• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Any tips for getting a ski on after a fall?

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was thinking about what a great season we've all had this past year. A lot of skill improvements too. However, I stilll have difficulty getting a ski back on when I've fallen on a steeper slope. Perhaps I don't fall enough to get the practice I need...but when I do, I feel like a complete dolt! The first thing I do is gather the equipment no longer attached to me and move over to the side. Although I know what to do, I cannot seem to make the process smooth. It can take many minutes depending on the terrain. The humiliation and entertainment factor contribute very little to the overall skiing experience. I definitely need some tricks!

altagirl

Staff member
This is trickier with twin tip skis, but stab the tail of the ski into the snow at about a 30 degree angle, and parallel to your other ski. Then the ski is not moving around and you can click into the binding. Once it's on, you can pole forward and pull or kick your leg forward to get it loose from the snow. If both skis are off, you can do the same thing, just once you get the first one on, get it loose from the snow then put the second one on.

The alternative is to find or pack down a flat spot in the snow to get them on, but that takes more time and runs more risk of hitting it funny and having it slide away from you in the process.

If you have snow packed to the bottom of your boots, you need to knock it off with a pole/hand/binding (but only if the ski is really jammed into the snow solidly or it will take off on you.

Oh - and if you are on a groomer/hardpack and can get to/just off of the edge of the grooming, that would make things a lot easier with jamming the tails of the skis into the snow. And if you're on twintips, you have to start at a steeper angle and then push the tip down as it's going under the snow to make it work. Flat tails definitely make this a lot easier.

And finally - if you're in deep powder and can't stand up easily because when you push your hands down they just keep on sinking... make an X with your poles and hold them in the center. Then push down using that. You might have to pack it down a bit, but that will help (kindof like snowshoes). In deep powder the same trick I mentioned at the top can help, just don't jam the tails very deep into the snow - keeping your bindings up out of the snow will let you click in easier so you don't have to pack it down or keep brushing it out of the way.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
This is trickier with twin tip skis, but stab the tail of the ski into the snow at about a 30 degree angle, and parallel to your other ski.

Note to east coasters: This only works when there's enough snow to stick the tail of your ski into. ;)

If the trail is a little steeper you can actually sit on your hip, with the foot you're trying to get the ski on on the outside (i.e. farther from the snow). Then you can just put the ski in your hands, reach down, and snap it onto your boot. I do this sometimes if I'm on something steep-ish the conditions are too icy for the ski to stay put otherwise.

And finally - if you're in deep powder and can't stand up easily because when you push your hands down they just keep on sinking...

What I do in that situation is say a little prayer of thanks that I am in such deep powder. ;)

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you lost just one ski ....
Make some flat space in the slope with the other ski (works not on icy conditions).

MaryLou

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Note to east coasters: This only works when there's enough snow to stick the tail of your ski into. ;)

If the trail is a little steeper you can actually sit on your hip, with the foot you're trying to get the ski on on the outside (i.e. farther from the snow). Then you can just put the ski in your hands, reach down, and snap it onto your boot. I do this sometimes if I'm on something steep-ish the conditions are too icy for the ski to stay put otherwise.

What I do in that situation is say a little prayer of thanks that I am in such deep powder. ;)

So funny...that's what I was thinking. "Huh...put your ski into snow?" Usually it's a hard crust lol. LOL about the prayer - I think the only place I've had issues with deep powder is in the woods, and then there's usually a tree or other person around to help (while I'm inevitably giggling b/c it's such a riot lol).

If I'm in bumps, I'll get to the base of one and stand on the one below (if that makes sense). But usually I flatten out a spot, put on my downhill ski, then my uphill. I find getting up on steeps to be easy...it's falling on the flats that is killer lol...so hard to get back up - I'm like a turtle on it's back!

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you for the tips so far. I've tried packing down to create a platform with some success. When I fall--(and I didn't mean to sound as if I never fall, I just don't lose the skis most of the time--) my wayward ski usually enjoys a solo ride to a lower area of the slope. This is always a delightful serendipity when you're skiing alone. The idea of squatting over the hip sounds intriguing, but I cannot quite get the picture. Maybe I'm just enough of a klutz that this problem will only be solved with much more practice. This season I will be getting acquainted with the twin-tip Celebrities...so who knows, this could be the year for plenty of opportunity to get this issue worked out.

mountainxtc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree with the technique of creating a platform in the snow for the ski. If you can use a bump, so much the better. Place your skis parallel facing across the hill. Use both poles for balance. Put on your downhill ski first. If you already have one ski on, turn so it is the downhill ski. Roll your ankle and knee in to the hill so you have a platform and good grip to balance against while you put on your uphill ski. Make sure the uphill ski is close to the downhill before you try to put it on, and away you go.

If you just lose one ski and the other winds up down the hill and you are not comfortable skiing down on one ski, turn so the ski on your foot is on the downhill side and sideslip by rolling off the edge progressively to gain speed and rolling the ankles and knees into the hill to slow down.

Always make sure you move to a safe spot before putting your skis back on. Get to the side of the run and make sure you are visible from above. Good luck!!

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
did it again.

:confused::confused: Ok. the other day I was at the top of a very slick and fairly steep slope. After my first turn, which was probably too sharp caused by that old "avoidance" position, I of course fell. One of the skis came off. For the life of me, I could not get it back on. The DIN setting is higher than I usually ski, due to the binding. I cannot seem to get the ski on a flat plane so the angle of the slope made it impossible for me to put my ski back on. There was not enough snow soft enough to create the platform for that particular technique...I was really in a predicament. Fortunately, my husband was at the bottom of this section of slope. He hiked back up. I eventually just took off the other ski and hiked to the top and started over. This event ruined my day. It was the first day of skiing on my vacation--which I'd spent sick in bed--. Perhaps I didn't have the strength; but I was quite frustrated. The "hip-sitting" idea still seems plausible but I can't quite imagine how this is accomplished. At least not on a slope where every slight movement could send you sliding downward. I'm surely needing practice with this. Maybe I should spend part of a day actually trying different methods.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Badger, often times the side of the run, right at the trees will have snow soft enough to get somewhat of a platform going so I'd slide over there and check it out. But, most importantly, try not to let one little event get the better of your day! It makes me sad that you feel like a day was ruined based on this. :(

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Robyn, Yeah, I felt badly about it too. I believe much of the negativity may have been due to my really not feeling well. I also think I would have approached that slope more effectively had I the mental resources available...in fact, I quit for the day when I realized my strength was not enough to continue skiing without injuring myself or someone else. As for the side of the slope, it was simply a weird spot. The softer snow edge looked more like a tree-well; cavitous and unstable. You're right though, the edges of runs are good pit stops.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, I hope you feel better soon. Don't let one bad day get the best of you though! Even the most experienced skiers have moments that are just weird. I once was in a coaching clinic doing a drill on virtually flat terrain and I fell on my arse. In front of all the other coaches. Fabulous.

persee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well I used to have an absolute devil of a time trying to get a ski back on if there was any pitch, and particularly if it was icy. So incredibly frustrating. Eventually I just got "it". I'm not sure what exactly happened, if it was just reaching a critical mass of practice, or what. Just rest assured it WILL get better.

All of the tips above make a great deal of sense so keep them in mind.

Oh and my first time ever in DEEP snow (Loveland after a week where they had over 3feet of fresh) oh boy! I had a fall where I simply could not get up w/o removing a ski, well then the REAL fun began of trying to get myself back upright to even try to put the ski BACK ON. After 5-10 minutes of entertainment for everyone else on that slope I did it. The EASY part was getting my boot back in the binding. But boy was I tired after that but it felt like such a huge victory.

PNWSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My second year skiing I fell and could not get my boot snapped in. Tried and tried and I swear this couple was watching and laughing. She kept yelling something but I was too far away to hear her. Just as I was about to take the other one off and walk, she skied over, leaned down to my ski and popped the binding up. My foot released but the binding was still in the locked position. So, my lesson learned was to check your bindings before fighting with getting your boot back in!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga