• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

A new way to get on the lift

OuiSkiToo

Certified Ski Diva
Yes - it is awkward. I was on one in Switzerland a few times and just remember having a tough time keeping my feet from wanting to move!

Brooklyn Skier

Certified Ski Diva
Mechanized loading and unloading carpets

This would be good at the top of Killington's Superstar Express Quad. I was up last weekend and this lift was closed on Sat. On Sun I waited on a line in which when I got towards the front, the workers said everyone now had to split up into 3s instead of 4s because of weight restrictions!? The lift was very slow that day and I got to the top with wind pushing hard in the opposite direction of how you normally get off. It was also very flat which didn't help. Well before I knew it I was off the lift but couldn't more forward fast enough to have the lift of people behind me have the same problem which let to all of us knocking over like dominos all while people are yelling at the boy in the booth to stop the lift. By the time the 3rd chair of people fell on top of me and the carnage a person no longer on skiis walked up to the window and banged on it. When the boy came out we all yelled at him. I think he had headphones on and was in his own little world.:mad2: At the bottom people were still complaining about it. I went up again and saw they had 2 staff now assisting everyone off the lifts and a 3rd standing in front to help pull people forward. It was windy and maybe a machanized unloading carpet would be useful up there and on other mnts where it is flat and bald at the top...esp in windy wintry conditions.

Looking back on that situation I can laugh hard for as long as I've been skiing that that moment, well, I got owned by the chair lift. :D:D:laugh::ROTF:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
GREAT description! :laugh: Hope everyone was okay! Sounds like a segment in an old Warren Miller movie :D I'm wondering if there will be similar pile-ups this weekend at Sunday River (Maine), which grandly opens its 6-pack/gondola combo a/k/a "chondola." Sure hope they have a sign at the bottom telling beginners "no super-easy way down!" Otherwise....:rolleyes:

I skied this lift at Okemo on Tuesday. Very wierd. Fine for me, but I think very unnerving and scary for a beginner, especially getting off the lift. Time will tell I guess...

WildKitten

Certified Ski Diva
We were forced to use the magic carpet Mon at Okemo as they had the other beginner lift closed. I didn't care for it when I was getting off. I felt very off balance and whobbly when I stood up. I guess that it's something I'd get used to if I had to. That afternoon I was in Shon's boot shop in Ludlow and the topic came up. I wasn't the only skier that day not enthralled about it. Hopefully when we return to Okemo after the holidays there will be enough snow that we can bypass the beginner lifts entirely and ski directly to the Sachem lift from our trail.

cinnabon

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This would be good at the top of Killington's Superstar Express Quad. I was up last weekend and this lift was closed on Sat. On Sun I waited on a line in which when I got towards the front, the workers said everyone now had to split up into 3s instead of 4s because of weight restrictions!? The lift was very slow that day and I got to the top with wind pushing hard in the opposite direction of how you normally get off. It was also very flat which didn't help. Well before I knew it I was off the lift but couldn't more forward fast enough to have the lift of people behind me have the same problem which let to all of us knocking over like dominos all while people are yelling at the boy in the booth to stop the lift. By the time the 3rd chair of people fell on top of me and the carnage a person no longer on skiis walked up to the window and banged on it. When the boy came out we all yelled at him. I think he had headphones on and was in his own little world.:mad2: At the bottom people were still complaining about it. I went up again and saw they had 2 staff now assisting everyone off the lifts and a 3rd standing in front to help pull people forward. It was windy and maybe a machanized unloading carpet would be useful up there and on other mnts where it is flat and bald at the top...esp in windy wintry conditions.

Looking back on that situation I can laugh hard for as long as I've been skiing that that moment, well, I got owned by the chair lift. :D:D:laugh::ROTF:
The only do the weight restrictions when it's super windy, and yes that lift gets that headwind where you need to push yourself forward with your poles when you unload. You're lucky they didn't just close it, like they often do. It's such a hassle getting to that side of the mountain (Skye Peak) when SS is closed.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna