• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Anything special about poles for skiing powder?

Quiver Queen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I hope to be skiing a fair amount of powder over the next couple of winters, and only have little bitty baskets on my carbon fiber poles, I could probably benefit by something more specific for powder. Since my poles are carbon & the baskets are difficult to remove, I don't want to chance breaking them by swapping out the baskets so I might need a new pair. Additionally, my poles are 45" but poles come in 44 & 46" lengths, mine have angled necks, and one of my arms doesn't extend fully which is helped by the angle.

So the questions are-- Is there anything special about powder poles other than the size of the basket? Is there any benefit to having straight vs. bent poles while skiing powder? Is there any need to go a little shorter or a little longer than my hard-pack poles?

bklyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No difference. If the length fits you, then you'll be fine for powder.

Just go into a shop you trust and let them tell you if you can swap out the baskets. The answer is probably going to be yes.

skigrl27

Ski Diva Extraordinaire<br>Legal & Environmental A
yeah, make sure you can push yourself up on them when you find yourself poofed & fallen in deep pow, sideways, upside down, legs akimbo...and your only hope of standing again is your poles.

lol. i've been in this spot a few times already this season!

Quiver Queen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the suggestions. I've discovered that my ultralight adjustable Leki trekking poles take a powder basket made by Leki just for that, so I'm ordering a pair today.:clap:

abc

Banned
Since we're on powder poles and their length. Let me barge right in. ;)

I kind of felt my "regular" length pole really drag on the powder. I'm guessing reason being my skis are now BELOW the surface of snow instead of ON it. So the pole felt kind of ungainly long!

Is it just me? Or do other felt the same way. If so, do you do anything about it? Do you go shorter when there's lot of powder?

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the suggestions. I've discovered that my ultralight adjustable Leki trekking poles take a powder basket made by Leki just for that, so I'm ordering a pair today.:clap:
That is a good suggestion. I have a pair of those and may do the same. It would be easy to take along on a trip too!!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga