• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Article in Outside about the Palisades Avalanche

Mary Brosnan

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here is a link to an recent piece about the Palisades Avalanche. Definitely makes me think more about using my beacon inbounds when out West. And kudos to all the skiers and snowboarders who mobilized quickly to help with the rescue - truly amazing.

beane

Certified Ski Diva
My husband was caught in an in-bounds avalanche at Palisades (on the Alpine side) on Feb 4th. He was carried about 50 meters and buried up to his waist. His good friend (an ex-patroller) and my kids (ages 8 and 11) dug him out :frown: . It was so terrifying. They were all wearing beacons and very glad to have avy gear with them. Patrol closed the slope for the rest of that day. The issue (apparently) was that even though they set off bombs that morning, it snowed ~7 inches in an hour and a half or so and was unstable. Needless to say I'm now anxious when they ski.

mustski

Angel Diva
I bought Bob a beacon. Of course, he has yet to use it but he has been skiing in bounds with me on groomers or lightly bumped runs. I'm still recovering from a hand injury and keeping it simple. I'm not one to head to the trees or off piste after a big snowfall so he does need a beacon because he goes alone.

Reactions: AJM

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
My husband was caught in an in-bounds avalanche at Palisades (on the Alpine side) on Feb 4th. He was carried about 50 meters and buried up to his waist. His good friend (an ex-patroller) and my kids (ages 8 and 11) dug him out :frown: . It was so terrifying. They were all wearing beacons and very glad to have avy gear with them. Patrol closed the slope for the rest of that day. The issue (apparently) was that even though they set off bombs that morning, it snowed ~7 inches in an hour and a half or so and was unstable. Needless to say I'm now anxious when they ski.
I’m glad your loved ones are ok physically. Sending lots of healing thoughts for their hearts and minds. that must have been so terrifying for the kids.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So glad the outcome was positive, but how scary that must have been! I totally understand how you feel.

Mary Brosnan

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh wow. That sounds terrifying and so glad everyone is ok.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna