• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

boots as a carry-on??....

skigirl2

Diva in Training
Trying to eliminate as much of the added baggage fees when traveling and was told that some people carry there boots over their shoulders when getting on the plane. Has anyone else done this? I see the added advantage...no chance of lost boots!!...but would this be considered your carry-one?

Skigirl2:noidea::noidea:

Jilly

Staff member
I put mine in my backpack that I carry on. Not sure what you can do now though. Maybe Lola and RachelV can help as they are travelling right now!

I'm on a ski trip right now. I packed my Transpack with my boots, helmet, gloves, neck gaitors, ski pants, and a complete set of layers for a day of skiing in case my luggage was delayed. My Transpack fits perfectly in the overhead bins of any decent sized airplane. Then I take a soft briefcase that I can wear across my body that holds my laptop, wallet, glasses, personal items, etc. Those two items are my carry ons.

In my checked luggage is my suitcase with a soft purse to use in the evenings in lieu of the briefcase, and I took my skis, poles, an extra pair of shoes, and two more clothing items in my SporTube. Since both the suitcase and SporTube wheel, and I have two free hands with the Transpack on my back and briefcase across my body, I can manage all four pieces of luggage fairly easily. I do look like a Sherpa though and it's tricky getting the Transpack back on my back in the airplane after landing, but it works for me!

skigirl2

Diva in Training
Thanks for the info....omgosh the helmet..i forgot about that!! Maybe I can wear it!!We decided to forgo paying for skis as luggage, and just rent hi end demos as we are both looking for skis anyway!!!.....hmmm I guess we'll have to do a dry run with the lugggage to see how it all works out....not sure what a transpack is but I'm pretty sure i don't have one!!! I'm also a pretty big clothes horse as well....i guess i should just move out west...that would solve all of it!!! Hope your enjoying your trip wherever you are!!

Trixie

Certified Ski Diva
I've taken my boots as carry-on before, and there didn't seem to be a problem.

My friends once were going on a ski trip and their bags were overweight, so they put their ski boots on, checked in, walked through security, and then took them off! :laugh: So you have that as a last resort!

marzNC

Angel Diva
After reading about the Transpack (here, where else?) I decided to get one for Diva Week. Happened to catch the tail end of a 24-hr sale at eBags.

Turns out there is more than one model. eBags has good photos of how things fit. I decided to try the Transpack Sidekick Pro, which has a spot for a laptop but the boots are outside. Fine for airports but wouldn't keep boots dry on a long walk in a snowstorm. The other Transpack models keep boots inside, as well as having space in between for a helmet.

https://www.ebags.com/transpack/brand_search/index.cfm?brandid=38

By the way, there are also Transpack Ice versions for ice skates, not ski boots.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I usually carry mine over my shoulder and then take a backpack or purse or whatever as my second carry-on. The boots are very easy to stow if they aren't packed in anything.

I have a Transpack, but I usually check it (without ski boots) because it gets really fat with boots and stuff in it, harder to stow in the overhead bins. But then I can repack things and use it as a boot bag once we get to our destination (if I need a boot bag ... if we're staying slopeside, I just leave it at home. No need for it.)

The other thing I've done, if I'm planning to ski the day I travel, is to pack the boots and a set of base layers, pants, hat, goggles etc. in a rollaboard suitcase. Then, if the luggage is delayed or something, I can still rent some skis and get a half day in.

Christy

Angel Diva
My ski boots and all of my clothes and toiletries fit into a carry on suitcase. My helmet and my skis fit into the ski bag. My husband cheats a bit and puts some clothes in with our skis but I have no problem fitting boots and everything else I need into a carry on suitcase.

abc

Banned
My friends once were going on a ski trip and their bags were overweight, so they put their ski boots on, checked in, walked through security, and then took them off! :laugh: So you have that as a last resort!
Envy the boarders, many of them wear their boots on their feet!

Though to be honest, I stuff the inside of the boot with socks, scarves and other odds and ends. So it's not all wasted space.

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We strap the helmet to the outside of our carry-on. :eyebrows: Never had any issues. :clap:

Nadine_A

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm getting a hot gear bag, which I plan to carry on. I'm packing my boots and one set of ski gear (including helmet) in it. Learnt that lesson when the airline lost my luggage going to Japan. I missed a full ski day:mad:

I hope there are no issues with that bag. I'll be carrying it on my shoulders and have another bag for my laptop and travel essentials.

Lola

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I put mine in my backpack that I carry on. Maybe Lola and RachelV can help as they are travelling right now!

Like SkiNowWorkLater, I use my Transpack as a carryon with my boots inside. Unlike SkiNowWorkLater, I include my gloves, gator, skipants, etc. in my checked luggage. I figure, if they loose my luggage, I can buy all that stuff and rent skis and poles, but I would still have my beloved boots. In the center of my Transpack, I put my laptop, wallet, phone, books, water, etc. to carry on the plane.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga