• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

base layer-Black Diamond Sportswear

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I've found this both at shops and on Sierra Trading Post (dot com). This is a great alternative to the more costly brands like Hot Chillys for base layer. It's micro-fleece, holds up great (5 years on some of my sets), machine wash, hang to dry and works superbly in ultra-cold weather.

I wear the zip t's and micro fleece tights (4 way stretch is best but hard to find lately) - noted earlier in a search that non-zip t's are still available at Sierra in several colors. The stuff disappears fast online and is best purchased in fall. This merchant has carried it for quite a few years.

At approx $20 for zip t and $30+- for bottoms, this is a great value compared to one zip t in Hot Chillys brand, which can be $50 just for the top (that I've seen). Bottoms seem to run about true to size, tops a little on the small side.

I tend to really work up a sweat when skiing. This stuff has never let me down for passing off moisture. I vary the weight of what goes over this in terms of pants (insulated versus not), vest or wind block jacket under shell, but this layer never changes - it does as well at 45+ as it does at 5 degrees. Never scratchy, much nicer feel on skin than some of the polypro.

Big thumbs up :thumbsup:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
My skin isn't thrilled with wool right on it, so no, I haven't tried the merino wool. However, for anyone that can, I imagine it's great. Wool is making something of a comeback, as it seems to be a little more durable than poly??? I only just recently "retired" a Black Diamond fleece top that was at least 7 years old, so I can't complain about that one's durability, considering I only had 2 to alternate between at the time. Really like the stuff, although I'm having increasing difficulty finding the fleece pants with 4 way stretch (heavier than just the microfleece tights and better fit).

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We've noticed that the newer wool products don't smell as much as polypro either. Not a nice thing to say, but you know, just sayin'

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
MSL, I'm another that can't handle wool next to my skin. Although I recently decided to try SmartWool socks and they are working for me.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
MSL, I'm another that can't handle wool next to my skin. Although I recently decided to try SmartWool socks and they are working for me.
I'm a SmartWool fan as well - somehow or other, wool doesn't bother my feet and lower legs as much as upper body - of course, when I take them off, I'm always itchy right where the socks top off :noidea: -- well, they're great socks, so my legs are gonna have to put up with it!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna