• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Are snowfall totals exaggerated?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Shocking accusation, isn't it? :wink:

This was in today's Rutland Herald:

Study claims ski areas inflate snowfall totals

Two Dartmouth College professors have come out with a report that accuses ski areas across the country of fudging snowfall totals. The study, "Wintertime for Deceptive Advertising?," compares snowfall reports from eastern and western resorts with totals recorded by nearby government weather stations. The report, co-authored by Eric Zitzewitz and Jonathan Zinman, concluded that ski areas inflated snowfall totals, especially on weekends, which are the more profitable days of the week.

"Overall, the resorts report an inch or more of additional fresh snow on weekends when exaggerating," according to the 29-page report. Zitzewitz said the "weekend effect" was more pronounced at ski areas with more expert terrain and at ski areas within 150 miles of a major city. "So, New England, Lake Tahoe, you see more of this weekend effect than you would in Montana," Zitzewitz said Wednesday. The report covers 2004-2008 using data from SkiReport.com and OnTheSnow.com, private archived Internet sites and government data.

The report is broken down by region and no individual resorts are mentioned. Zitzewitz said the inflated snowfall reports applied to Vermont ski areas as well. The study also found that the exaggerated snowfall reports fell sharply toward the end of the study period with the introduction of an iPhone application that allows skiers to comment and report snow conditions in real time. Zitzewitz said the application "had a real powerful disciplining effect" at resorts that had good iPhone reception.

Vermont ski industry representatives took issue with the report. Parker Riehle of the Vermont Ski Areas Association said the state's ski areas take great care in reporting precise snowfall amounts, taking measurements around the base and the summit. Riehle said snowfall can also vary from trail to trail at a particular resort. "Given the customer feedback and the peer review from competing ski areas, there's just a lot of innate pressure to get it right," said Riehle, president of the VSAA. He also said if ski areas were going to inflate snowfall it would make more sense to do that during the week "when you're trying to create and generate buzz and excitement for the coming weekend." He said exaggerating snowfall on the weekend doesn't make sense because skiers and riders are already on the mountain or planning to come. Riehle also criticized the report because it throws together all eastern resorts. He added that there can be significant differences in snowfall between what is reported by resorts and weather stations.

The report used data from weather stations that on average were 26 miles from resorts in the East and 160 feet below the summit. Asked whether that distance between a weather station and a resort could explain a difference in reporting totals, Zitzewitz said the difference shouldn't be systematic, especially since there are on average an equal number of weather stations in all directions. "But more importantly, to the extent there is a systematic difference, it shouldn't be any larger on the weekend," he said in a subsequent e-mail. The study found that while deceiving skiers can result in lost business, Zitzewitz and Zinman noted that on "a one-shot basis" switching resorts even between "neighboring resorts" can be more trouble than it's worth. "On a longer-term basis, some consumers may find it costly to coordinate with peers on alternative destinations or to learn how to navigate the terrain and ancillary services (parking, rentals, dining, lodging) of a new mountain," the report said.

At Killington Resort, the largest resort in the East, spokesman Tom Horrocks said fudging snowfall totals just doesn't happen. "In the five years I have been here, I can fully state 100 percent that we have never exaggerated our snow totals at any time,' Horrocks said. "It's unethical, and at the end of the day you have to answer to the guests on the other side of the ticket window.

Bruce Schmidt, vice president and general manager of Okemo Mountain Resort, said the resort measures snowfall as accurately as possible. "There are a number of mountain-environment variables like elevation, wind blow and weather, that we have to factor into calculations, but we monitor snow depths consistently at numerous locations around the resort," Schmidt said in an e-mail.

Although the ski areas took issue with the report, Killington's Horrocks said in the past some resorts may have inflated snowfall totals but not any longer. "Maybe there was 10 years ago but in the past five or 10 years, no," he said.

Horrocks said Killington has installed several live Web cams so skiers and riders can "see what the conditions are."

altagirl

Staff member
The reality is that in most storms, the snow gets blown around and you may have some areas that all the new snow is blown off and others that are 5 feet deep of fresh. It's not usually that bad, but it's not all that often where it just falls straight down and you could go measure the same amount everywhere on the mountain. How much new snow is there? It depends on where you measure... and I think that the resorts around here do a pretty good job of getting as accurate a figure as is possible. Usually when there has been wind, you will find places WAY deeper than what they reported as new snow, so it seems to be accurate to me.

Plus... hehe, the snow reports that get people running up to the mountains around here are like... 18" of fresh snow. If it's really only 17" would you stay home? Who cares.

Jilly

Staff member
I'm sure that Tremblant only measures on the north side of the mountain. That's where they get more snow.

Yeah its a marketing thing. But as AG says, would 1" make you stay away. If there were saying 6" when its only 1" - then the paying public would catch on and they would be called on it.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
...and I think that the resorts around here do a pretty good job of getting as accurate a figure as is possible. Usually when there has been wind, you will find places WAY deeper than what they reported as new snow, so it seems to be accurate to me.

Yeah, in my experience this isn't really a problem out west. It's over here, where they're trying to make 2" sound like a reason to run out and give them your money, that you start getting reports that feel wildly inaccurate.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
What our mountains General Manager has told us is that in the cumulative totals, they never factor in any loss due to warm temps or rain. So if you have 22" and then lose some due to rain, and then get another foot, you'd still have 34".

altagirl

Staff member
What our mountains General Manager has told us is that in the cumulative totals, they never factor in any loss due to warm temps or rain. So if you have 22" and then lose some due to rain, and then get another foot, you'd still have 34".

Yeah - there's a big difference between base depth and total snowfall. Rain is rarely an issue here, but we get compression. You could get 3 feet of fluffy stuff and then even with just wind, it sucks the air out of it and it compresses down... then add skier compaction and that 3' might be like 8" once it's skied out.

Our base depths generally show quite a decrease in between storms unless it's already compacted and stays really cold.

abc

Banned
Even in the east, I'm not so sure it's really that important an inch here or there. If Killington reports 3" and Mt. Snow report 4, I wouldn't change my plan to go to Mt. Snow as a result.

On the other hand, when Killington AND Mt. Snow both report 3" and Okemo reports 6", I just ignore that number. (for those not in the northeast, Okemo is half way between Killington and Mt Snow, and generally have the same weather) But if someone is dumb enough to believe the fake number, well, buyers beware.

I personally think resorts don't purposely over-report what they receive. It's probably just the harmless "round up" effect.

Just don't get me started on the definition of "surface condition"! How far and wide can a resort stretch the definition of "pack powder"???

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My parents' house is 5 mi from me in Littleton, and they always get a couple more inches than we do, because we are in a valley (lower altitude). It's probably an elevation difference of 500 ft? Anywhere near mountains is going to have all sorts of variables and microclimates -- anyone who has been near them for any length of time knows that and doesn't worry about an inch here and there.

I always think in ranges, anyway: 3 in. or less, 4-6 in., 7-10, 11-18, and gargantuan. Or something like that. Because that's what you're going to get across the mountain, at LEAST that.

Okay, gotta go shopping.

Christy

Angel Diva
Just don't get me started on the definition of "surface condition"!

I don't think I've ever seen surface condition listed for an area here in WA. Do most other places have that on their websites?

marzNC

Angel Diva
I don't think I've ever seen surface condition listed for an area here in WA. Do most other places have that on their websites?

Standard practice in the Southeast. Also have separate measurements for manmade vs natural snow. For instance, today Snowshoe in WV has "Powder! Machine-made, groomed" because they got 5-8 inches from the snowstorm moving up the east coast today.

Christy

Angel Diva
Thanks Melissa, I'd never seen that! I also found slope conditions for Baker but can't find it on the Crystal or Snoqualmie websites. Though if everyone thinks they exaggerate I guess this isn't something I need to check anyway.

geargrrl

Angel Diva

Mt. Spokane lists it. They had 1000 euphemism for various conditions.

variable
packed powder
wet packed

was just some of what I saw on the snow report in the last few weeks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga