• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Alterra to Acquire A-Basin

Amie H

Angel Diva
A lot of feelings expressed on Unofficial Networks' Instagram page the other day about paid reserved parking at A-Basin announced for '24-'25.
Here is the IG with comments:

The full article is here: https://unofficialnetworks.com/2024/03/21/arapahoe-basin-parking-reservations/

Amie H

Angel Diva
I haven't been there since 2018, but on that Saturday in early May (!) I barely got a spot in a remote lot, and needed to have two folks help me ease a rental Ford F-150 into a sliver of a space.

Here's more information/opinion published in the past week citing traffic and parking issues:

Last edited:

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
What was the deal with parking this year? Were people arriving only to find lots full?

NO. Parking has been fine. They've done an amazing job managing capacity. I ski weekend-centric days at A-Basin all season and this has really not been a problem. This seems like they want to get ahead of parking in anticipation of more skiers in the future but who knows.

Anyways, this news is bumming me out. Not sure what it means but seems unlikely to be good.

Amie H

Angel Diva
@RachelV Do you think they are anticipating higher skier volume, or, might this be an Alterra push for a new revenue stream? (The cynic in me says the latter.)

Or, third option, Dept of Transportation encouraging this?

marzNC

Angel Diva
might this be an Alterra push for a new revenue stream? (The cynic in me says the latter.)
For what it's worth, Solitude (owned by Alterra) moved to all paid parking several years ago. Solitude has limited parking, and has the UTA bus as an alternative. Around SLC, Brighton (owned by Boyne Resorts), Snowbird (owned by Powdr), and Alta (independent) also have had variations on pay parking in recent years.

Or, third option, Dept of Transportation encouraging this?
I've never had the sense the CO DOT would get involved with the idea of a private ski resort moving to pay parking. There was some government push related to parking at Eldora, but pretty sure it was by the county, not a state agency.

Amie H

Angel Diva
@marzNC interesting about Solitude.

I also doubted it was a DOT issue but the opinion piece in Outside online I posted made me wonder.

Also interesting to me that Outside did an opinion piece when the news broke.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna