• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Anniversary ski trip suggestions- Northeast

stefski

Diva in Training
Hi-my husband and I are thinking of doing a ski trip for our ten year anniversary in Jan. We are probably going to stick to the northeast so we can drive instead of fly. My husband has only been snowboarding for a handful of years and his experience is limited to the poconos. I have been skiing for 20+ and thought I would introduce him to a bigger skiing experience. I am looking for resort/hotel recommendations-something romantic with a range of activities and, of course, great skiing. If anyone could help that would be great!

Jilly

Staff member
Nothing is more romantic than Quebec! Tremblant, Sutton or Mont Ste. Anne. But January, you might want to think Florida! It's just plain COLD here!

abc

Banned
Okemo, Stratton, nice midium size mountain, well groomed, relatively low key. Good range of other things to do.

The big league, Stowe. All of the above, only better (bigger mountain too). Long drive from the Poconos though.

Quebec had a reputation as the "Disney Land with snow" (of the east). Even longer drive than Stowe. And cold as Jilly warned.

Equally far away as Qeubec though had (what I personally feel) the best scenary of the east will be Canon and Bretton Woods in the white Mountains. Lots of B&B to choose from. Good snow and good grooming.

Oh I missed Whiteface and Lake Placid. The skiing on Whiteface is on the challenging side though. Takes a solid intermediate to really enjoy it. As cold if not more than Quebec, too. On the plus side, the village of Lake Placid is very pretty and has many interesting diversion.

Jilly

Staff member
"Disney Land with snow"

That would be Tremblant. There are many more areas/resorts than that in the province. That's why I suggested Mt Sutton or Mt. Ste. Anne.

Actually there is some great skiing at Saveur and some great places to stay. SkiBam what is the name of that place 1/2 way to Ste Agathe. Relais et Chateaux brand? Food is to die for! And I can't remember the name!!!!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Just saw your intro post and that you're from PA.
Do you have a good budget for this?
If so, I'd say STOWE.
I was at Trapp Family Lodge near Mansfield in Sept, it was amazing. Hunt it down online and see what kind of packages they've got.
Caveat: January in NE anywhere is COLD. Seriously cold.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
That would be Tremblant. There are many more areas/resorts than that in the province. That's why I suggested Mt Sutton or Mt. Ste. Anne.

Actually there is some great skiing at Saveur and some great places to stay. SkiBam what is the name of that place 1/2 way to Ste Agathe. Relais et Chateaux brand? Food is to die for! And I can't remember the name!!!!

Hmmm, don't know what that place is. There are a lot around with fabulous food. Personally, I would not drive all this way to ski around St. Sauveur; I only ski at these places when I have to (teaching there or grandkiddies visiting) even though I live within 5 - 10 minutes of several centres, but many people do love it. Tremblant would be a better bet, or as Jilly says, Mont Ste-Anne or maybe le Massif - latter is a gorgeous place. If you choose the Sutton area (one of my faves place in the region - wonderful skiing when the snow is good), you could also ski Owls Head (another fave) and you're not far from Jay. But as everyone has said, in January be prepared to be COLD.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
I'd recommend Stowe, too. They just build a new hotel that's supposed to be gorgeous, but I'm sure it's pricey. It's beautiful up there, though, and it's an amazing mountain.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I'd recommend Stowe, too. They just build a new hotel that's supposed to be gorgeous, but I'm sure it's pricey.
Stowe Mountain Lodge. Off the charts-pricey. Deer Valley-Beaver Creek range. Many, many more affordable options in the region, with the aforementioned Trapp Family Lodge being a nice one. One good aspect: January, albeit cold, often can yield some good package deals (if not during MLK weekend, which is huge in the NE, and busy).

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Work the 10-year wedding annversary angle, too -- there may some discounts for that, too!
Good thought. Worked for me for a gazillion years ago - DH's and my first CO trip together (we had both been there as singles, prior), which was our "honeymoon" (but postponed 2 years :becky:) that we saved and scrimped for. Got upgraded at one of our locations from a regular room to an INCREDIBLE 2 br condo with vaulted ceilings, fireplace, NO EXTRA CHARGE. :eek::clap: Wow, nice.

Worth a try!

Skisailor

Angel Diva
It's pricey, but if you can take the plunge, I agree with the others' recommendation that Stowe is the place to go for a romantic getaway with great skiing!

Quebec would be great too - but Stowe is closer. <wink>

It has a great mountain with fabulous views, luxury accomodations, a quintessential New England Village, charming restaurants, etc. etc.
(I've been to the new hotel on the Spruce side and it's really gorgeous. Reminded me of Snowbasin . . . and I think it might be the same developer.)

Skiing-wise, it has something for everyone - lots of blue cruisers, the legendary front four, bumps, glades . . you name it.

Plus there is good X-country skiing and snowshoeing at Trapp or on Stowe resort's own X-country trails, and you're not far from Sugarbush, Mad River Glen, Bolton Valley or Smuggler's Notch if you want to mix it up a bit and take a day trip elsewhere.

It's your anniversary - go ahead and splurge! :smile:

(And dress warm enough to hit the outside ice bar at . . . . - darn, can't remember which restaurant/tavern does that!)

stefski

Diva in Training
Thanks for all the great ideas!! I will get started looking into these. Hubby really wants to go in Jan since that's when our anniversary. He says he can handle the cold. We'll see. I'll just have to get the power pack for my boots before we go.:thumbsup:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga