• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Boulder in October

Mary Tee

Angel Diva
My very favorite nephew is getting married in Boulder the first weekend in October. If he wasn't such a sweetie, I'd give him a hard time about why he didn't plan the wedding for ski season. My question for the divas from that part of the country...what should I make a point of seeing/doing in October? I can't believe my first trip to Boulder and I won't be skiing :doh:

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
October is a beautiful time here. Leaves are still around and colorful, temps can vary wildly and we can even have snow. How much time will you have?

Christy

Angel Diva
Hey, I have a nephew getting married in Boulder in September! (Actually we are staying in Boulder and they live in Boulder but the wedding is in Lyons). I have been to the area many times and my own suggestion would be to spend a day (or more) at Rocky Mt National Park--it's ony about an hour to the edge of the park--though I know the local divas will have good suggestions as to what to see more locally.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My very favorite nephew is getting married in Boulder the first weekend in October. If he wasn't such a sweetie, I'd give him a hard time about why he didn't plan the wedding for ski season. My question for the divas from that part of the country...what should I make a point of seeing/doing in October? I can't believe my first trip to Boulder and I won't be skiing :doh:

Oh, but it will be lovely! (Isn't October lovely pretty much anywhere?)

bouldergirl

Certified Ski Diva
As Robyn mentioned, the weather in or near the mountains is hard to predict in the fall. The deciduous trees will likely still be golden, and last year (my first in Boulder) we didn't get snow in Boulder itself until the week of Halloween. However, the higher elevations are only snow-free for a short time in the summer. Don't plan to do any really high hikes (12,000ft+) unless you know how to travel over snow. There's usually a lot of beautiful trails still open in the lower areas in the fall and year round. Around town, there's Mt. Sanitas, Flagstaff Mtn, Green Mtn, and Bear Mtn, depending on how fit you're feeling. North is Rocky Mountain National Park (variety of terrain, lots of wildlife). South is Garden of the Gods, Manitou Springs cave dwellings, and Cave of the Winds (all near Colorado Springs and open well into the fall, if not year round). West is a great trail to Hanging Lake (& Bridal Veil Falls) near Glenwood Springs. There's lots of state parks around too. Eldorado Canyon (W) and Roxborough (S) state parks are easily accessible and offer some great views with little to no effort. If you're into sports, there's a Colorado Buffaloes football game on Oct 2. If you like museums, there's a ton in Denver, not so many in Boulder. There's restaurants galore, and some small theatre/ballet productions, not sure what's playing when. I hope that you enjoy your visit--I've only been in Boulder a year and find I'm still discovering new things to see and do here!

Christy

Angel Diva
If we want to go for a walk in/near Boulder the morning before our afternoon wedding, what's the prettiest place to do so? Just a mile or two.

bouldergirl

Certified Ski Diva
Christy, if you want to "climb" (hike uphill on easy trails) to where you can see cool rock formations and get a great view of Boulder, I would recommend the Royal Arch trail (0.8mi 1-way, 880ft elevation gain) or Mt Sanitas (3.1mi loop, 1225ft elevation gain). If you want something flatter but still very nice, there's Red Rocks Trail (0.5mi 1-way, 300ft elevation gain) or Chatauqua Park (hike as far as you want). Check out the city's trail web pages:
Royal Arch/Chatauqua - https://www.bouldercolorado.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2996&Itemid=1035
Red Rocks - https://www.bouldercolorado.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3029&Itemid=1035
Mt Sanitas - https://www.bouldercolorado.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3024&Itemid=1035

Christy

Angel Diva
Thanks. Chatauqua Meadow looks super cool. I love meadows. I'll keep a list and then see what time we actually wake up (the rehearsal dinner is the night before so I'm anticipating a somewhat rough morning).

Mary Tee

Angel Diva
Oh, but it will be lovely! (Isn't October lovely pretty much anywhere?)

Yes, absolutely!

October is a beautiful time here. Leaves are still around and colorful, temps can vary wildly and we can even have snow. How much time will you have?

Only about 5 days, and I am probably being unrealistic about how much I can cram into 5 days, considering much of it will be taken up with family stuff, but...I really don't want to miss any of the "must see while in Boulder" stuff!

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Robyn and I took a little hike on this trail about 10 days ago ... it should be beautiful in fall. It's 3 or 3.5 miles round trip, if I remember right, with a stream the whole way along. Not good for wide vistas if you want to go look at big mountains, but very pretty up and back. And not too hard: it isn't flat or anything, lots of up and down but not much elevation gain. I wanted to take my ailing doggy along, so shade and water were important. She did just fine, could have gone farther, in the end. But with her lungs, I just wasn't sure.

38647_1533196890729_1258990823_1497688_6819044_n.jpg

38091_1533196770726_1258990823_1497687_7349226_n.jpg

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree that the trail Pinto and I did would be a nice, easily accessible trail that wouldn't take much time. A hike around Chataqua or Mt. Sanitas would be nice as well. I'd offer to tour guide but I think after the fall I had while hiking with Pinto and the fact that I'll be 3 weeks from my half marathon I might avoid activites that are high risk for falling/injuring myself.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga