• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Achilles rupture- recovery and return to skiing

FayGoneAstray

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Completely tore my Achilles a couple of weeks ago. Doctor and physio said absolutely no skiing this upcoming season. I’m going non-op for my recovery. It’s an incredibly long and slow recovery for this injury.

Has anyone here had this injury? How was your return to skiing?
It’s going to be a long dark winter for me.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I am so sorry. Achilles rupture is a ###### recovery, which you know already, but I just send you my deepest sympathies.

Husband has ruptured both at different times. He has had both surgical (first) and non-surgical (second) approaches. You will not ski this winter, I’m so sorry. He is a cautious skier returning, he basically re-learned, because his aggression level when it comes to physical stuff was tempered.

All the PT is important. You’ll develop quirks as you rehab the Achilles, so make sure you address those before next winter. I.e., hip flexibility, asymmetry in the gait, etc. FWIW, his recovery from the non-surgical was WAY better than the surgical. The lower scar tissue created far fewer issues.

FayGoneAstray

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am so sorry. Achilles rupture is a ###### recovery, which you know already, but I just send you my deepest sympathies.

Husband has ruptured both at different times. He has had both surgical (first) and non-surgical (second) approaches. You will not ski this winter, I’m so sorry. He is a cautious skier returning, he basically re-learned, because his aggression level when it comes to physical stuff was tempered.

All the PT is important. You’ll develop quirks as you rehab the Achilles, so make sure you address those before next winter. I.e., hip flexibility, asymmetry in the gait, etc. FWIW, his recovery from the non-surgical was WAY better than the surgical. The lower scar tissue created far fewer issues.
Thank you! I'm glad I went non-op which is recommended protocol here. I'm going into week 4 and already started pt so I'm hoping to continue that as long as it takes. It's a brutal injury to recovery from. I'm trying to stay positive and saying I'll come back stronger and work out all my body quirks with so much pt!

Jenny

Angel Diva
Good luck with everything. Achilles rupture is one of those things that just gives me the shivers to think about. Not sure why that more than other body parts - probably a leftover thing from when I was younger. Had a coach at sports camp that was in a wheelchair for months after his. And I think that was standard back then, too.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh no I am so sorry to hear this, I have absolutlely no experience of this injury but it sounds painful !!!
Wishing you all the best xx

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ahhh, so sorry to hear, all the best with the recovery! I've certainly heard that it's an injury with a long recovery time, the mountains will still be there waiting for you next winter (2023/24) though :love:

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
@FayGoneAstray … hope you’re healing well. Are you weight bearing yet?

I’m thinking of you. It’s a long road, but you can definitely traverse it.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
hi @FayGoneAstray I was thinking about you as my neighbor had torn his Achilles 'jump roping' and he also had a non surgical recovery. It did take time but the outcome was great. I wanted to just share that while he was in a boot for so long he determined that it was necessary to keep his legs the same height -- he made a 'franken shoe' by taking the soles off of some other tennis shoes and glueing them on to a shoe so that it matched the thickness of his walking boot. I see that you can get things like this - not surer this was something you knew about? https://www.amazon.com/Original-EVENupTM-Shoe-Balancer-Leveler/dp/B074DM5K3R#customerReviews
Hoping time passes quickly on your healing journey.....

FayGoneAstray

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
hi @FayGoneAstray I was thinking about you as my neighbor had torn his Achilles 'jump roping' and he also had a non surgical recovery. It did take time but the outcome was great. I wanted to just share that while he was in a boot for so long he determined that it was necessary to keep his legs the same height -- he made a 'franken shoe' by taking the soles off of some other tennis shoes and glueing them on to a shoe so that it matched the thickness of his walking boot. I see that you can get things like this - not surer this was something you knew about? https://www.amazon.com/Original-EVENupTM-Shoe-Balancer-Leveler/dp/B074DM5K3R#customerReviews
Hoping time passes quickly on your healing journey.....
That is a super cool device! Thank you. I have only a few more weeks in my boot...then the real work/rehab will begin. Gives me hope the outcome will be good for me too! Thank you for that!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga