• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Chairlift icebreakers

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
I personally like chatting on the lift; you can pretty much tell right away if the other person is into it or not, and if not, no big deal.

I had a lot of great conversations in Utah this year with now-locals who'd moved out there from wherever, asking them about how they liked it, where they're living, how the culture compared to where they were from, etc etc. I also found that locals are generally really wiling to take a run with you and show you around a little, as long as it's not a powder day. :smile:

Bottom line for me is that it's quick and easy to make ski buddies on the lift if you want to, and it can be nice to take a few runs with people if you're skiing alone. "Oh, wow, YOU LIKE SKIING TOO??? Are you going down the mountain after this??? No way, ME TOO!!!" ;)

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
From my evil side:
If the person on the chair says that they are not local, then I explain how I am local, then I wait for a creek or noise from the chair, then I say,
Uh Oh, not again! This is NOT good!

he he he he he, good one!

I can usually talk to anyone on the chair; but if they are quiet, no prob. I usually start with how's it going? or what time did you get out/conditions, and the like.

If no one else is on the chair I sometimes talk to myself. shhhhhhh

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Is this insane?

I posted a story somewhere on here about a Psychiatrist who wanted to analyze me and my need to "keep up with the boyz".

When I got to the top of the chair, I said, "Race ya to the bottom"

Now THAT'S funny! :laugh:

GimpyGal

Certified Ski Diva
When folks rent skis here - probably everywhere else too - there's always a big sticker near the tip with the person's name on it. My husband's absolute favorite thing to do when riding the chair with said folks is to say "how you doing Bob, or Kathy or whatever. The initial look on their faces is always 'do I know you'? Then they realize they've been had! A super good icebreaker.

F&M

Certified Ski Diva
When folks rent skis here - probably everywhere else too - there's always a big sticker near the tip with the person's name on it. My husband's absolute favorite thing to do when riding the chair with said folks is to say "how you doing Bob, or Kathy or whatever. The initial look on their faces is always 'do I know you'? Then they realize they've been had! A super good icebreaker.

That reminds me of my last ski day this year. I had just gotten on the chair with 2 other people when the lift stopped for about 10 minutes. As they conversed with each other, I noticed the uncommon last name written on the man's skis--and when they started talking about a "Kathy," I just had to break in and ask if it was the same Kathy who was a classmate of mine in grad school. Indeed, it was her husband and a friend. Small world!

Due to a knee injury, I like to use the foot rest on chairs that have them, so I often use the question "Do you mind if I pull the bar down?" to gauge if the other person wants to chat or not. Of course this can get an occasional negative/snappy response, but usually it's enough to get something going of the person wants to talk.

cinnabon

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is me - I'm not all that comfortable starting conversations with people I don't know, especially if I'm alone.

And this is exactly why!

(Although I often wonder with the advent of all the Bluetooth how many people are really talking to the voices and how many are on the phone! Used to be you could tell the ones to stay away from, but not anymore . . .)
This is me too - I am reading this thread thinking about how unfriendly a person I am!:redface:... Especially considering I ski mostly alone. Also, I am usually listening to my ipod, but because it's attached to the speakers in my helmet no one can tell this, and sometimes they start talking to me. If they do, I will turn it down and participate in the conversation, but I am certainly not the one to initiate it. I usually ski during the week, so am often on the chair alone anyway.

Maybe I will make more of an effort to be sociable next season - probably a great way to meet people.

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Wow. It's interesting to hear that other women are skiing alone too. I ski alone ALOT, and it often feels to me like I must be the only person in the world without a ski buddy. (though I know that's not so).

I do ski with friends and family at times, but I don't know anyone who is as passionate about skiing as me or who skis at the same level. So that means I usually ride up alone or with strangers.

I'm generally not the one to initiate a conversation (once in awhile), but am happy to engage if someone speaks to me.

RachelV: So interesting to hear that you've found folks who will actually share a run and do a little impromptu guiding. Don't know why, but I always think I would be imposing on their day. Glad to hear that not everyone reacts that way! Especially since I find myself trying to explore these huge resorts alone and feeling like I need to be somewhat conservative at my skill level (kinda 7 1/2? :D). (8 on a good day as I saw MaineSkiLady describe it in another thread :smile: )

I know I'm missing alot of terrain I could probably ski because I either don't know about it, can't figure out how to get to it, or don't feel comfortable trying it alone for the first time. Perhaps I should be tapping my chairlift mates a bit more? Not my personality though . . .

cinnabon

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm generally not the one to initiate a conversation (once in awhile), but am happy to engage if someone speaks to me.

RachelV: So interesting to hear that you've found folks who will actually share a run and do a little impromptu guiding. Don't know why, but I always think I would be imposing on their day. Glad to hear that not everyone reacts that way! Especially since I find myself trying to explore these huge resorts alone and feeling like I need to be somewhat conservative at my skill level (kinda 7 1/2? :D). (8 on a good day as I saw MaineSkiLady describe it in another thread :smile: )

I know I'm missing alot of terrain I could probably ski because I either don't know about it, can't figure out how to get to it, or don't feel comfortable trying it alone for the first time. Perhaps I should be tapping my chairlift mates a bit more? Not my personality though . . .
I could have written this post, especially the last paragraph - I am 100% in the same boat! I have been struggling to get to know the resorts out here, and have been holding back a lot in my skiing, mostly out of anxiety about getting in over my head or something happening. It's been frustrating sometimes staying on less challenging terrain than I wanted to be on, although this got better over the course of the season. It would never occur to me to initiate taking a run with someone, even when I run into other people skiing alone. But in retrospect, I guess I really should have made more of an effort.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
agree.....as a host, I am lucky to be able to buddy-up with all sorts of skiers, both other hosts and guests of all abilities, and follow them. Guests do hook up with me when they see the coat and I'm happy to give them an adventure.

On a recent powder day, a guest from Florida came up to us and asked if she could ski with us.....she was not disappointed....

Really, each resort has its treasures and traps....and I owe those who have shown me the way over the years for helping me unlock these....with more to explore.

GimpyGal

Certified Ski Diva
God bless my DH for being so gregarious on the chair (although sometimes he gets an elbow in the ribs when he becomes a wiseass!). We moved here to Park City not knowing a soul. His very first day skiing he rode up the chair with another single fellow and by the time they got to the top this fellow had offered to show him around. Turns out this fellow had been a winter resident here for 30 plus years. And now four years later because of him we have a wonderful circle of friends - both part and full time - we probably never would met if my husband hadn't spoken up on that chair ride.

skatha

Certified Ski Diva
I always talk...I usually start out with.."where are you from?"
Or, bring up the subject of kids....
If the person doesn't readily respond, I stop..I appreciate people also want to get away, too...

plainjane

Certified Ski Diva
Typically the conversation starter "where are you from" or "having a good day?" People are 95% of the time nice and friendly and we learn some interesting things. The people we don't attempt to converse with are the ones with their iPods on and they are in their own world, we've been ignored enough times in those situations. For me it's a downer to ride up with people whining about snow conditions--then get off the hill! You're outside in the beautiful mountains on skis, quit complaining!

Jilly

Staff member
You're outside in the beautiful mountains on skis, quit complaining!

The ole - "beats a good day at the office eh?"

At Tremblant you have to first figure out if they speak English or French. As a regular (and a member of the Tremblant-insider) I get asked all kinds of questions about the mountain from visitors. Hubby and I have toured many visitors around the mountain.

When I get on the chair as a single, I first listen to the rest if they speak. Then you know which language to try. If the gondy is pack (8 total) and everyone speaks French it can be a long ride to the top without some basic knowledge of the language.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga