• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Aspen questions

Christy

Angel Diva
Skiing: I have 3 days but there are 4 ski areas (I'm including Snowmass). I've been looking online but haven't found much in the way of guides to the area, besides the info on the onthesnow.com site. I'm an intermediate (not advanced-I like groomed slopes). Anyone have any suggestions that will help me decide which areas to visit? We will have spent the four days before skiing Copper and maybe Vail once so Buttermilk sounds nice and easy for our tired legs. We're staying in town at the Annabelle Inn if that matters.

Non-skiing: We'll probably have at least once nice meal while we're there. Should I bring a skirt/dress? Should my husband bring dress shoes? Are skinny jeans and boots good enough for mid-range places?

prairiedawn

Certified Ski Diva
My favorite area in Aspen is Highlands, for the skiing and the vibe, but for an intermediate, Snowmass is probably your best bet. Definitely go to downtown Aspen, no matter what you do. Dress is pretty casual everywhere so I wouldn't even bother with a skirt/dress--same with the dress shoes. Incidently, I've never had a bad meal in Aspen, at any price.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't address the skiing as I've never skied there, but I can tell you that dining, even fine dining, in Colorado tends to be very casual. You can get away with nice jeans pretty much anywhere. There are a very few exceptions, but they're probably also really really expensive, so if you're looking mid-range, you'll be fine. I spent a weekend in Glenwood Springs in October, and we had two good meals in the area. I highly recommend Ella in Carbondale. We had brunch there, but I would be willing to guess that dinner would be just as good. We also ate at Tempranillo in Basalt, which was good.

amanda

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Snowmass is probably going to be your favorite. Ajax is nice too and very convenient. I would probably avoid Highlands as an intermediate skier. I wouldn't bother with the skirt.

Christy

Angel Diva
You can get away with nice jeans pretty much anywhere. There are a very few exceptions,

We're going to do at least one nice meal (we're both turning 40 there), like Matsuhisa or Montagna...would these be the exceptions? I like dressing up and would hate to be underdressed, though I don't want to pack a dress if everyone else is going to be in jeans and down jackets either.

Thanks for the skiing advice so far...

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Skigirl27, where are you??

Anyway, skied Highlands and Snowmass last year. I had not skied either area in 13 years Did not get a chance to hike the bowl at Highlands and if I did, it might've changed my opinion.

Highlands just did not do it for me. Granted, it was their closing day, but still.

Snowmass was amazing! The Hanging Valley/Headwall area was even better than Blue Sky Basin at Vail (my opinion!). I'm a big fan a "playgrounds" and this had it all. Steeps, chutes, trees, gullies, etc. Plus, they boast the longest ski run in ??N America. "The Big Burn" is 6 mile long intermeddiate run. There are all sorts of aspens to play in and they do a great job with the grooming if that's what you want.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We're going to do at least one nice meal (we're both turning 40 there), like Matsuhisa or Montagna...would these be the exceptions? I like dressing up and would hate to be underdressed, though I don't want to pack a dress if everyone else is going to be in jeans and down jackets either.

Thanks for the skiing advice so far...

We ate at Montagna in fall 07 ... People were dressed nicer than other places, and certainly nicer than Summit County (it is Aspen, after all), but you will see a little of everything. I'm trying to remember what I wore ... I'm pretty sure I had a cashmere sweater over a silk shell, and maybe nice dark jeans and I think metallic gold ballet flats and purse. Husband wore a sportcoat, probably. But you can definitely dress up there, if you want, without being out of place. Hope that helps. :-)

Careful on the shoes in winter, though ... weather, you know. That's why I don't normally wear anything that doesn't go with boots!

bklyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bring your nice clothes for the special dinner. You won't be out of place, and if the mood strikes you to be more casual you can still wear your jeans.

Snowmass is great and has wonderful variety, you will probably love it. Ajax and Highlands have less groomed intermediate terrain. If you feel like stretching out into more bumps and steeps that's a day to ski outside Snowmass and visit one of the other mountains. Buttermilk hosts the X-games, so it's best known for immaculate half pipes, jumps and rails along with beginner terrain that you will probably find boring.

mollmeister

Angel Diva
Bring your nice clothes for the special dinner. You won't be out of place, and if the mood strikes you to be more casual you can still wear your jeans.

^^^ Exactly. I have both dressed down and dressed up just about anywhere in Aspen, but it's especially fun to get dressed up. Just no stiletto heels in the snow and ice!

As for skiing, I would recommend Snowmass. There's tons of intermediate terrain (my Dad, who is a lover of Blue Groomers, can spend hours and hours lapping the runs and admiring the views from the Elk Camp area), and some really fun stuff if you decide to venture outside of your normal comfort zone. I agree with Ski/Nurse that Hanging Valley/Headwall, basically anything to the east of the High Alpine lift, is tons of fun.

As for Buttermilk. . . meh. If you've just got a few hours and want to do some high-speed laps it's OK. And it's great for a hike/snowshoe up and ski down. But it's mostly greens crowded with lessons and terrain parks.

I did laps there once when my older son was with a sitter at the hotel right at the base of Buttermilk. Three hours of high speed laps on the *black runs* at Bmilk. Basically had that part of the mountain to myself, so it was OK, but nothing to write home about.

Christy

Angel Diva
But it's mostly greens crowded with lessons and terrain parks.

Oh, I didn't realize that!

I love that there is consensus in this thread. Maybe 2 days Snowmass and 1 Ajax. I love that I can take the gondola right from town up Ajax so I have to ski there.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yup, agreeing with bklyn and pinto. If you want to dress up, go for it! If not, that's cool, too. We're pretty laid-back here. :becky:

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Hi Christy:

Let me chime in and agree that Snowmass is a great place for you as an intermediate skier. It has by far the most variety to offer skiers at that level compared to the other Aspen-area resorts.

A fun thing to do for an intermediate is to ride the Big Burn lift up, take the poma lift to the Cirque summit above tree-line, take in the amazing views like an expert, and then ski down the wide groomed track. I think it's called "Rocky Mountain High". You'll also love the whole Elk Camp area. If you want to take a baby step towards getting off the groomers, try Long Shot (I think that's the name) - at the far left on the trail map near the ski area boundary. It requires a short hike, but you'll be rewarded with a very long run. It's an ungroomed trail, but on easy blue terrain. It won't be scary for you.

Have fun!

And hi everyone! Just found this forum a few weeks ago and look forward to posting more. :smile:

Shellski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Snowmass is my least favorite area (besides Buttermilk where I've never skied), but it's perfect for an intermediate. The top of Ajax has some very nice runs too, but you might want to download on the gondola.

We had dinner at Montagna last year on our anniversary, it was sensational. I wore dark jeans, a black sweater and a silk scarf, I don't recall feeling underdressed.

When we go skiing we quite often go to another city afterwards - eg when we went to Chamonix we spent a week in Paris afterwards, this year we're heading on to New York. I like to make my apres ski wear work at night on the non-skiing weeks, one of the things I like to take is silk scarves, if you learn to tie them a few ways they can transform jeans and a simple top. Also, I hate wearing my ski jacket when I am not skiing so I always make room for my black cashmere coat. One thing though, I thought the sidewalks would have been a lot more clear, but there was a lot of snow on the ground, choose your footwear wisely.

skigrl27

Ski Diva Extraordinaire<br>Legal & Environmental A
I'm HERE, I'm HERE!!!

I live in Aspen, so here goes:

Casual all over is fine. We get a bad rep for being so POSH, but it's just a ski town like every other. Downtown Aspen eating: Takah or Kenichi for sushi, yum! Montagna for big $$ dining that is fabulous. Good bar/pub food: Bentley's, Little Annie's. Trendy: Sky Hotel bar, 39 degrees. Seafood: Pacifica....mmmm. Best BBQ for hundreds of miles: Hickory House - great breakfast spot too.

Downvalley delights: El Korita, Basalt - best Mexican around. Bistro Basalt and Tempranillo are both delicious. Breakfast MUST DO: Breakfast in America in El Jebel (kind of across from El Korita) Ella in Carbondale....and just about every restaurant in Carbondale is awesome. Carbondale is pretty awesome too.

Ok...now the important part, skiing:

Snowmass, Snowmass, Snowmass. It's got something for everyone and it's damn huge. You can spend a whole day exploring and you can find all types of terrain. Ask a local where to go on the lifts. We're friendly.

Ajax is a fun mountain too. It's pretty steep and the only downfall is the mountain flushes you back to the gondola like an airplane toilet, so try to stay high on the mountain to avoid the bottom half. The Little Nell run is usually always skied off and hard pack. Stay on the Ruthie's side and you can hit up Lift 1A.

Buttermilk....hmmm, I'm biased. I never go to Buttermilk. I know the Tiehack area is fun for some - but it's just not my type of terrain. Buttermilk is known for their terrain parks and beginner's areas. So if "bro-brah" snowboarders and little kids aren't your thing...avoid Buttermilk.

Highlands - Highlands has great intermediate terrain, however, is known for the sick stuff. Great bumps under the Cloud 9 lift. Great Apres at ZG Grill. A really fun experience if you want to get down with the local crowd.

So I'd say - 1 day each at every place but Buttermilk to get the best experience.

Shoot me a PM if you want more info!!! When are you coming?

DeeSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
[It's pretty steep and the only downfall is the mountain flushes you back to the gondola like an airplane toilet[/QUOTE]

Best description ever of the run down to the Gondola! I loved Aspen, but that last stretch where you can see the base is not for someone who's skied a few days and think they can handle a blue run! I agree with everything everyone else has said. You'll love Snowmass, there's loads to ski. Long Shot is definitely worth a go if you want to be a little adventurous and I thought Green Cabin was worth the traverse across. I constantly asked for advice on the lifts and can confirm that the locals really are friendly! You'll have a ball.

Christy

Angel Diva
Does everyone take the shuttles to get to Snowmass and Highlands? There is a shuttle stop at our inn's front door.

Skigirl thank you! I will send you a pm too because I have restaurant questions.

I think I have figured out the clothes thing. I'll bring a dress/skirt and knee boots but not my good winter coat, which was the bulkiest thing. I'll just wear my down sweater when walking to the restaurant.

I am SO EXCITED!! Especially since it apparently doesn't snow here anymore.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga