• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Anyone familiar with unloader braces?

atlantiqueen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I finally saw the famous Dr. Brown last week.
Definitely a torn meniscus from last February's tumble down Right Stuff (I am such a good diagnostician:D) He wants to do a scope as soon possible. :injured:

However, I have a "condition" :redface: which prevents any surgical intervention for the next several months - it also means I'm not allowed to ski this season:nono: ! (Any guesses?)

I will have the scope sometime late next summer or early fall (plenty of recovery time for next ski season). So I have to live vicariously through the forum until then!!

The doc has suggested medial heel lifts and an unloader brace until I can have the scope. Anyone have experience with either of these??

AQ

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
AQ I'm thinking of you.
PM me if you are in the mood to commiserate.
I am out until January at the earliest.

WildKitten

Certified Ski Diva
Hi Atlantiqueen,

I am the owner of a CTI un loader brace and I've had a very positive experience with it.

In late summer 2007 I had bilateral meniscus repair. I'd lost a lot of meniscus according to the doc, 75% outside and 50% inside and he said I'd require knee replacement down the road. :(

About two months after the surgery I was still unable to perform aerobics without pain and was very disillusioned about the surgery.

I went back to the doctor and told him I wanted to be able to ski and if I couldn't do aerobics without pain there was no way I'd be able to ski without pain.

I told him I wanted physical therapy (which he didn't feel I needed right after surgery) and I told him I wanted a brace (I'd been doing a lot of reading about them). He suggested the injectable joint fluid Supartz.

I had six weeks of physical therapy, which helped me. I went to the brace store. When I told the guy I was a skier he measured me for a brace instead of giving me one off of the shelf. It wasn't cheap, around $1100, but the insurance covered all but about $300 of it.

To answer your question, the un loader brace is a dream. It's sleek (I was able to choose the color) and comfortable. I had my best season of skiing last year. No knee pain and no weakness at all. I felt stronger and more in control.

I don't wear it around the house too much anymore. I've modified my exercise routine so I don't abuse my knees (elliptical machine instead of aerobics). I get 4-5 Supartz injections every 6 months and feel they help too.

But I know if it wasn't for my brace I wouldn't be able to ski.

I would definitely suggest an un loader brace to you and I wish you well.

SueNJ

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a custom unloader brace that I use on my arthritic knee. I used it regularly early on after my diagnosis and cartilage debridement surgery (2 years ago), but I rarely have to use it at this point, unless I have a flare-up of arthritis. It's very comfortable and really worked wonders when I had ongoing knee pain.

atlantiqueen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
thanks WildKitten & SueNJ - I'm being custom fitted tomorrow

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If your "condition" is what I think it is, CONGRATS! :wink:

No experience with the brace but I hope it works out for you!

atlantiqueen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got fitted for the brace today - $1100 :eek:!! Fortunately I have a great insurance plan and 100% is covered (phew!)

I could have had the graphite cadillac for $1300 but as my weight will be fluctuating over the next several months, I opted for the flexible brace that will grow and (hoprefully) shrink with me.

Thanks for all the info

AQ

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna