was excellent practice and a heck of a workout! I will say that having such a large scale pattern will make it a little tougher, but I can certainly identify with the cost thing. I personally think it's really cool you found them at a thrift shop.

I've tried this before, but so far I don't have the balance to lift one ski the height of the track while moving. I guess I'll have to practice that!

Bingo. If you haven't taken any lessons, a good instructor would be incredibly helpful for you on this and other basic skills. If you've got the kick-and-glide down ok, a lesson or two (or several) could advance you very quickly. I would absolutely commit disposable income towards lessons over gear at this point if I were you.

Very true -- but "need to" and "want to" are different! I've managed to maintain my balance going down hills at speeds much faster than what I would like, so my balance seems to be okay, but I'm so scared from the adrenaline of the speed and the possibility of falling and hurting myself that I want to slow myself down.

OK, quick story (since this is turning into the Longest Post Ever): in 2004, DH took DS and I skiing. DS and I signed up for a downhill lesson and got the rental gear. My feet are impossible; couldn't get a boot that fit well but we cobbed something together (bad idea). I was TERRIFIED. I grew up in SoCal, snow is a novelty to us. After an hour of me not even being able to make a wedge, let alone get down any sort of incline, the very nice instructor switched me over to XC and probably saved my life and that of other skiers. Still, it took several more ski trips and lessons for me to get the skills down to the point where now you'll find me double-poling down XC slopes. I eventually got enough mileage under me to try downhill again, and it finally clicked and I understood why people do this.

Once your skills are solid, the slopes and the speed aren't as intimidating, because you know what to do to control your speed or to stop. This is very important, not only for your own safety and enjoyment but for the safety and enjoyment of others as well. I am almost paranoid about being in control, because skiers and boarders that rip down the slopes totally out of control make me crazy (not to mention really mad!).

You may have taken a few lessons; if you have, great! If not, I would strongly recommend them - show the instructor what you can do, and tell them what is either difficult for you or has you stymied or frustrated.

It seems like this would be more true of the machine-set tracks (which I have successfully ridden out before, even if I didn't enjoy the speed). The random individuals' tracks in the "skaters' area" of the trail weren't as deep-set, and they criss-crossed each other all over the place. I was worried one ski would follow track A and the other ski would follow diverging track B, and I'd end up face-planting (which did happen once, hence the worry about it).

Again, this is where the increased pressure on your forward foot comes into play. Unless it's very icy, the increased pressure will propel you through/across others' tracks. If it's really icy, however, it can be dangerous and it may not be the right day to ski if they haven't groomed. It looks like Cabin Creek has a grooming schedule and also a link to updated information - definitely check it before you head out.

My skis have tons of fish-scales -- a ski instructor commented that she'd never seen the pattern extend so far on a ski! The majority of the ski is fish-scaled, not just immediately under the feet. So I don't have too much trouble going uphill. And, since I don't like lots of speed, I'm fine with the lost glide from all those fish-scales.

Herringbone must be a piece of cake for you! It's a little tricky to get comprehensive info on this ski online, because it's older, but it sounds like it would be probably 70% in track and 30% out of track usage. So it will be slower going in some places, as you experienced.

I would guess metal edges just make it easier. You do need to use your edges from time to time; however; lessons would help you a lot with this. For example, if you're going down a very slight incline in-track and you don't want to step out of it to make a slight turn, you use your edges to help you turn.

The ice can be remedied somewhat by grooming, so your best bet might be to check that link on the Cabin Creek page for updated info. I thought it was a great page with tons more links to ski clubs, the Summit Nordic Center, and more.

I'm not sure that's such a good idea.

Track skis perform best in track. Though they can be used outside the track by a skilled skier. To a degree, you're trying to learn to ski outside the track with the wrong tool. By insisting NOT using the tracks, you're making the learning process unneccessarily hard. So, I would suggest learning to ski in track efficiently before venturing off track.

Even when skiing off-track, in a group, you'll be skiing IN the track of the person in front of you. Until it's your turn to be in front "breaking trail", that is. The reason being, it's much more efficient to ski in a track, either made by machine or by other skiers. So a group would take turn to break trail and rest.

So, all in track skills are still useful even when going back country (such as picking your skis up to place them outside the track while moving at speed). And there're additional skills specific to back country. Instead of ignoring all the in track skills, you'll do better learning them first since you have an in track skis to begin with.

Well said. I couldn't agree more! Basic in-track skills are your building blocks to more advanced XC skiing.

Your difficulty with multiple tracks and your inability with placing a ski outside the track could be related to the same root cause: inability to balance on a single ski.

When you're gliding down the hill in a track, try to lift one ski UP, and then put it back down. Try to balance on the ski that's still on the snow. By keeping the other ski up for longer and longer period of time, you'll FEEL the balance of gliding on just one ski.

While balancing securly on one ski, instead of putting the "in air" ski back down in the track, rotate the heel out and put it back down outside the track... You've now got a "half plow"!

Be careful not to lean over the ski onto which you've placed most of your weight - you still need to be centered over both skis. Then when you put that ski down into the half-plow, be prepared for the resistance. If you dig in the outside edge of that ski, you'll fall (that's your face-plant). However, if you put just a little pressure on the inside edge while you push your heel out, you'll have an immediate response of slowing down a bit.

Practice this by standing in the track: flex your knees a little, then while remaining centered, transfer your weight to one ski and pick up the other ski and place it outside the track. (Don't rely on your poles to balance you by planting them in the snow, BTW.) You can even practice this without skis at home - just flex the knees, transfer the weight, and lift and place one foot to the side.

I'm also reading "In the Yikes Zone" right now and I'm finding it applicable across many aspects of life. What a great book! But nothing can substitute for mileage - just getting out there and practicing and having fun. I do have one book that's been helpful - "Cross-Country Skiing, A Trailside Guide" by Brian Cazeneuve.

OK, enough for one post (now two)! I hope this is all helpful for you. Above all, I will again assure you that all these things can be overcome, and I will urge you to look into lessons, or more lessons if you've had some already.

Welcome to the board and enjoy!!

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
PS - Powder is slowest and tricky for control. Groomed track or surface without ice or slush is perfection. Icy anything is fast and possibly dangerous, and tougher for control.

abc

Banned
It just occurred to me the "helpful instructions and drills" in this thread are probably best read from the bottom up! :smile: The easier and more fundamental ones posted later and the earlier posts are the more "advanced" moves.

So let me just throw out one more tips, which I found very helpful (and great as a warm-up drill), and add it AT THE VERY BOTTOM since it's so "basic" yet useful! ;-)

- Find a flat area that's about 20-25 yard long.

- Put your poles down! Now you have no crutches. You have to balanced on your feet.

- Push off one ski and glide on the other ski until you stop moving. Don't put your other foot down during the glide.

- Repeat. Keep pushing off on the same foot and glide on the other (in other words, no alternating push and glide, just repeatedly push on the right and glide on the left, for example) until you reach the end of that 25 yard stretch. Count how many "push" (kick) you need to reach the end.

Now, you can turn around and push and glide on the other side (push on the LEFT and glide on the RIGHT). Also count the number of kicks you need to finish.

If the two are very different in the number of kicks required to reach the same distance, you're better balancing on one foot than the other. You'd quickly found out it's not the "kick" that matters, it's how long and how relaxed you can balance on the "glide" ski that matters. Work on the weak side till you get about the same number on both side...

Now that you have discovered how to balance and glide on one ski, the rest of the "tips" above should feel a lot easier...

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It just occurred to me the "helpful instructions and drills" in this thread are probably best read from the bottom up! :smile: The easier and more fundamental ones posted later and the earlier posts are the more "advanced" moves.

So let me just throw out one more tips, which I found very helpful (and great as a warm-up drill), and add it AT THE VERY BOTTOM since it's so "basic" yet useful! ;-)

- Find a flat area that's about 20-25 yard long.

- Put your poles down! Now you have no crutches. You have to balanced on your feet.

- Push off one ski and glide on the other ski until you stop moving. Don't put your other foot down during the glide.

- Repeat. Keep pushing off on the same foot and glide on the other (in other words, no alternating push and glide, just repeatedly push on the right and glide on the left, for example) until you reach the end of that 25 yard stretch. Count how many "push" (kick) you need to reach the end.

Now, you can turn around and push and glide on the other side (push on the LEFT and glide on the RIGHT). Also count the number of kicks you need to finish.

If the two are very different in the number of kicks required to reach the same distance, you're better balancing on one foot than the other. You'd quickly found out it's not the "kick" that matters, it's how long and how relaxed you can balance on the "glide" ski that matters. Work on the weak side till you get about the same number on both side...

Now that you have discovered how to balance and glide on one ski, the rest of the "tips" above should feel a lot easier...

GREAT drill and tip!! And I agree, read this thread from the bottom up.

I was amazed when I finally tried downhill again how much easier it was to balance, wedge, and so on - since I'd learned all that on XC skis, which of course are so much narrower.

Arthaey

Diva in Training
I'm going out again this evening. I'll be practicing these drills tonight and let you know how it goes! :smile:

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Awesome info in this thread! I've only xc skied 2x ever, the second time while it was dumping 8 inches of wet snow, but my dream of striding down to the Mall and around the DC monuments remains alive...

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Awesome info in this thread! I've only xc skied 2x ever, the second time while it was dumping 8 inches of wet snow, but my dream of striding down to the Mall and around the DC monuments remains alive...

WOW! That sounds like it would be just amazing. XC skiing the National Mall!

My favorite memory of XC skiing is while it was gently snowing very big snowflakes. I made my instructor laugh - I would just stop every now and then to hold my arm out and catch snowflakes, and then just marvel at them. I still think each one is a miracle and I could probably freeze to death getting lost in gazing at them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga