• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Blisters

bouldergirl

Certified Ski Diva
Does anyone have any suggestions for preventing blisters while hiking?

I've always had a problem with blisters, especially at the back of my heels (from ascending a steep slope) but sometimes on the underside of my feet (heel or ball of foot) as well. I've tried a ton of hiking boots, ascent shoes, etc. with no real difference. I've tried using single socks, and the combo of a thin liner sock with a heavier wool sock, no difference. Band-aids and moleskin are useless, as my feet perspire when hiking. The only thing that I've had work has been to completely cover my heel with really sticky athletic tape, which is a hassle to do and tough to get off again.

I went to REI and had a good long talk with a boot guy there. I'm currently trying to break in a new pair of boots (Zamberlan), and am trying some different sock brands (REI Coolmax liners and Smartwool outers), but was wondering if there are any other products out there that I should try? Are there any foot antiperspirants or anti-blister sprays/powders/creams/etc. that you ladies can recommend? Help!!!

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am very prone to blisters, I have bone spurs on my heels and they are almost inevitable when hiking. My best, although not foolproof methods are: Take extra socks along. Bandaids etc are worthless pretty much, I agree. The spray on bandaid stuff is a miracle though as long as your feet are dry when you use it.

altagirl

Staff member
I have an anti-blister stick that is like a really thick Vaseline type stuff. But what seems to work best is wearing nylons (like knee highs) under my hiking/XC skiing socks. But sometimes I still blister anyway. And if I forget, I'll be several miles from my car and notice that I'm bleeding through my socks. :(

bouldergirl

Certified Ski Diva
Gloria, altagirl, thanks for the suggestions. I'll give your ideas a try. If nothing else, at least I know that I'm not alone in this.

Skise

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I sometimes use Compeed anti-blister stick. 2 socks and always have extra socks handy because having moist socks is a sure way to get blisters. I also remove my shoes and socks every time I stop to eat or rest and add some more anti-blister stick.

wpsally

Certified Ski Diva
Bodyglide! It comes in a stick like deoderant. You rub it on your problem areas (or everywhere) and it will prevent chafing which causes the blisters. I use it on my feet, inner thighs, random other places. It's a miracle. I would also recommend coolmax or smartwool socks and only one sock. When I used to run, I found some great double layer socks -- a single sock that had two layers to it, so one was against your foot, one your shoe and they'd move separately so as not to rub your foot. Worked great, but I'd still go with Bodyglide underneath. You can get it at sports shops, running shops, REI, etc.

abc

Banned
I found my solution in shoes not socks.

I was extremely lucky with my first pair of hiking boots. It didn't rub at all. But all subsequent shoes had one hot spot or another. Until I realized I need shoes that hugs my feet like it's custom molded.

Since such shoes doesn't exist in all variations (trail running, packpacking etc), I resort to the same solution used in ski boots. By sticking pads strategically to the shoes, I manage to make my shoes fit my feet.

No movement (between shoes and feet) = no blister.

lucille

Certified Ski Diva
I try to get a nice thick pair of socks, but before i put them on I put on neosporin and then the spray on band-aid stuff that Gloria mentioned.
Good luck!

mollmeister

Angel Diva
I have always had blister problems (I have super narrow heels, so there's almost always some slippage). I had some boots that worked for awhile and then they stopped making them and I despaired of ever having a blister-free hike in real boots again. Did lots of hiking in sneakers, but that doesn't work all that well when you have tricky ankles and are trying to cart 40+lbs of small child and kiddie accoutrements.

Scarpa finally provided the best fit I have had in years, and things were better. But still some blisters.

Socks are important, too-- the Patagonia midweight socks don't last very long, but they have a super snug heel pocket that doesn't slide around.

However, this is the best product ever. EVER! EVER!!!! (I am so excited about these that I have amassed a huge stash of them in case they ever stop making them.)
https://www.goengo.com/

Seriously. Try putting these in your shoes. I cannot say enough good things about them, as a perpetual blister sufferer until I found these and put them in my boots.
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I heard that wearing the hiking boots a lot BEFORE going for a hike may get you feets used to them? Like they say in the swiss army ... get your boots in advance and wear them before service so they are 'worn-in' before service.
I am lucky hand found a nice and light pair of hiking boots ... blisters are not a problem anymore.

bouldergirl

Certified Ski Diva
Alas, after trying many of your suggestions (double layer socks, body glide, different boots, different outer layer socks, snug inner socks, breaking in my boots), plus others (some strange talc-like anti-friction powder to put in my socks), I'm finding that the good old athletic tape trick seems to work the best for me. That way, if my heel moves/slips, at least my skin doesn't rub against my socks/boots. I've still occasionally gotten blisters under the tape, but it's much better than before. Thanks for your help, Divas!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga