• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

A talk undelivered: Skiing with Confidence

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Some of you may know that I was asked to give a talk at the Women's Exhibit at the Boston Ski & Snowboard Expo this past weekend. Well, it never happened. Not that I wasn't prepared -- I was -- but there were (ahem) issues. For one, the booth was really unsuitable for any sort of presentation. It was right out on the convention floor, so it was waaaay too noisy -- there was even a DJ blaring music next door. Plus there wasn't anyplace for anyone to sit or stand to hear anything. AND I had a horrible cold, so I could barely talk. Really, it's better it worked out this way, rather than proceed and have it be a complete disaster.

Anyway, I did prepare to speak, and since some of you expressed interest, this morning I posted a transcript on my blog. Presenting Skiing with Confidence. Enjoy.

Last edited:

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It would have been good, Wendy, if they’ve made it even possible for you to deliver it! I’ve never understood the need to have some blaring loud music at any of the events I attend. But that is maybe just that I am too 0LD to appreciate blaring music anymore!

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just one row back from the Her Turn booth was a set up with a mini dry slope, rails, a radio station. The other side of the hall was much quieter.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
Great talk, just a shame you couldn't really give it given the setup.

My confidence has gotten better as my skills have improved. If a trail looks too steep when I get to it and think that I won't be able to get down it, I remind myself that I have the skills, I don't need to do it fast like those I may be with, and to take my time and I'll get to the bottom. Knowing there's always the side slip technique if it's starting to look dicey is always a great help too.

I also like your point about skiing what makes you smile. While I do like the mid-Atlantic black runs for a challenge, I don't really enjoy them as much as my husband and brother. I've at times let them run off to the blacks while I have fun cruising the blues and work on my form. We meet up at one of the lifts and everyone's happy!

knolan12

Angel Diva
I loved this! Confidence is probably my biggest hindrance so I love the fist exercise.

Also, that part of the convention was SO LOUD. We chatted for a minute someone at the women's section, but I could barely hear her :(

Tvan

Angel Diva
Thanks for sharing! Great topic and well written!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What a great write-up!! I've been feeling WAY more content and confident with life lately, and am realizing that for the first time in quite awhile (maybe ever, really!) I am feeling confident going into ski season and about my first day on snow vs. nervous. My mindset during the divorce and even last year, when I was so in fear of what was going to happen to me in my life REALLY bled over into skiing.

I'll get a lot fewer days on snow this season thanks to a job, but I have a feeling I'll have more QUALITY days, and that is a beautiful thing!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Anyway, I did prepare to speak, and since some of you expressed interest, this morning I posted a transcript on my blog. Presenting Skiing with Confidence. Enjoy.
Absolutely wonderful talk! Glad you made it available. Should be read at the beginning of every season.

I hope some ski organization takes you up on the offer to do it as a live presentation. I have no doubt the interaction afterwards with the audience would be great.

newboots

Angel Diva
Confidence is especially important in skiing, I discovered last year. When you take the leap of faith to really get forward going down a steep (or, steep-for-me) trail, you learn the secret. It really does give you more control. All that leaning back into the mountain, because the hill was scary, just scared you, feeling out of control.

I’m working on the confidence to get that going early this year!

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lovely article that touches on so many different aspects of confidence.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna