• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Artificial snow surfaces?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I know there are a few technologies around for artificial snow surfaces, and I've heard that some are already in place in Europe. Here's one I found, just surfing around the internet.

Has anyone ever skied anything like this? What's it like? Are there irregularities on the surface, or is it totally flat? Any bumps?

mahgnillig

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
These are all over the place in the UK. This Snowflex stuff sounds better than the dry slope stuff I learned to ski on in the early 90s. When I learned it was like a honeycomb mesh made up of little bristles, felt kind of like an upside down scrubbing bush. If there was ever a time to ski in jeans, it's on a dry slope!

ScottishGirlie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have a look here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_ski_slope

Where I work, our main ski slope is made of Dendix and our nursery slope is made of Snowflex.

Personally I prefer Dendix to Snowflex. Our Snowflex slope hasn't aged well and is really slow now which makes it really hard for the little ones to get running on. So then you put special wax on their skis and they go like the proverbial rocket! I also think it's like a giant cheese grater!

I can can carve on Dendix, do everything I want. And actually, little ones manage to walk up Dendix more easily than Snowflex when they're in the early learning phase.

I don't know, horses for courses I guess.

Perty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I haven't skied on a dry slope for years-but the main difference I recall at the time was how much speedier real snow is! I don't think I'd take my own skis onto a dry slope either.

ScottishGirlie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh yes, snow is much faster! I guess it's a means to an end though.

I do OK with my skis to be honest. Our mat is layed on top of tarmac so the surface is pretty good i.e. no rocks or whatever to take chunks out of them. I usually get around 18-24 months out of a pair. What I do is when I need a new pair for the mat, what I've been using on the snow gets moved to the mat and new ones bought for the snow. My skis usually die because the flex totally disappears and they just become flat, lifeless planks.

Lilywhite

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
IF the snowflex misting system is up and running properly (often turned off whilst no one on slope then forgotten) then it is a great training surface. Dendix is quicker IMHO.
Skiing anything is better than not skiing at all.
If you can parallel decently on artificial stuff you will be carving easily on real snow.
Dry slopes are longer with greater terrain variation for less effort than fridges.
Dry slopes are rarely as crowded as the fridges. There were just 3 of us on the slopes last time I visited compared to at least 50 in the dome.
Dry slope tickets are cheaper.
You get to feel like a regular very quickly,it's more sociable than the fridges.
It is awesome when you get there early enough to catch the ground frost on a wintry day, even better if there is some natural snowfall on it!

ScottishGirlie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've only ever skied the Tamworth "fridge" and to be honest, I would rather be on plastic than ski with a roof over my head!!!

Lilywhite

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
ScottishGirlie I agree it somehow seems MORE artificial! My snowboarder boyfriend would disagree with both of us though.

Perty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been to the fridge at Tamworth-went not long after it first opened in the mid 90s. The most frustrating thing about it is the slooooooowwwwww ride up, and the 15 second descent. All over in the blink of an eye. But it has been great for my nephews, and my cousin's husband had 2 full on half days tuition on a snowboard before he ventured to the Alps and it really helped.

I've been to the one in Dubai- which is huge by comparison. Check out this film by Chad Sayers for a sense of the surreal

In fact, if you've not seen any of the other "A Skier's Journey" films do it now...they are the most amazing ski films...

Ashleigh Lawrence

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I must admit the freezer has been great for my eldest son, it gave him a great preparation for 'proper' skiing.

There is a dry slope about half an hour from us, and I am becoming sorely tempted to try it. The fact that it also has an incredibly well stocked pro shop with lots of shiny ski gear, from which I have already purchased new pants and jacket, have no bearing on this level of temptation at all........:bag:

Ashleigh Lawrence

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The fact that a private lesson on the dry slope is approximately a third of the price of a private lesson in the freezer is also rather tempting........

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've only been on a dry slope once (the Southampton one) and it was just too boring. 2 minutes up, 5 seconds down. Repeat. That was about 15 years ago and I doubt much has changed!

There's a newer dry slope in Dorset though which I'm slightly tempted to try as I think it's a bit better. It's Snowflex:

https://www.dorsetsnowsportcentre.co.uk/our_slopes.htm

The nearest fridge to me is Hemel and it's just too far and expensive to bother.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
https://www.liberty.edu/snowflex/index.cfm

Located atop Liberty University’s serene 5,000-acre mountain, the Liberty Mountain Snowflex Centre is the country’s premier point for year-round skiing, snowboarding and tubing. Composed of beginner, intermediate and advanced slopes and a two-story lodge, this high-performance playground is the first of its kind in the U.S.

The concept originated in 2005 when the university began looking at creative ways to utilize its mountain property. The solution was to build an outdoor recreational complex accessible to Liberty and the general public.

Designed by England’s Briton Engineering, the park’s sleek slopes are made with the industry’s most innovative terrain technology — Snowflex. LMSC caters to snow sport enthusiasts of all skill levels, and serves as the ideal training ground in the offseason. A funhouse for freestylers, the facility also features an elevated cornice drop, triple kickers and a colossal quarter pipe.

libertyusnowflex-slope.jpg

20090731_snowflex_euro_pic_700.jpg

mustski

Angel Diva
Fascinating technology all the way around. I did notice that the Dubai "mountain" did not seem to have many women.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna