• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ah-choo!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
You know what stinks? A cold during ski season. Actually, any sort of sickness, but I single out colds because I have one right now (Day #3). I can't breathe, I'm achy and tired, I can't sleep, wah wah moan moan.

Nothing is more boring than other people complaining. But I had to vent. (I haven't had a cold in literally years!) Maybe it'll help me feel better :rolleyes:? Right.

Anyway, I'm open to home remedies. Right now I'm sucking on a Zicam ("actually shortens colds!"); I've tried encinecea in the past (I know I'm spelling that wrong) to no avail. And there's the old standbys: vitamin C, hot tea & honey, chicken soup. Or I could just wait it out while drinking plenty of fluids and resting.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Jilly

Staff member
We have a wonderfull product called Cold-FX, here in Canada. All natural and made in Calgary. Works great. Endorsed by the NHL even. Start taking it when you feel the symptons, and it can/might be gone in no time. Also I've found that getting the flu shot seems to help with the colds!?!

sleddog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Try eating fresh pineapple as soon as you feel sneezy or have a mild sore throat. I've not had a cold in several years and I attribute it to eating pineapple. The Univ. of Wisconsin Medical School has done a study on the effects of pineapple and has found it to reduce or eliminate cold symptoms if eaten before you're really ill. There is no benefit in eating canned or dried pineapple though.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
That's a new one on me! I love pineapple, too, so how could I go wrong?

Lisamarie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Zicam nose spray, along with Cold Ease (zinc glutenate) and vitamin C is my regular cold routine. Also, completely eliminate dairy products until you are totally better.

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ski diva, how do you feel about tea? Drinking really strong herbal mint tea (Revolution makes a good one, Tazo makes one that's better for people who don't like it so strong) really helped soothe my lungs, throat and clear my head.

I'm the type who pretty much never gets sick, but the most stressful two months ever (one thing after another nonstop!) led to me getting walking pneumonia, bronchitis and whooping cough (who gets that anymore :rolleyes: ) at the same time. I'm mostly done with it, but the pneumonia's not quite done with me yet. I'm still getting out there, cuz I feel like activity helps me get better, but it took a long time before I could start, and I have to take extra precautions for staying warm and hydrated and cut days short.

Being sick during ski season sucks! Rest up, keep taking in plenty of fluids and vitamins, make sure you get fresh air but stay warm. And let us know how the pineapple thing works for you :smile:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
These are all great remedies to try! Thanks so much.

I'm actually going to try to ski tomorrow, provided I can breathe. We'll see.

Sounds like you've had a rough time, num, but glad to hear you're getting better.

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks, good luck skiing tomorrow! If you're well enough to do it, I'm sure it'll help you feel better :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga