• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Alta Demo Day April 2, 2022, mostly mid-80s width

marzNC

Angel Diva
The free Alta Demo Day is normally the first Saturday of April. This was the first on in a few years and was held on April 2, 2022. There were about a dozen brand tents, mostly major brands as opposed to Indies. Registration is only on-site starting at 8:30am, and the Demo Day ends at 3:00pm. The lifts open at 9:15am. Supposed to only take two runs.

Snow conditions were actually pretty decent for demo'ing after mid-morning when the snow in the sun softened. By the afternoon, there were soft bumps on the lower mountain. I usually check out skis for off-piste terrain on Lower Rustler or 180 if possible. Demo runs are done off the Collins lift since the Demo Day is set up at the Wildcat base.

There were far more skis for petite women than when I first started checking out skis at the Alta Demo Day in 2011. Since then I've become a solid advanced skier, age 65, 5'0", 110 pounds.

Although I rode up a couple times with @Scribble, I was demo'ing solo most of the day. Using the singles line meant very short waits to load the lift after 9:30 or so.

Alta Demo Day 02Apr2022 - 1.jpegAlta Demo Day 02Apr2022 - 2.jpegAlta Demo Day 02Apr2022 - 3.jpeg

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm not very analytical about ski design. When I demo, I know what feels good and what feels like more work. I don't buy skis very often because I don't like shopping. I rarely read ski reviews before I demo a particular model. Mostly because most formal reviewers are not my size and don't really match my terrain and skiing style preferences. However, I enjoy demo'ing because I always learn something useful. It's also helpful if there are situations when I need to rent skis.

I focused on Blizzard and Head because I hadn't demo'd those brands for a while. I learned a while ago that I generally like any Blizzard or Head skis. Since Stöckli was there and I really like my Stormrider 85 skis, I wanted to check out more Stöckli skis for future reference.

If you have questions about these skis, please ask. Remember I'm petite, can ski groomers pretty fast these days, and am comfortable in bumps in a variety of conditions.

FUN
Blizzard BP82 @159, 120-82-104, R 12.5 - groomers before 11:00am
Blizzard BP97 @159 , 135-97-117, R 14.0 - groomers before 11:00am
Head Absolut Joy @158, 131-79-109, R 12.2 - fun in general, about 11:30am
Stöckli Laser MX @159, 118-67-99, R12.6 - carving was really easy
Stöckli Nela 80 @157, 121-80-106, R14.0 - fun in general, soft bumps, 2:00pm
Head Total Joy @158, 134-85-113, R 12.9 - the right length, soft bumps

NOT REALLY FUN
Head Total Joy @153, 134-85-113, R 11.9 - too short, obvious on steeper blue groomer (Corkscrew)
Head SuperJoy 129-75-108, R 11.3 - decent carver but more work than Laser MX
Head Total Joy @163, 134-85-113, R 13.8 = too long, harder to turn on groomers and soft bumps

marzNC

Angel Diva
I deliberately checked out the Head Total Joy in three lengths. I knew from the start that 158cm was the best length based on experience demo'ing earlier models of the Total Joy and having owned the Absolut Joy @158cm. I've tried to demo one model in two lengths in the past. Never had a chance to try three lengths before. Very rarely get to try skis that are too short. Apparently the Total Joy even comes in 148cm.

Head Total Joy @153, 134-85-113, R 11.9 - too short, obvious on steeper blue groomer (Corkscrew)
Head Total Joy @163, 134-85-113, R 13.8 = too long, harder to turn on groomers and soft bumps

Note that the Turn Radius is different for the different lengths, even though the tip, center, tail widths are the same.

Since the Total Joy is the same width underfoot as my Stormrider 85, it made for a good direct comparison. I skied my own skis before lunch and after the last demo run. Fair to say that I like the Stormrider 85 better. It's more responsive. I bought them a few years ago on the second day doing demo rentals at Taos.

marzNC

Angel Diva
If I were to stick to one brand, without considering price, Stöckli would be the choice.

When I took out the Laser MX, there was a woman taking out the Nela 80. I only took one run not the MX and then waited until she brought back the Nela 80. She liked them a lot. Apparently hadn't demo'd skis for dozen years or so. Later on she demo'd the Total Joy @166 and liked them too. She was somewhat taller and heavier than I am, and seemed like a senior over 55.

The Laser MX was very easy to carve. I don't carve that often. In the west I ski more off-piste. In my home region in the southeast, the trails are pretty short so going fast by carving isn't really of that much interest.

The Nela 80 @157 was a LOT of fun. By then there was plenty of soft snow. I did the first run on the same trails and terrain I'd been doing for other skis. The second run I went all over the place. It was all good. If I skied more in the northeast, I would seriously consider buying a pair.

Alta Demo Skis 02Apr2022 - 4.jpegAlta Demo Skis 02Apr2022 - 5.jpeg

sevensaes

Certified Ski Diva
I love reading demo reports, especially if I am interested in a ski that is demo'ed! Thank you for your write up. :smile: Could I ask, what was your impression of the flex of the Nela 80, and stability at speed? I have only read positive reports about this ski, but these have mostly come from more petite skiers like yourself (here on Ski Diva as well as Ski Talk). I am bigger (5'7", about 155lb, advancing intermediate) so when I read about how "forgiving" and "accessible" of a ski this is for even lower intermediates in the reviews, I worry that it may be too soft. If this is even possible for a Stöckli, I mean, which it may not be! Thanks!! Also: the purple is pretty... :love:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Could I ask, what was your impression of the flex of the Nela 80, and stability at speed? I have only read positive reports about this ski, but these have mostly come from more petite skiers like yourself (here on Ski Diva as well as Ski Talk). I am bigger (5'7", about 155lb, advancing intermediate) so when I read about how "forgiving" and "accessible" of a ski this is for even lower intermediates in the reviews, I worry that it may be too soft. If this is even possible for a Stöckli, I mean, which it may not be! Thanks!! Also: the purple is pretty... :love:
For me, the Nela 80 did very well at pretty high speed on groomers at Alta. In general, better technique is rewarded.

I don't think of Stöckli as having "soft" skis. But at the same time, for me they are far more responsive than brands that are known for having "stiff" skis.

Sorry not to be of more help. In general, my comments are usually most relevant to petite skiers who are advanced intermediate or above.

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
I'm not very analytical about ski design. When I demo, I know what feels good and what feels like more work. I don't buy skis very often because I don't like shopping. I rarely read ski reviews before I demo a particular model. Mostly because most formal reviewers are not my size and don't really match my terrain and skiing style preferences. However, I enjoy demo'ing because I always learn something useful. It's also helpful if there are situations when I need to rent skis.

I focused on Blizzard and Head because I hadn't demo'd those brands for a while. I learned a while ago that I generally like any Blizzard or Head skis. Since Stöckli was there and I really like my Stormrider 85 skis, I wanted to check out more Stöckli skis for future reference.

If you have questions about these skis, please ask. Remember I'm petite, can ski groomers pretty fast these days, and am comfortable in bumps in a variety of conditions.

FUN
Blizzard BP82 @159, 120-82-104, R 12.5 - groomers before 11:00am
Blizzard BP97 @159 , 135-97-117, R 14.0 - groomers before 11:00am
Head Absolut Joy @158, 131-79-109, R 12.2 - fun in general, about 11:30am

NOT REALLY FUN
Head SuperJoy 129-75-108, R 11.3 - decent carver but more work than Laser MX
This surely must be the record for most demos in one day! And the most systematic study!!! Very informative. Bravo!!! Or do Divas say Brava?!!’

marzNC

Angel Diva
This surely must be the record for most demos in one day! And the most systematic study!!! Very informative. Bravo!!! Or do Divas say Brava?!!’
Helped that I focused on brands that didn't have much of a line to get onto a pair of skis. Nordica and Fischer had the longest lines in the afternoon. Since I'm not really looking for skis to buy any time soon, it didn't really matter so I picked a tent that wasn't busy.

Stöckli was the only brand I knew I wanted to check out.

Tryin2Ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love reading demo reports, especially if I am interested in a ski that is demo'ed! Thank you for your write up. :smile: Could I ask, what was your impression of the flex of the Nela 80, and stability at speed? I have only read positive reports about this ski, but these have mostly come from more petite skiers like yourself (here on Ski Diva as well as Ski Talk). I am bigger (5'7", about 155lb, advancing intermediate) so when I read about how "forgiving" and "accessible" of a ski this is for even lower intermediates in the reviews, I worry that it may be too soft. If this is even possible for a Stöckli, I mean, which it may not be! Thanks!! Also: the purple is pretty... :love:
I am 5'8" and 155lb and I just bought the Nela 80. I was able to take them out twice before the season ended in Virginia/West Virginia. They are extremely stable and give you confidence and very smooth. I definitely didn't think they were too soft. I enjoyed them on the bumps and the groomers. There was no new snow to try them out in. Can't wait to ski with them next year.

sevensaes

Certified Ski Diva
I am 5'8" and 155lb and I just bought the Nela 80. I was able to take them out twice before the season ended in Virginia/West Virginia. They are extremely stable and give you confidence and very smooth. I definitely didn't think they were too soft. I enjoyed them on the bumps and the groomers. There was no new snow to try them out in. Can't wait to ski with them next year.
Congratulations on your new skis! And thank you so much for the info! That is super helpful. :smile: The only Stöckli's that I've skied up till now were the Stormrider 85 Motions and they gave me that exact same sense of being so stable, smooth and confidence building, without feeling heavy or planky. I haven't felt quite that same feeling with any other brand of skis, which is why I'm eyeing the Nelas for next season. Really appreciate the feedback!

EasternSkiBum

Certified Ski Diva
I need to demo so bad..... I have a 1 ski quiver at the moment. I will get my chance next week at Big Sky during the big PSIA event. I hope Stockli is there I want a compliment to my AX. My short list is Nela, Head Kore, a Blizzard, a Nordica, and of course Volkl. I've skied both Stockli and Volkl for years. I don't know who will be there. I'll try and post some when I get back.

Amie H

Angel Diva
Interesting and thorough report!

I demoed the Total Joys in 2019 at Whitefish and I knew ahead of time that my weight range wasn't really suited to them and it was noticeable. I felt like I was driving a truck with too much payload in the cab! :bounce:

My next ski purchase will be a smidge longer than my current pairs. I plan to demo something maybe mid-next season if I feel my fitness and skills advance enough to justify moving to a longer ski with some different features than what I ride currently.

Volyund

Diva in Training
What length did you get? What's your ability lvl? I'm 5'7" and 150lb, advanced intermediate, and considering getting Stockli.

Tryin2Ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What length did you get? What's your ability lvl? I'm 5'7" and 150lb, advanced intermediate, and considering getting Stockli.
I got 165. Ability level adv int/low advance. All of my skis are in the 160s. Works well for me. I think you will like them. Very smoooooth.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The Alta Earth Day event included a couple of demo tents. DPS was there again. I did a quick run on the Pagoda Piste 94 C2 (purple) @165, 127/94/108, Turn Radius 18m, which was fun for me as expected. I also checked out the Pagoda 90 Piste RP (light yellow) @165, 117/90/104, Turn Radius 15m. That seemed too long. The Pagoda 90 Piste RP also comes in 157cm and 152cm.

Even though moving away from models geared towards women and towards unisex models with the Pagoda line is supposed to make it less confusing, still need to distinguish between Pagoda C2 and Pagoda RP. Some of the Pagoda models come in two colors.

WNDR aka Wonder Alpine was there but the shortest skis they brought were about 170cm. WNDR mostly had touring bindings mounted but also brought a few pairs with alpine bindings. I first saw WNDR skis that are made of Algal, as in algea at the new EVO store in SLC.

July 2021
" . . .
In the Reason 120 — and WNDR's two narrower ski models — the algae-derived polyurethane is present as high-density stringers laminated into a wood core to provide rigidity and vibration damping. The Reason also has an algae-based sidewall, and a bio-based resin called Super Sap.
. . ."

marzNC

Angel Diva
Here are a couple articles about WNDR and AlgalTech(TM). Idea is to come up with skis made of a material unrelated to petrochemicals.

March 2020

August 2021

Scribble

Angel Diva
I really, really liked the WNDR Intention 110 and have had them in and out of my shopping cart on a daily basis since the demo day.

After struggling in the deeper snow today, I pulled the trigger on the reverse camber model in 171. My sort-of-but-not-really impulse buy has sent me down a rabbit hole researching touring stuff so I can better justify owning them. LOL!

chasinghorizons

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I really, really liked the WNDR Intention 110 and have had them in and out of my shopping cart on a daily basis since the demo day.

After struggling in the deeper snow today, I pulled the trigger on the reverse camber model in 171. My sort-of-but-not-really impulse buy has sent me down a rabbit hole researching touring stuff so I can better justify owning them. LOL!
The Intention 110 is a really, really gorgeous, well-made ski. I was admiring them in a shop recently and really struggling to talk myself out of them. Do you happen to know how they handle in tracked out resort snow? Compared to say Moment Bellas or Liberty Genesis 106? It's confusing bc they're marketed more towards backcountry, but reviews all praise suspension in crud and say it's comparable to inbounds-oriented skis...

Scribble

Angel Diva
I haven't tried the others you mention and had been planning to buy from a local company for this particular niche.
I had them in semi-frozen slush bumps and they were a ton of fun, but there wasn't anything resembling powdery crud that day so I'll have to get back to you! They were grippy enough to be enjoyable on groomed spring hardpack. They're lightweight but not carbon-y or pingy at all - they muted vibrations and didn't overreact or deflect in weird ways when I hit lumpy frozen spots. Not to wax poetic, but I felt connected to the snow, like I could close my eyes and still know what was going on. In contrast, the DPS Pagoda 112 and 100 were just as easy and intuitive to turn, but I felt like I was on a platform. I didn't enjoy them on a stormy day when I couldn't see the bumps in front of me.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna