• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Biggest 06-07 surprises/disappointments (non-resort)

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Dburdenbates started a thread on our biggest resort-related surprises/disappointments in the "Resort, Conditions, & Travel" section of the forum. But I thought it'd be interesting to have a thread on the other surprises and/or disappointments we've had this past season. Could be anything to do with skiing.

I'll start.

Pleasant Surprises:

Fischer Skis: Demoed these and ended up buying a pair. Until I'd heard people raving about them on this forum, I never would've considered trying a pair. Then I did, and I loved them! Just goes to show you have to keep an open mind.

Nordica Boots: These were never on my radar, and again, I ended up buying a pair! The bootfitter suggested I try them after going through all the usuals -- Technica, Dalbello, Head, Salomon, Lange -- and for me, they were the best! Everyone's different, so forget about the label and just go with what fits.

One disappointment:

The crappy early season, here in the northeast. Seemed to take forever to get this season off the ground. Hopefully, next year will be better.

SnowGlider

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
BIGGEST SURPRISES THIS SEASON:

1) Discovering how a ski boot is actually supposed to fit. I droppd down a full size after 5 years of skiing in boots that were too large and caused me terrible pain because I had to overtighten them. I was fortunate to find a boot (Head S9) that fits my odd triangular foot.

2) Discovering how skis that were too heavy and stiff were affecting my skiing.

3) Discovering this forum was a huge pleasant surprise!!!:D

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENTS:

1) Realizing that global warming is having a grave impact on the Northeast, and that the skiing lifestyle may be lost in a decade. :(

2) Actually LOSING skill this season due to insufficient days on snow (caused by record warmth and cold and being sick for 6 weeks). Henceforth I may be a "terminal intermediate." That may be good enough. Intermediates can have fun, I guess.

Jilly

Staff member
Wow, neat idea.

Pleasant Surprises:
1. Fischer skis. Their women's line for 2008 I thought was the best of the bunch that I tried.
2. Descente "R" (not typing that 4 letter word, season not finished yet!) poncho. Best buy of the early season. This big black poncho type covering was perfect for those wet days we had in the early season. And maybe for some late ones too. I know that I'll find a use for it even when I'm not skiing.
3. Base layer. I fought this idea for soooo loong. I don't need long underwear on top. Well I bought some and then bought some more.
4. Getting filmed by an ESPN guy for a video a friend is doing. Haven't seen the rough cut yet, but I hear its good.

Disappointments
1. Fortress really hasn't done anything at Tremblant.
2. Crappy season that appears to be coming to an end early.
3. Missing Diva Day at Jay - next year YES!!
4. Finding out that teaching at a large resort isn't really any different that teaching at our small local hill. Same problems just magnified because of the size of the place.

ISki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Biggest Surprise: Discovering a breathtaking vista. I stumbled upon a beautiful panorama of Lake Tahoe and surrounding mountains. Sweet serendipity.

Biggest Disappointment: Goggle shopping. Lack of lens data on the box means homework for the buyer.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga