• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Buying via internet? E-Bay?

Kayakgirl

Certified Ski Diva
What is the experience and thinking about internet purchases, especially skis and bindings? I don't have qualms about buying via internet from any of the many well-established vendors (some of which have well established brick and mortar businesses too).

Here's where I'm perplexed -- the E-Bay thing. I'm finding mainstream internet vendors that will put up, oh, maybe one pair of something in their E-Bay "store." At $300 to $400 less than on their regular internet site, for the same thing (year, model, length, binding option, etc). What's with that? They are listed as new and under warranty. But am I chancing a set of skis where the flex is off, or the flex between right and left is a bit mismatched? Why else would they put just a pair or two of regular stock on E-Bay? At this point in the season, some of the deals seem to fall into the "too good to be true" category. Are their hidden risks?

Your thoughts and experiences?

cinnabon

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For the most part, I think the risks are minimal. I've bought and sold a lot on ebay, and have seldom had problems, epspecially from established vendors. Just check out their feedback. They have to put the stuff at low prices to be competive with other ebay vendors - I've seen it done with camera gear and other stuff, but that does not mean anything is wrong with it.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
About 75-90% of our 16 ski quiver was purchased on e-bay. Other than some repairable edge/base damage (from rails, logs, rock), we've had no issues with the used ones or the new ones.

If you're looking at used, avoid anything with core shots or on-edge base damage, even if it says "professionally repaired", unless you're prepared to re-do the repairs. Make sure you get plenty of pictues of bases, edges, and bindings. Check on the 'net to make sure the bindings are indemnified. Definitely don't buy skis that have already been drilled more than 2x.

If you're considering new, watch anything coming from out of the US (like Canada). Depending on shipping method, you may get hit with import or duty charges of $90 or more. :eek:.

Otherwise, you should be good to go. Just keep in mind that you'll still have to pay to get them mounted and/or adjusted, and some shops will treat you like crap and overcharge you if there's even a hint of e-bay when you bring them in.

Kayakgirl

Certified Ski Diva
Good advice on buying. Don't think I'd buy anything but new, at least not right now, since all I'm looking for is a primary ski.

But still -- why why why does a business with a major internet presence put up a single pair or two of skis into an E-bay store, while selling the same thing through their regular internet store for much more? Doesn't make business sense to me unless there is something about the skis going out through the E-Bay that might be questionable for a regular purchase.

Can anyone explain to me why these bargain E-Bay deals show up through vendors with a regular internet presence? Can't help but want to understand the logic behind it, in order to trust it.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Quick cash flow and/or to test the market. If you mark one pair of skis down on your web-site you have to mark them all down. If you need cash, which most businesses do going into January, it's a quick selective way to mark down a limited number of inventory for quick turn-around. The other option is to test a few different price points to see where the market is biting.

Kayakgirl

Certified Ski Diva
Ah, now, that makes sense. Very interesting . . .

I'll try to set aside my paranoia then. In years back, I used to go into ski shops and hand-flex the skis. I had a pretty good feel for things. I could pick off softer/harder flexing pairs of otherwise identical skis. And sometimes found mismatched flexes in a pair. A particular problem with wood core skis, since wood is a natural material that can't always be matched perfectly in the production process.

So for present purposes, at least, I'm willing to assume the E-Bay prices I'm seeing are marketing baits, of sorts. As I said, interesting . . . Thanks, Gloria.

Bumblebee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Very good point about "testing the market". In Europe the big ebay sellers come out of Germany. Established shops are offering Volkl Grizzlys at anywhere between 1290 and 1500 euros! :eek:

However, when these go to auction they're going for around 600-800 - THAT is "market value".

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
If you find something of interest, ask us - some of us have had very good "scores" on eBay and are familiar with some of the vendors. Someone here might know the seller from first-hand experience!

abc

Banned
Or you can just call them and ask.

When I see something on eBay or for that matter, say hotel.com, I google it to get their direct website. Sometimes the direct price is better. Other times not. But either way, I get a feel of the "real" merchant behind the web image...

And if there's significant complains against the merchant, they'll jump right out on google too! :smile:

Kayakgirl

Certified Ski Diva
Well, I have figured out with one merchant why the skis were a full $350-$400 below any other price I could find . . . the merchant was listing an 07/08 pair as "O8" and showing a picture of the 08/09. The specs, though, are for the older model. Good return policy etc. But they aren't being very careful to distinguish last year's ski from this year's (which underwent some significant changes in this particular instance).

If I find anything really enticing, rest assured I'll be asking y'all if the deal seems like a good one, and the merchant is one anyone has dealt with. Thanks everyone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga