• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Article on helmet usage

SkiBaby

Certified Ski Diva
I know there has been a thread on helmets and whether we wear them, why or why not, and how often we see them on other skiers and snowboarders. I know the divas, very rightly, are very helmet-friendly. And not that we need to feel justified or anything, but this article came off of the Santa Fe New Mexican wire services and just validates WHY we should protect our lovely heads. (I'm ignoring the guy who thinks it takes more than a helmet for some injuries. It sometimes takes more than a seatbelt, but you do what you can.....):

More skiers use their heads for safety

For decades, many skiers thought it wasn't cool to wear helmets for safety. But now they are warming to the idea: Safety experts estimate an average of 40 percent of skiers and snowboarders use them.

The issue arose anew after Geoffry Bradeen, 45, of Portland , Ore. died of a head injury Jan. 5 while skiing at Mount Hood Meadows. Investigators say he apparently was hit from behind by a snowboarder. A helmet would likely have saved Bradeen, who died of a skull fracture, Oregon's medical examiner told The Oregonian.

But studies show such collisions are rare and account for only 6.4 percent of reported ski accidents, Jasper Shealy, who has studied skiing and snowboarding injuries and fatalities for 35 years, told the paper. He said most skiing and snowboarding deaths are caused by hitting a tree or other fixed object at high speed, resulting in chest or torso injuries.

"Frankly, you're going to need more than a helmet to prevent that fatality," he said.

Shealy and others looked at 562 deaths from fall 1991 through spring 2005, finding 60 percent were the result of a skier or snowboarder hitting a tree.

Hitting the snow is the second-biggest killer, with 9.7 percent, and hitting man-made objects, such as lift towers, is third at 7.6 percent.

The researchers also found that helmet use has increased by up to 5 percentage points a year, but the number of deaths still averages 38 a year, unchanged.

A U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission study concluded 44 percent of 17,500 head injuries to skiers and snowboarders in 1997 could have been prevented or reduced in severity with helmet use. It suggested helmets could prevent an average of 11 deaths a year.

One death a year, especially in my immediate family, is enough for us to all wear helmets. My husband is a doc who has worked in hospital settings and rehab and knows first-hand the effects of head injuries. I skiied a bit in the 1960s and 1980s, and when I returned to skiing in the 04/05 season, helmets and snowboards and shaped skis were the new equipment. My husband and I each tried heading out one day without a helmet, and decided it wasn't worth the risk. We've worn helmets ever since. In the 05/06 season, when our four kids started skiing and riding (ages 9-12 at the time), we started all of them with helmets, so for our family, it's not an option to ski or ride without one. We love the Giro Fuse for the easy venting and we use Tune Ups to listen to our iPods (low volume) on non-crowded days.

lv2ski

Certified Ski Diva
I wear a Giro9 helmet and love it. It is so comfy I forget I am wearing it, plus it is warm to boot!

Squaw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thought some of you might like to see this online article of a study done on injuries, and the role of helmets. It may be the study behind the article SkiBaby is referencing.

https://www.ski-injury.com/helmet.htm

It is very important that people realize that helmets are reducing head and neck injuries, but that in most cases, will not help with fatalities.

Says she who is not yet gotten a helmet...:o

A few interesting comments from the article:

To give a stark example, biomechanics have demonstrated that in order to protect the head against a direct impact blow at 30 mph, with currently available materials, a helmet would need to be at least 18cm thick, 50cm wide and weigh 5kg+. Hhhmm….stylish. Radar data collected from ski areas suggests most intermediate skiers regularly travel at between 24-38 mph.

Statistically a death can be expected for every 1.49 million visits (MPV) to a ski area...the death rate for snowboarding (0.46 per MPV) was 34% lower than that for alpine skiing (0.70 per MPV)

So the leading mechanism of death in both sports is a collision with either a static object (tree, for example) or another person. This is particularly so for skiers. This aside, snowboarders are most likely to die from a NARSID (non-avalanche suffocation) or as the result of a jump.

[A Norwegian study] found a 53% higher incidence of head injuries amongst snowboarders compared to alpine skiers. Using a helmet reduced the risk of sustaining a head injury by 60% ....also found a trend towards a lower incidence of neck injuries amongst those wearing a helmet.

Head injuries account for at most 10-20% of all injuries from snow sports - although some studies have shown higher rates in children (up to 43% in one Canadian study)

So basically our hopes that a helmet will help with that tree in our future is not true...but otherwise helmets ensure we will have a healthier future. ;)

Jen

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got my first helmet this season after the mild concussion. I think of helmet purchase as insurance. First, a lot of $$ has been spent on my education. I can't do my job without the stuff under my skull. I could still do my job if I had torn ligaments or a broken leg. If I have a fatal ski accident, then I'm not exactly caring about my livelihood. :o

Calgal

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If the severity of a head injury can be reduced or prevented by wearing a helmet, then by all means I think we should be wearing one. If you don't have one on your head the day that you and another skier collide and your head takes a hit, it could be the difference between some nagging, long term symptoms from having a severe concussion. I have a friend who took a bad fall many yrs ago and is still suffering from dizziness due to post concussion syndrome. I wear a Giro Fuse with Tune ups (also low volume) and not always turned on. I find it to be more comfy than a hat or toque (sp??) That's my two cents worth !!

altagirl

Staff member
Squaw said:
To give a stark example, biomechanics have demonstrated that in order to protect the head against a direct impact blow at 30 mph, with currently available materials, a helmet would need to be at least 18cm thick, 50cm wide and weigh 5kg+. Hhhmm….stylish. Radar data collected from ski areas suggests most intermediate skiers regularly travel at between 24-38 mph.

How often does a direct blow to the head happen though? I think almost all hits to the head are glancing blows. Even if you slam your head into the ice while traveling really fast downhill, the majority of your momentum is still going downhill, not straight down. So it wouldn't really be possible to have a direct impact blow at that kind of speed into the ground - unless you're coming head first off of a cliff onto a rock or ice to have picked up more vertical speed.

So that leaves collissions with objects or other skiers. And even then, you're rarely going to be in a situation to hit something dead-on with your head.

All I'm trying to say is that even if you're regularly skiing fast, the speed you're traveling is almost never going to result in a direct impact blow to the head at that same speed.

I personally never ski or bike without a helmet. They're comfortable, light, and it just seems like such an easy thing to do to add to your safety - like wearing your seatbelt. It can't protect from everything, but it's certainly better than nothing!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
altagirl said:
How often does a direct blow to the head happen though? I think almost all hits to the head are glancing blows. Even if you slam your head into the ice while traveling really fast downhill, the majority of your momentum is still going downhill, not straight down. So it wouldn't really be possible to have a direct impact blow at that kind of speed into the ground - unless you're coming head first off of a cliff onto a rock or ice to have picked up more vertical speed.

So that leaves collissions with objects or other skiers. And even then, you're rarely going to be in a situation to hit something dead-on with your head.

I tend to agree with this. That's actually the mentality that I had last season, when I first thought of buying a helmet. I decided not to at that time because I (and a pal) figured that the likelihood of me crashing badly enough that a helmet would actually help was slim. We also thought that even if it were a direct enough hit that a helmet would "help," we weren't entirely sure whether the spine could handle that trauma.

altagirl

Staff member
Pequenita said:
I tend to agree with this. That's actually the mentality that I had last season, when I first thought of buying a helmet. I decided not to at that time because I (and a pal) figured that the likelihood of me crashing badly enough that a helmet would actually help was slim. We also thought that even if it were a direct enough hit that a helmet would "help," we weren't entirely sure whether the spine could handle that trauma.

It's the little ones that I want the helmet for. Heck, I slipped and fell on the slate floor in my kitchen - knocked myself out cold and ended up with a huge headache and painful lump on my head for a week. It's not that hard to picture slipping and falling and just smacking my head into a rock or ice, or banging into a tree branch that is a total non-event with a helmet, but could easily require stitches, evacuation off the hill, etc. Sure, if you're falling off a cliff onto rocks, or slamming into a big tree at 50mph - nothing's going to help. But it will help with the little falls that can result in a lot of preventable pain.

SnowGlider

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Whole bunch of bumps in one fall

I distinctly remember my head going BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP about 15 times once when I took a head-frst slide on my back and traveled downhill at high speed. Each one of those bumps was jarring and I ended up with a lot of upper-body damage (neck, back, and shoulders). But I was wearing a helmet and there was no damage to my head. I cringe to think what might have happened had I not been wearing a helmet.

I think a helmet should be required in all instructional programs, to build good habits early on. I'm aghast that I took dozens of lessons where I wasn't required to wear a helmet, even on steep and crowded terrain. An intermediate hill on a Saturday can be very dangerous.

lil mountain girl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Pequenita said:

ok, so it may seem like i'm repeating some things here but here goes anyway . . .

first, yes it's true, helmets don't provide a magic orb around you sheltering you from all harm BUT they do prevent TONS of injuries every day -- not to mention reduce the severity of injuries.

i work as a volunteer ski patroller at my local mountain and i can tell you first hand that the most serious accident we've had all year was a head injury.

just like the stats in the article stated, the injury was a result of a skier's collision with a tree resulting in chest injury and serious head injury. if this guy had been wearing a helmet, he probably would have a concussion. instead he is currently comatose -- and he's been in a coma since january.

also, the study posted didn't talk about things like: the increase of skiers/snowboarders in the past few yrs in relationship to # of accidents/incidents/fatalities, helmets reducing the severity of injury etc.

helmets are crutial for skiers and snowboarders of all levels (bikers too!!) !!! :D

like everyone before me has said, helmets are like seatbelts in cars . . . if you get in an accident you still may get injured or killed, but do you wear YOUR seatbelt? :rolleyes:

happy skiing,
lil mtn girl

ps i currently wear a bole (spelling??) helmet. i love it. it's warm, and provides great protection from branches when charging through the trees!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
All I can say about this is that my daughter got a nasty concussion snowboarding when she fell and hit her head. After that, we all got helmets.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
lil mtn girl - I don't think anyone is actually saying that helmets are completely useless. It sounds like we're (the posters, at least!) all converts wearing one just in case that freak accident happens to us. :smile:

lil mountain girl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Pequenita said:
lil mtn girl - I don't think anyone is actually saying that helmets are completely useless. It sounds like we're (the posters, at least!) all converts wearing one just in case that freak accident happens to us. :smile:

sorry!
i get kind of passionate sometimes! :D

lil mtn girl

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
all of the above is true

I have to agree with a little bit of what everyone is saying. I wear a helmet when I can. The last time, and I mean the last time I ever skied really fast on a groomer I caught an edge and in effort to save my knees, forced myself to go down backwards. Not necesarily recommended, but I thought it was a good idea at the time. Consequently I racked my head on the ground good and hard, sufferred a concussion with a helmet on but further damaged my neck from the weight of the helmet slamming it backwards. Now I find that if I wear my helmet for multiple days in a row,
my neck hurts and I get a headache. So yes I think I probably fared better by wearing it, but yes you can under some circumstances injure your spine. I guess you have to decide which one is more important to you. I wear my helmet when I am skiing with kids or when mine may see me on the mountain, but I do take a break from it from time to time.

Squaw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sometimes I think it is even more critical for beginning skiers to wear helmets, especially when moving off the novice slopes onto busy intermediate runs. And definately kids. Some areas give discounts on tickets to kids with helmets.

Jen

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna