• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Bizarre New England weather forecast

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
From NOAA:
LOOK FOR SNOW TO DEVELOP LATE FRIDAY MORNING OR EARLY FRIDAY AFTERNOON. THE SNOW MAY FALL HEAVILY AT TIMES FRIDAY AFTERNOON BEFORE GRADUALLY MIXING WITH AND CHANGING TO SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN. THE PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED TO CHANGE BACK TO SNOW SHOWERS BEFORE ENDING LATE FRIDAY NIGHT. AT THIS TIME...THE POTENTIAL EXISTS FOR 6 INCHES OR MORE OF SNOW... FOLLOWED BY ONE-QUARTER OF AN INCH OF ICE.
-------------
:eek: !! 1/4" of ice over 6"??? Can you say "breakable crust???"
It's gonna be a strange weekend.....
Rocky Mt and western divas, go out and kiss your (all) snow, even if too much of it in the wrong places (interstate passes).
Right now.

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm thinking that in the mts it'll be snow. I"ll be at Killington skiing Sun and Mon and partying during the Superbowl. yea!

Bravosarah

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Forecast says 20cm's of snow tomorrow here in Toronto. Hmmm, looks like I might call in for a 'powder day'. How bad would that be since we're going on vacation Monday? :ROTF:

I wouldn't be able to do it...as much as I'd like too.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I'm thinking that in the mts it'll be snow.
I'm looking at the forecast for the closest town to Sugarloaf, and they're still saying this mixed nonsense for awhile :( - upper elevations may indeed be all snow, but what a mess the roads are gonna be....:rolleyes: .... DH and I will get out early Fri and hit it and try to avoid the bulk of the mess. Ever skied on breakable crust? I did, once, at Mt. Hood. Tricky stuff. I stayed on top of it, DH broke through it :eek:

Jilly

Staff member
I'm east of Bravosarah, and we're to get sort of the same forecast. Up to 35cm of snow (almost 14") with some ice pellets and freezing rain. I don't think I'm heading to Tremblant, as all of this is suppose to start overnight and continue all day and into the evening too. Why on a Friday!!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Calling for the same mix of conditions here, and I'm just south of Killington. Should be interesting.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
And I'm gonna be out in it---DH is taking the day off, taking his mid-fats along. The drive home will be white knuckle....

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm getting ready to leave for NH to ski at Attitash today, Friday. I'm hoping for all snow on the mt. Will ski who knows where on Sat, and Wildcat on Sun.
It just doesn't matter what the weather report is .... mountain weather marches to a tune of its own.
For instance, last Sunday it snowed light powder all day at Wildcat where I was. It didn't snow, or at least didn't accumulate, anywhere else up there. So I lucked out, getting light fresh snow all day long. It was stunningly beautiful, too. The weather report of course missed this. But in the early morning the parking lot was filled, so somehow the locals all knew. Now how did that happen???????

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
The weather report of course missed this. But in the early morning the parking lot was filled, so somehow the locals all knew. Now how did that happen???????
The locals are all logging on to the Mount Washington website (www.mountwashington.org) and taking their cues from "The Rock Pile's" specific weather forecast. They all know that what comes from the west and dumps on Wash is going to affect all of Pinkham Notch and Wildcat, which is virtually right across the road.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
At ax 4:00 p.m., it is now snowing heavily in the western Maine foothills. I just got home from an unbelievably freezing few hours at Sugarloaf - the wind was insane, this storm was really coming in. Sadly, the rain did its dirty deed on a lot of the higher elevation runs, including the one from the summit that I had so much fun doing just last Tues...sigh.....so goes New England weather. Now we just all watch and wait to see how this all develops tonight. Anyone in New England, be careful out there, especially if/when it turns over to sleet and rain :(

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I live between Okemo and Killington, and let me tell you, it's not fun out there. I just got home from a hair raising drive up Route 100. So if you're in the area tonight, drive safely. Better yet, stay home. We had a few inches of heavy, wet snow today, and now it's sleeting or freezing rain or something unpleasant like that. Whatever it is, it's slippery and dangerous. So be careful out there.

Jilly

Staff member
Its been snowing here since about 6:30am. We have at least 6" already and its still snowing. Had something like ice pellets around noon. They hadn't plowed my street yet, but that why I have a truck. Same conditions at Tremblant if anyone is interested, lots of snow!

Liz1281

Certified Ski Diva
Hmmm we are supposed to go to Sunapee on Sunday, wonder how the conditions will be... and the crowds (I feel like everyone from Mass will be going there because of the short trip back to the TV)

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Early morning Maine report: it's crusty out there - I just went outside and stood on top of the new snow in my driveway :mad2: - will be a fun job clearing it. The good news is that if it's a crust on new snow, most ski resorts will be able to reconstitute it. Not sure about road conditions - again, dependent on whether precip started as snow and then changed, or began as liquid. Overall, a pretty sizable mess, but better than all rain. Two more mixed precip events due next week!! I'm starting to get WAYYYY envious of all western divas.....

New England divas, be careful if you're heading out this a.m.

ski chick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's super ugly outside here. Over 100 accidents in our county, one that claimed a child, mother and driver. Survivor was a 2 y.o.

I'm lower that you are MSL. I'm not hopeful that tomorrow is a salvageable ski day in NYS. Totally bummed...

w.ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, this morning we managed to get one run from the top here at Stratton before they closed the lifts due to wind. The skiing was actually really nice; wish we could have done more of it. Only the sun bowl lift was open. Anyway, we decide to leave rather than wait for the lifts to reopen, only to find our road blocked by a tree that had fallen across it. :mad: Spent some time checking out ski stores and having lunch, and finally made it home.

abc

Banned
I don't know how I managed to drive into my house last night. It felt strange and I slowed way down. It wasn't until I got out the car that I realized the walkway was a layer of glazed ICE.

It's all melted and now it's a wet soggy mess!

ski chick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not so bad yesterday afterall...

We wound up going to the mountain yesterday afterall. The conditions turned out to be not bad- everything was groomed of course, but not much ice until late in the afternoon (when everything was skied off). I'm so glad we went. This week the forecast is for 52 degrees tomorrow and Wednesday, with more rain! Ugh! When are we going to get some real snow??:Cry:

stoweplow

Diva in Training
stowe conditions

Just returned from Mt Mansfield/Stowe. Conditions remarkably good. Groomed very well, some ice but fairly even snow cover. Temps high 20's, and hoping it will stay above freezing tomorrow.
Wednesday is $35 lift ticket day in honor of prolonged winter prediction by groundhog!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga