• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Breckenridge via RV

Dynastar

Certified Ski Diva
DH and I are palnning a trip out West in Jan of 2012. We will be going through Colorado with our RV (Class A--36 foot vehicle) and saw Tiger Run RV resort 6 miles from Breckenridge. It would be a bonus if we could stop for a few days and get in some skiing there. We have always wanted to do a RV ski trip somewhere.

Has anyone ever been there? How is the drive up?

Even if we had to stay somewhere in Denver and drive to Breckenridge, that would be OK too. We just do not want to pass up an awesome ski opportunity if we do not have to, since we are headed out that way anyway.

Just curious if any Divas have ever done a RV type ski trip, and would you do it again?

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is a great question. DH and I have discussed the possibility of using an RV for ski vacations as well. Well, actually, we don't have an RV yet (but that's a long story). Winterization, frozen pipes, and heat are just some of the questions we have. If you don't mind, which RV do you have and how do you plan to deal with freezing temps?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
we have friends who keep their camper at tiger run all winter. have you checked into whether they allow short-term reservations? I thought it was more of a long-term deal.

my friends usually drive up on a clear day in December. they tow their camper with a truck. busses do drive up these roads all the time, so I assume it's doable, but I can't speak to the drive. in general, you'll want to shoot for a time when your direction of travel has minimal traffic. cotrip.org is a great resource for current road conditions.

Dynastar

Certified Ski Diva
This is a great question. DH and I have discussed the possibility of using an RV for ski vacations as well. Well, actually, we don't have an RV yet (but that's a long story). Winterization, frozen pipes, and heat are just some of the questions we have. If you don't mind, which RV do you have and how do you plan to deal with freezing temps?

We have a 2001 Damon Intruder (I think damon changed their name to Thor now) and we are not really sure about all the details yet (like freezing temps etc) but really want to do this.

I will also have to check with Tiger Run Resort ........because I was looking everything up on my IPOD and my eye start to bug out on that after a while. really hope it is not just long term :(

We actually came up with the idea after seeing a RV parking area at Holiday Valley resort in West NY. It was listed in their brochure.

I have never skied out West and we thought...they have got to have RV friendly places too. So, if anyone knows of any place that is RV friendly for skiing...let me know. We really want to make this dream a reality soon ;)

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I may be completely off-base. I asked DH, and he thinks it's just a regular RV place with long-term options. Your absolute best bet is to just call Tiger Run and talk to them.

I know that our friends have at least a few hours of work to do at the beginning and the end of the season; they also have some amount of stuff to do to de-winterize and winterize every time they come up. I don't really know the details, though, and how much is a matter of convenience for a long-term stay vs. necessity to keep everything working.

WENDY

Diva in Training
If you can go without hook-ups you can stay at the free parking lot in Breckenridge for $5 a night. We also have stayed at the top of Hoosier pass. I have started a blog about winter RV camping and skiing at rvwinterski.com. I have covered Breckenridge and Monarch so far. We have not stayed at tiger run but we have bought propane from them.

Dynastar

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks WENDY,

We have talked about this idea a lot lately (DH and I) and it is definitely going to happen :smile: We both are adamant that we are going to go to Breckenridge via RV this December.

Thanks for the info...we can go without hookups since we usually take the RV out early spring before the campgrounds have their water on etc. so, that will not be an issue.

I am sooooooo excited as this will be my first time skiing anywhere out West!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
A couple of things to keep in mind: in traveling from Midwest to high altitudes, your engine is going to be really affected by this higher altitude and will "lose" a significant amount of power. You might want to discuss this with your RV dealer/mechanic before the trip, as a tweak might be prudent/necessary.

January? Best to keep some kind of heater stashed - not just for comfort but the status of the engine>starter. Friends of ours (and fellow diva BKH319) RV to Sugarloaf (Maine) every weekend (and then some :wink:) and had theirs "freeze" solid during the Diva Summit here - would NOT start after a frigid weekend. Eventually, a heater got it thawed enough to start up, but it was undoubtedly a real hassle for them.

Otherwise, what a great way to travel to CO! :thumbsup:

Christy

Angel Diva
I don't think RV lots with hookups are that uncommon at ski resorts--both of the places I ski (Stevens Pass and Crystal Mountain in WA) have these.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna