• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Another helmet thread - ventilation

michpc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So I've decided to invest in a helmet (well, actually I'm asking for one for xmas, so I guess I'm not really the one investing :smile:).

I dropped my skis off for tuning on Saturday and tried on a few helmets. I prefer the "board" look to the ones that look more like bike helmets, such as the Giro Fuse. I liked the way the Giro Shiv and the R.E.D. Trace helmets fit. However, I noticed that both of those helmets have the removable foam inserts for ventilation. This seems like it could be a bit of a PITA (especially with the Giro and it's $100 price tag). I also feel like I'm likely to lose those little pieces if given the chance!

My question is: how often do you use the open ventilation feature? I'm a New Englander and don't see myself skiing elsewhere (can't really afford trips out West). But I do enjoy spring skiing (although it was pretty chilly most of last spring). Is it worth it to go for a helmet with an easy to use vent switch, like the R.E.D. Heya/Skycap, Giro G10 (kinda pricey), or Smith Hustle (also pricey)?

Thanks in advance!!

And while I have your attention, is this color/pattern thing cute or ugly?

WHPAT.jpg

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
^^ I think it's cute! Is that the R.E.D.? FWIW, I'm a New Englander skier as well. Have a Giro Fuse, used it all last spring, ventilation was good, no issues. I don't mess with the plugs much. Skied in up to 60 degrees, it was fine. Last Saturday a.m. was just breaking 0 at summit, also fine (although I wear full balaclava beneath in cold temps). Just the best "hat" out there, hands down. Can't confirm but have read that R.E.D's (a division of Burton) don't offer as much protection as some others. ?? will seek info, forgot where I read this. The brand that trumps all is(was?) Leedom for passing all the ANSI standards, etc.

Any way you look at it, any helmet is better than none - get what suits you, feels the most comfortable and is most likely to get worn. JMHO.

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Watch steepandcheap.com and Tramdock.com for deals. I bought my husband a Giro G10 MX (with the visor) for $50 thanks to one of their deals. Also, backcountryoutlet.com is another great source.

I get really hot while skiing so on the fly ventilation changes are wonderful. I have a Giro Fuse. That said, up until recently, I had a helmet that you couldn't change the ventilation on it at all (and it was closed up pretty tightly). I survived, but I prefer having the option to easily change the ventilation now.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love my venting on the fly and absolutely would not buy a helmet without it. I use it regularly all season, even on the coldest of days. You might look at the Giro Omen which has a bit of a different styling with the venting on the fly. I have the G10 but would like to get the Fuse for my next one. That said, the one you posted is cute.

Shannon D

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just replaced my old Giro 9 with a Giro MX 10. The 9 had the removable foam inserts. They provide the best ventilation I have ever had in a helmet, but they really are a pain. You have to take the helmet completely off in order to vent and then you are guaranteed to lose a peice somewhere along the way. Hubby lost one of his side peices, so would borrow mine while I was pregnant. Not a problem until the first time I went skiing and my left ear was cold. That said, I will hang onto my old 9 for spring skiing, b/c you can't beat it for really warm weather.

Bottom line, vent on the fly is worth the $$$.

amanda

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I really like the on the fly ventilation in my helmet. I don't know if it would be as useful on the east coast as it is here in Colorado, but I really enjoy being able to get more or less ventilation just by pushing a button.

altagirl

Staff member
I've had 3 or 4 different helmets - all with some sort of ventilation system. I started with that Giro that you had to take the plugs out for (which was never a big deal for me since they never came out except for one day where it was probably 60 degrees out). Now they all have a switch to open or close the vents. I actually preferred the plugs because they seal the vents better than the models with the on-the-fly adjustments. To me - even when it's sunny and well above freezing, once you're moving fast it really makes me cold. Maybe that's weird - I know Saturday it was like 40 degrees and I was wearing a thin, uninsulated shell jacket and pants with light layers underneath... but had a liner under my helmet with the vents closed and was really comfortable.

My husband OTOH, never closes his vents, even on the coldest days. He only complains on the rare occasions where he falls in powder and packs the open vents with snow. Then he's actually cold for a change...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga