• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Backpacking

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So I know it is way early to be thinking about this. (still plenty of skiing to be done)

I went camping this past year for the first time since I was a young teenage (and both times were a disaster). BUT, I loved it. This summer, Mr. Sheena and I are going to try backpacking.

Since this will be my first time, any tips, tricks, or general suggestions?

Christy

Angel Diva
I'd suggest you pick something fairly easy for your first time out. That way you can make sure your gear works for you (a pack that feels great in REI doesn't always end up feeling good after 8 miles on the trail), and if it turns out you overpack and are carrying too heavy a load you can stop before you are miserable (hopefully). Buy a guidebook that is heavy on detail (then photocopy the hike and bring it), so when you see a campsite and mile 4 you'll know whether that's it for 4 more miles or if there are plenty more. Is Mr. Sheena new to it too?

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
. Is Mr. Sheena new to it too?

AH, no. He was in the boyscouts in middle school and highschool, and did tons of backpacking. He has been helpful in practical matters - we have some pretty good, very lightweight gear.

I guess I am curious to hear other peoples experiences, and if you really need to pack EVERYTHING out when you leave the camp site.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
LEAVE NO TRACE (geargrrl gets out soapbox!!)

drags out very large soapbox.....graphic alert too.

Oh, yes ABSOLUTELY pack everything out. The only exception is poop. Really. We even pack out used TP and all our garbage including food scraps. If you are in an area that allow fires, burning some kinds of trash is acceptable, but leaving semi remnants in a fire pit is not. I am a staunch believer in LNT camping. We don't make fires at all, and I even pack out used menstrual supplies. ( I know it sounds gross, but it's more gross to find someone else's stuff that an animal dug up and has been dragging around)

Here is a link to Leave No Trace Principles
https://www.lnt.org/programs/principles.php

Why leave no trace?
-TP does not biodegradeable. We spend a lot of time in areas that allow NO fires, so burning is not an option. Animals will dig it and drag it around. TP roses are disgusting. I'd rather double bag it and carry out than to run across someone else's used paper in the backcountry. Which I have, more than I like to admit.

Fire rings - big no no, as a "white man fires" Nice little utilitarian fires have thier place, but building big fire rings ( especially when there are ones already there!!) decreases the wilderness experience.

People will think, oh, just MY little pile of TP doesn't matter, MY firering is ok, MY garbage won't matter. But you see - most places get more people in them than you can ever imagine. So, one person really does make a difference. We do a microtrash patrol before we leave a site - every little scrap, thread, used match, bits of foil, EVERYTHING we can find gets packed out.

putting soap box away...

Gear - go as light as you can. There are many good sources out there but it's easy to carry way too much. The new technology is so much better - an example being nylon hiking pants instead of jeans, or nice supportive light hikers instead of big leather boots. Think of multiple uses for one item, and bringing a minimum of clothes. You do not need a clean shirt for every day. All the little things really add up. Even the pack itself can be too heavy.

Sierra Club, REI, many places offer backpacking clubs, outings and classes.

Don't over do your first few hikes.

I used to do a ton until my knees quit cooperating! Have fun.

toughgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
what kind of suggestions are you looking for you? My DH and I are avid hikers. We go to white mts, nh several times a year.

abc

Banned
I remembered how I got started...

-- First time, 1 night.

That 1 night shows what I didn't pack but wish I did. And what I packed that I might not need to.

-- Second time, 2 nights.

Much smoother since there was that 1 night trial run of the 1st time. Now, it's more focus on what works and what can be improved. Lighter is ALWASY better. But durability is equally important. There's nothing worse than packing a peice of junk for 2 days and NOT having the function it was supposed to fill! :(

-- Third time, 3 nights. And that was when I felt that's enough.

By then, I had worked out all the stuff I need and stuff that I can do without. So essential gears were automatic. And more attention paid to what makes the trip ENJOYABLE without adding weight nor bulk. So far, all my backpacking trip are less than 3 days. Beyond that, the weight of food (and in some cases water) just prove too much for my knees.

Leave no trace: Personally, I stop at having to pack out my own solid human waste (never mind TP)! So, as long as I'm allowed to dig a pit and buried it, I'm fine. Other biodegradable are "debatable". Some people pack them out, others scatter it along the trail. Just don't leave all of it at the campsite. It attracts animals to a specific location, which is considered bad.

Other than that, LEAVE NOTHING BEHIND. It really isn't as bad as you fear, really. Think about it, you eat what you bring and pack out the packaging. So it's inevitably lighter and smaller anyway. Really not such a big deal. TP's and tampons, stuff them in a plastic bag. No smell, no mess. (I guess I'm used to the idea but it could take a bit for others to get used to...)

Food: That's the biggie for me. Having a variety of food each day but without adding a huge amount of weight. It's very personal thing. What taste good and filling for you and what taste good for me can be very different things. You have to experiement to find what works for you. For 1 or 2 days, you simply deal with it. For longer trip, you want to do better. After all, this is for FUN! Right?

geargrrl

Angel Diva
My longest trip was 8 days and 50 someodd miles in the Wind Rivers of Wyoming with a girlfriend. Little did we know that would be our last trip B.C. for both of us!!

Christy

Angel Diva
Ditto. Leaving anything behind isn't an option. Where I backpack (usually the WA Cascades) fires are almost never allowed, so I can't burn anything either. Besides the reasons already mentioned, you would also start attracting bears, racoons, etc, to campsites, which is bad for them AND us. Our dog eats our scraps and even licks the inside of our dehydrated meal bags clean, which is nice. We hang the garbage in our bear bag then pack it out.

Regarding tp, I know people that burn the tp in the cathole. Obviously you have to assess fire danger and I am too paranoid to do this in no-fire areas. Some places actually have open-air pit toilets, really just little boxes with lids but with a deeply dug hole underneath. They have these here in fragile alpine areas, or more heavily used areas like along the Pacific Crest Trail, and in national parks. Those rock.

TravelRN

Diva in Training
Where are you thinking about backpacking? My husband and I have spent a lot of time in Yellowstone and Yosemite.., so if you have any questions about either national park I can definitely help you out. Generally though, make sure your hiking shoes are comfortable....numero uno!! They are just like boots, if they dont work out...your trip will be miserable. Also, keep hydrated...there's nothing like altitude sickness on top of dehydration (speaking from experience here) And since you're going with your hubby make sure your pace is compromised between the two of you. Those are a couple of things I learned quickly....my husband is an avid hiker and I married into the hobby. Any specific questions Id definitely be happy to answer. Oh, and invest in a Camelpack if you dont already have one.

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
All helpful so far... not so sure why I am so timid typing this, but one of my biggest concerns is, uh, basically, I have only camped where there is at least on outhouse nearby.

With backpacking, was it hard to get used to not having that sort of facility available?

TravelRN

Diva in Training
In all honesty...Id rather sit over a dead tree, to do my business than use a pit toilet..seriously!! (those things are NASTY) Just make sure you pack tp out with you...bring a few heavy duty ziplocks and then make your husband carry it in his pack..haha Everything you bring out with you should be coming back, leave nothing. Definitely bring some hand sanitizer, its a life saver.

The very first time I went backpacking in Yellowstone they had a random pit toilet in the middle of the woods...anways, i remember thinking ---this would be a great time for a bear to attack me. lol All joking aside, if you plan on backpacking in an area that has a presence of bears...bring nothing with perfume scents and use bear storage containers or if you're luck enough and on a popular trail...you may see Bear bins.

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've always wanted to backpack...even own all the right "equipment" but just haven't made the leap yet. I do a significant amount of "car" camping though.

That being said, www.goingprepared.com is a real persons outdoor enthusiasts forum. Come on over...you'll find some real solid advice!

geargrrl

Angel Diva
All helpful so far... not so sure why I am so timid typing this, but one of my biggest concerns is, uh, basically, I have only camped where there is at least on outhouse nearby.

With backpacking, was it hard to get used to not having that sort of facility available?

For me, no problem. For others???? I guess it all depends on who you are. Most out houses are pretty gross. In some of the back country spots in Canada I have been to, though, they always make them open air ( just two walls) with a great view. I know a dad who used to carry a toilet seat for his daughters when he took them out, but not his son. (go figure)

There is a really terrific book called, How to Sh*t In the Woods. It is a step by step guide on the why's and hows and dos and don'ts of back country hygiene. IIRC there are several chapters just for women, both on menstruation and simple basic like how to NOT pee on your feet. It covers bathing, general hygiene and not just toileting issues.

gg

michpc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thought I'd pipe in here because I was in a similar boat to you :smile:.

I used to be one of those people who would never consider camping if it didn't involve a campground with showers. But I had the opportunity to go on a weekend backpacking trip last fall and I had a blast! I was pretty out of shape at the time and we did 21 miles (4 miles Friday night, 7 miles up Saturday, and 10 miles back out Sunday) and I was sure sore on Monday at work, but I didn't feel like I was in over my head at all. It helped of course that in our group was an experienced backpacker, but since you've got your husband, you should be fine.

I didn't really mind not having facilities, but we did have composting toilets at both of our campsites, which I think were both Appalachian Mountain Club sites. As for food we did cream of wheat and coffee in the mornings, snacked on beef jerky and trail mix from Costco during the day, and for dinner we had italian lentil soup with noodles and pouch chicken.

Anyway, it was fun to step outside of my comfort zone and I'm looking forward to doing it again this year.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Water purification! If you have to refill from a stream, you don't want to get the nasties. Take the tablets, too, in case, something happens to the filter.

We also have a Steripen, which is a really cool little gadget that you put into a Nalgene bottle and it sterlizes the water bacteria. It's easier to use than a filter, but there are stories of it not working, or running out of battery, so we carry a filter too. Have only used the Steripen a half dozen times, and it's worked fine, though.

mollmeister

Angel Diva
LOVE backpacking. Used to do it quite a lot, pre-kids. For now it's a rare treat, until they're older and can haul their own stuff.

My *must-haves* are:

I'm with Pinto on water purification. Gotta have a filter and some back-up iodine tablets and plenty of Nalgene bottles. My friend had giardia and you DON'T want to get it. Period.

A bear canister for storing food. We have often hiked in pretty high bear-activity areas, and a bear canister is bulky, but it's a lot nicer than having to rig a bear-hang in the dark in a place with few tree branches. Well worth it. I just pack it full of all the food and cram it in the pack. Then at night you just toss in anything smelly, lock it up, and place it somewhere away from camp. I have heard animals rolling it around in the dark (once) but it was fine in the morning.

A trowel for, uh, hygiene stops. Too hard to dig with a rock in my opinion. And a good number of ziploc bags for packing out the paper, or whatever else. Ziploc bags and duct-tape are ALWAYS useful.

Speaking of duct-tape, it's necessary in my book. It can cover blisters if you run out of moleskin or second skin, it can patch a pack or boot, you name it. And I also recommend carrying an extra hip-belt buckle for your pack. I have been on two trips where people have broken that VERY key buckle, and carrying a heavy load without being able to use that strap is not awesome.

Good first aid kit, but not overkill. I build my own, as I can never find exactly what I want, pre-assembled. (And Advil and Bendaryl are non-negotiable.)

SUNSCREEN and a HAT!

Trekking poles. I strap 'em to my pack when I don't need them, but I find they are very helpful negotiating steep downhills or slippery log *bridges* with a heavy/bulky pack.

Extra trash bags, to be sure you can pack everything out (and to keep everything dry, in case of a shower).

Extra socks. I don't care much about lots of extra clothes, when I am going to get dirty anyway, but wet socks = blisters, so I always have a few pairs in order to rotate.

Don't carry heavy food. IMO it's a waste. When you have hiked a long day with 30+lbs on your back, anything and everything tastes good (including Jello No-Bake Cheesecake and hot Tang, lol), and I am always amazed when a friend packs in all sorts of spices and bottles of sauce and heavy food. I am all for trail mix and ramen and quick-cooking rice and oats.

As for *going* in the out of doors. . . ahem. It sometimes takes a day to *get in the mood,* but it's nicer than a pit toilet, any day. You just have to figure out a comfortable position that works for you. And it's important to stay well-hydrated and eat things like oats and fruits and veggies that keep you regular!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga