• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Back to NYC/NJ this weekend(feb 6-7)... where to ski?

Skifahrerin

Certified Ski Diva
Probably will just be Sunday morning to avoid the weekend crowds. Not too big on watching football so I could care less if I really miss the Superbowl.

Where would you hit within about 2 hours driving distance of northern NJ?

I'm thinking Hunter, just for it's easiness, but Belleayre and Windham are doable too.

Time to break out the carvers... :race:

Mom of Redheads

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wish I could help but as we have yet to try anything near here, I haven't been to those mountains! Until DD is ready for a lesson longer than 1 hour, we stick closer to home. Next year I hope...

I am dying to try any of those 3 you mentioned. We have friends who love, love Windham. Also, the weekend of Feb 19-21, Belleayre is hosting the NNJ Boy Scout Council's group event... don't know how crowded that will be - but it's a heads' up.:eek:

Back to Campgaw for us...

Don't you wish the storm was going to hit us a bit more? :cool:

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
not my favorite place, but, Catamount (Hillsdale, NY) is not that far

Skifahrerin

Certified Ski Diva
Wish I could help but as we have yet to try anything near here, I haven't been to those mountains! Until DD is ready for a lesson longer than 1 hour, we stick closer to home. Next year I hope...

I am dying to try any of those 3 you mentioned. We have friends who love, love Windham. Also, the weekend of Feb 19-21, Belleayre is hosting the NNJ Boy Scout Council's group event... don't know how crowded that will be - but it's a heads' up.:eek:

Back to Campgaw for us...

Don't you wish the storm was going to hit us a bit more? :cool:

I wish it was just the north. I'm in NYC for this evening through Saturday evening, so it will just slow down my meetings and such.

Sunday it looks like I'm either doing Windham or Hunter with my brother. Leaning towards Hunter, but I remember the last time I was there it being a total zoo... :mad:

Skifahrerin

Certified Ski Diva
Mom of Redheads, why haven't you made it up to the southern Catskills? Relatively speaking, they're probably the best mountains in the NYC region, although I would normally avoid Hunter mountain entirely on the weekends, unless you don't expect it to be busy (like Superbowl Sunday).

Windham is probably the best place for families, as they have a good mix of greens, a good selection of blues, and some alright blacks. Nothing you can really kill yourself on until it gets really icy at least. I skied at Windham with my parents the most often growing up, and Hunter with my friends a lot during high school, which is one of the problems of it. Hunter has some difficult terrain for the east (K27 is pretty fun, and steep), but any snowmaking gets skied off so quickly, and their higher lift capacity just puts an unbelieveable amount of people on the mountain at any given time. Both times that I've been run into was at Hunter.

Mom of Redheads

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well - I won't go into too much detail other than to say soon after we moved to NJ 3 years ago, DD was diagnosed with autism - and we spent most of our subsequent time (and money) on therapy and so on...:fear:

But, she's doing really well and we are tired of missing out on all the fun! So, we are investing time and money this winter on lessons for all 3 kids and new boots and skis for us (we had been renting since we were in MD and DE prior to NJ).:thumbsup: I hope that next year we can explore a bit further afield! Next week we all are off to Stratton (yay) and then DH takes the boys to Belleayre for 2 days.

Anyway, that's why we've stuck at Campgaw. Found an instructor who has experience with special needs - so she is more important at the moment than anything else - and she's been great. DD was thrilled to see her today - gave her hugs and couldn't wait to put skis on. If you're in my shoes you'll do anything for that!:yahoo:

Skifahrerin

Certified Ski Diva
Sounds like an excellent plan to me as well. I grew up with my older sister that has special needs, so being around the right people on a vacation makes all the difference. One instructor could literally ruin her future experience of skiing for her.

Campgaw is very close at least! Takes what... like 20 minutes max to get there?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga