• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Any Diva's ever ski South America?

wahineskisk2

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm thinking of a South American trip this summer. When did you go? Did you take a tour or go it on you're own? If you took a tour, were you happy with it?

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
See the Trip Reports section for a journal on our trip to Chile in Summer, 2008. I just bumped it up to make it easy to find.

However, I don't know how badly the roads up to the mountain areas may have been damaged by the recent quakes. Keep in mind that Chile does not have the resources to make repairs as quickly as we would in the US.

We did it on our own but this might be the summer to take a tour, as the tour operators will be most aware of the local (changing) road conditions. Some posters on another forum call it the TISA (This is South America) factor and you have to realize when visiting South America that things happen much more slowly (and sometimes not at all) than you are accustomed to. However, it is a wonderful experience and if you have the time, you should combine it with a trip to Cuzco and Machu Picchu.

Allie

Certified Ski Diva
Wahineshi2, I am actually looking at going to Portillo Chile in late August. One of my girlfriends went two years ago and loved it.

She also loved Termes de chillan...apparently there is a fantastic resort right at the bottom and the skiing was in her words amazing. Big long open runs that are 10-15kms long.

Right now I am in the gather up information stage of my trip planning. All I do know at this point is its not a cheap holiday.

These ski hill areas were not affected by the quakes. Portillo has a facebook page and Termes website also has updates.

wahineskisk2

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Allie, are you going it on your own or with a tour? Yes, it is expensive! I'm not sure where I want to go yet. I've heard mixed things about Portillo. I'd still like to go there, but they only seem to have the full week / all inclusive rates. I've been told by a few people that a week at Portillo is a long time... I've heard good things about Argentina. If I go, I'm going alone, so I'll probably do a tour/group thing. Let's keep each other updated on info we come across. Maybe one of us will find some deals...

marzNC

Angel Diva
NASTC does a clinic in Portillo in August. One of the instructors at the Diva clinic, Robin, used to spend her summers there. Can't remember who is handling the clinic this summer.

https://www.skinastc.com/m2_c4.html#chile

There is an article about Portillo in Ski, March/April I think. Picked it up at the Reno airport because Jenny mentioned it at the Diva dinner.

Jenn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How much $? (Skip the airfare:smile:
I started looking at S.A. skiing last summer during the doldrums. The dreaming alone was wonnnnderful :smile:

belle

Certified Ski Diva
Allie, are you going it on your own or with a tour? Yes, it is expensive! I'm not sure where I want to go yet. I've heard mixed things about Portillo. I'd still like to go there, but they only seem to have the full week / all inclusive rates. I've been told by a few people that a week at Portillo is a long time... I've heard good things about Argentina. If I go, I'm going alone, so I'll probably do a tour/group thing. Let's keep each other updated on info we come across. Maybe one of us will find some deals...

Portillo will accept reservation shorter than a week a couple of weeks before you arrive.

skilouise

Diva in Training
I've skied Portillo (planned w 3 friends via their website) as well as Valle Nevado and Chillan booked with the Atlanta Ski Club, and a second trip to VN booked via US travel agent. Also skied Argentina (Bariloche & Chapelco) w ATL Ski Club. Portillo & VN are within a couple of hours of Santiago (ski the day you fly in!), Chillan was a 5+ hour bus ride from there. Resorts in Argentina are a plane ride away from Buenos Aires.

Chile could be compared to a cruise ship where you can ski, there isn't a village per se, just a few types of accommodation and several restaurants, VN has a few shops. Portillo is limited in terms of amenities, one restaurant plus a snack bar or mountain top restaurant for lunch if you choose, but it's a stunning location. Most are all inclusive (lodging, meals, lift ticket) with your bar tab separate. Portillo's website is sophisticated enough to handle your booking, we booked VN via a US travel agent last summer because of a language barrier when I called to book direct, we wanted to be sure it was all set up properly...and we got a nice last-minute discount to boot!

I liked the skiing better in Chile, the terrain is more vast than Argentina. Argentina is lower altitude and is more susceptible to poor conditions, and they don't have on-mountain lodging where I went. You stay in a town and shuttle to the slopes daily (up to 30 minute drive) vs. skiing out the back door in Chile. My sentimental favorite is Valle Nevado because I met my husband on my first trip there. I would recommend going in August when conditions are more likely to be ideal. And keep your eyes peeled for teams training in the area for some ski celebrity sightings...being wakened everyday (Portillo) to the sounds of Bode Miller & Co. shusshing down their training runs, or having dinner "with" Shaun White (VN)!

I'm going with the Atlanta Ski Club to Bariloche this August, spots are still available if anyone is interested. Happy to provide more detail on individual resorts as needed, I know this was already a long post!

wahineskisk2

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow! Thanks skilouise! I'm thinking about Protillo and VN, but a group trip to Bariloche might be good too. I'll check out the Atlanta Ski Club.

Allie

Certified Ski Diva
I am getting excited just reading about others holiday/plans for SA skiing

I am getting quite pumped about skiing SA this year. I have a couple of challenges in the next three months that having a ski goal in August will help push me through.

wahineskisk2

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am getting quite pumped about skiing SA this year. I have a couple of challenges in the next three months that having a ski goal in August will help push me through.

Hey Allie, what are your plans so far? I really don't have any plans yet, but Portillo is on the list and so is Valle Nevado. I may just be dreaming at this point...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga