• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

A new ski resort in Salt Lake City?

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I heard about this the other day on the news. It would be pretty sweet if Kennecott decided to open up a ski area on the west side of the city. A small local (hopefully cheaper) hill is something that we lack here.

https://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695215483,00.html

Ski resort eyed for Oquirrh Mountains
Associated Press

Published: October 3, 2007
Kennecott Land is considering a ski resort in the Oquirrh Mountains on the west side of Salt Lake County.
"It's certainly skiable terrain, and a lot of it," said Jim Schulte, vice president of long-range planning at Kennecott Land, an arm of Kennecott Utah Copper.

Salt Lake County leaders joined Schulte at the site of the proposed resort Tuesday, 18 miles from Salt Lake City International Airport. The north-facing peaks had fresh patches of snow.

From a base elevation of 6,200 feet, the Oquirrh resort would rise to 9,350 feet.

Schulte said snow measurements, a factor in building any ski resort, appear "pretty attractive." He offered no timetable for the project.

"They could easily do it," said Nathan Rafferty, president and chief executive officer of Ski Utah, a marketing association representing Utah's ski-and-snowboard industry.

"I don't know that it's the kind of resort that would compete with the Snowbirds, Altas and Deer Valleys of the world, but it would be something that would benefit Salt Lake," Rafferty said.

Kennecott has extensive land holdings near its Utah copper mine, the largest open-pit copper mine in the world.

altagirl

Staff member
I heard about this the other day on the news. It would be pretty sweet if Kennecott decided to open up a ski area on the west side of the city. A small local (hopefully cheaper) hill is something that we lack here.

https://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695215483,00.html

Yeah - I'd love it if they actually did it. But I've heard them say they're going to do it for years. I hope it's actually more than an idea one of these days!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna