• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Appropriateness of a used Atomic Beta Carv

Squaw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm helping a friend find a used ski for her teenage daughter -- tall but lightweight(110 lbs max?), intermediate level, on piste use. She is hoping to find a ski that her daughter can use for a few years, maybe 4-10 ski days a year.

She knows that demoing is the ideal route, but especially for older models, that is harder to do. She has found this ski -- about 5 years old but barely used: Atomic beta carv x9.18 skis size 160 with Tyrolla bindings.

One question is whether a 160 is too much of a ski for the level and weight.

one review online says:
“Designed for the athletic, performance carver for varied carving use. Excellent ski test results in many technical magazines prove the success of the 9.18 ski. Universal range of applications. Fast and easy mastering of the carving technique by everyone with the help of Beta Technology. These "tenacious," "flexible," "super lively" skis are "forgiving and easy to handle." They're "not stiff enough for hard-core racing" and may be "a little rough in the powder," but reviewers call them "a great all-mountain ski" that "carves like crazy." "This is a great ski for those quick turns on a steep hill." "If you have graduated from the race scene and want an all-mountain ski that can go fast, bang bumps and provide some great powder skiing stability, the 9.18 is the way to go."

Anyone have any thoughts on this ski for an intermediate, developing skier? Thoughts on the length?

Jen

Jilly

Staff member
Atomic 9.18 or C9 as it was later known was the hero ski. It made anyone ski better. Just how tall? I skied the C9 in a 160, I'm 5'5, but got some weight on her. But she's got youth on her side. I bought the ski because I had lost 40 lbs and found my Viper's just a little too stiff. After a while I found this ski too soft for me, so it might just be the right thing. In fact I bought the Z5's to replace the C9's. So it wasn't that long ago.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Agreed.....the 9.18 was a pretty nice ski for it's time. It was fairly forgiving, had a largish sweet spot, and was fun and stable at speed.

160 may be a bit much at her weight, but she'll probably be fine.
If it's a killer deal, go for it.

Squaw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:grouphug: You ladies rock! Excellent! I will pass this info on to her.

Jen

rangergrrl

Certified Ski Diva
Beta Carv

LOL I still ski on my Beta Carv when its cruddy and ice covered. I have the Beta Carv Max...can't remember the model number off hand. The pair that I have are 160s and I'm 5'2. The particular pair that I have are heavy and very stiff, but on days when I need those crudbusters they come outta the seasonal locker for some slope time!

Jilly

Staff member
The Max was even before the 9.18. Atomic even prettied up the C9 in a blue version and a soft green for the ladies. Women's skis were just starting to come to market.

I'll too think your friend will be OK on the 9.18 and 160's.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga