• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Breathing fresh life into the packed lunch / breakfast

RockSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Packing lunches...
Something that I do most evenings, and not always happily.

But recently I came upon a website that provides terrific ideas for packing lunches, Japanese (bento) in style if not always in content (e.g., hummus and dolmades).

https://lunchinabox.net/faq/

There are plenty of good ideas for adults, but many of the examples shown are for a preschooler. Helpful to see an adult and child version, often with some variation in terms of texture, spices, etc.

The bento tight-fit approach to filling up containers (even ordinary supermarket ones) looks VERY promising for ski days -- which tend to see me packing not only lunches, but also breakfasts and post-ski snacks. I can see the advantage of having a series of containers in the cooler, some of which would be transferred to a backpack for the day. Would cut down on the in situ assembling...

Eating an egg for breakfast or lunch just seems more interesting if shaped like a star...or a pig...

https://lunchinabox.net/2006/06/22/williams-sonoma-for-egg-molds/

Great tips for how to enjoy plane trips and how to 'rescue' restaurant leftovers that would otherwise go to waste, with ingenuity and pack-a-long containers:

https://lunchinabox.net/2008/01/03/avoid-airplane-food-pack-your-own-bento-lunch/

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow - that's actually really cool. I pack my lunch every day (and even dinner too a couple nights a week), and I have to admit it's getting old eating the same things. I'll have to browse that website some more to get some inspiration.

RockSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hope that site provides some inspiration, TradyGirl.

Yesterday I bought some new containers (including some tiny ones from a major camping store, for salad dressings, soy sauce, etc).

Then, I was up until almost 3pm reorganizing our kitchen to better reflect the fact that about half of the food handling and preparation that I do is for meals and snacks that will be eaten out of the house. Mysteriously, two drawers (out of a total of 4) were chock-full with things that are hardly ever used. Meanwhile, the containers that I have been using for lunches, etc. were all on the bottom shelf and piled every which way. How did that happen? No wonder I've been regarding lunch-making as a tedious chore.

My mid-year resolution: I will enjoy packing lunches. I will, I will. And then I am more likely to enjoy eating them, too. :smile:

Bumblebee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What a wonderful site - thank you!

I too am a packed-lunch devotee - breakfast too. My office is right at the bum end of town and there's nowhere around to grab anything to eat which doesn't either i) cost a fortune, ii) is full of artificial crap or iii) is composed of dubious cuts of animals mixed with fat! :D

I will definitely be using this site and bringing a little inspiration to lunch.

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I found the "flower-pot" bbq smoker on that site very cool! Now on my list of projects to do.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga