• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Closing day tragedy

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In 2007 our neighbors were skiing at Vail, where the husband’s parents lived, with their 5 year old daughter. An uphill snowboarder was speeding out of control, collided with the daughter and knocked her some distance. The snowboarder at least stopped. Once the dad confirmed his daughter was ok, he punched the snowboarder in the face and as a result Vail banned him for life. Bad behavior all the way around although as a parent I can understand the dad’s emotions.
I ski soooooo slowly and carefully around little kids. They're like squirrels - you never know where or when they're going to turn.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@snoWYmonkey Do not look at the Instagram or Ski Magazine Article. Just take a breathe. Too much idiocracy. :(
Keep your memories fond.
Thank you for the wisdom. I am following it some as my students will want to know, and I do also want to know how it will impact the industry in my state and county.

Amie H

Angel Diva
@skinnyfootskis the main dumb responses are from people not understanding what "uphill skier" means in this context, which is a HUGE part of the problem, as "good" commenters are reminding everyone.

This goes back to my idea about having to pass a "rules of the slopes" test before you can put your butt on a lift.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The tragic death at JH is making more people think than usual. Ski Area Management is widely read by managers and staff who work at all levels of the ski industry. I hadn't heard of the Snow Angel Foundation before.

May 3, 2024
" . . .
“This is not the outcome anyone wants when they go out skiing and riding, doing something that they love,” said Chauncy Johnson, co-founder of Snow Angel Foundation, a non-profit that works to educate ski areas and communities about on-slope collision avoidance. “We need to be able to have an open conversation about these things and build awareness.”

In 2010, a snowboarder collided with Johnson’s wife and five-year-old daughter. Johnson’s daughter and the snowboarder were both killed in the collision, and his wife sustained a traumatic brain injury. The experience led Johnson to partner with the National Ski Areas Association in 2016 on the collision awareness campaign Ride Another Day, and in 2023, he and his wife established Snow Angel Foundation to expand that work.

“A ski area is not as controlled an environment as we perceive, and there is a gap in skiers’ and riders’ understanding about how their behavior on the slopes impacts their safety and the safety of others within that environment,” said Johnson.

“Generally speaking,” he added, “intermediate runs are where most of your injuries occur, because people let loose on their speed and don’t allow enough space. They don’t realize that just because they can go fast comfortably, it doesn’t mean they can turn and stop quickly enough to avoid a collision. This is a major focus for our foundation right now.”

Snow Angel Foundation recently partnered with High Fives Foundation on a video illustrating “The Triangle of Safety,” which is comprised of speed, space, and self.

“How do we get better as a community?” Johnson asked. “I think there is a real challenge here, but I believe we can reduce collisions and increase enjoyment of the sport. We need to have better etiquette with each other on the mountain.” "

Posted January 2024

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@marzNC Thank you for sharing. I am very familiar with the snow angel project as it happened in Southern Wyoming and they have a few posters by lifts on our mountain. It helps initiate the conversation about safety, speed and the code with students who are often shocked when they see the posters.

Glad areas are caring.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga