• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

A little summer stoke - the Pfeifferhorn

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Last weekend, after contemplating ways to get out of the stifling heat, my husband and I thought we'd tick off one of our favorite local summits in the Wasatch - the Pfeifferhorn. The Pfeiff is a very prominent peak in Little Cottonwood Canyon that overlooks some of our favorite ski touring areas.

Pfeiff from Maybird Gulch (not my picture!)
Maybird02s.jpg

The approach hike is also one of my favorites, passing lower and upper Red Pine Lakes.

Upper Red Pine Lake
3ca6c3923397f49adde1e9e994b40f86.jpg

Me on the ridge above Lower Red Pine Lake
d9367ae744bdaf87bafa3e769655e985.jpg

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Once you gain the ridge above Upper Red Pine Lake, the view is unreal. You can see all the way from the tram at Snowbird to the SLC valley down below. Mt Timpanogas in Utah Valley to the South is huge and impressive and the views of the south-facing ridge of Little Cottonwood Canyon are intimidating. Those of you that are Snowbird regulars may have seen this peak to the west from the top of the tram.

Mt Timpanogas. The snowfield near the south summit (center of picture) is a popular early season ski tour.
208d88d7a3159222a887fc8313af4b0c.jpg

Looking towards the LCC ridgeline.
9414efe041d0732ef19667e337756d2d.jpg

My favorite part of the hike is the knife-edge ridge heading up to the summit pyramid. It's pretty much a 3rd class scramble over and around huge granite boulders with a 200-ft drop on either side. It's not as scary as it looks, but it gets the blood pumping.

d96fb98207bceefc6c254444758588df.jpg

edf926f0436d202efffaf97a6ab3e68f.jpg

The summit was great - a nice cool breeze at 10,000 ft helped keep it nice and cool up there while we looked at the city below baking in the 100 degree heat.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, terrific pix! Looks like a great hike. Pretty cool to see the snow up there.

Wish I was there now instead of sweltering in this 90+ heat.

Ski Spirit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Tradygirl---Fantastic pictures. Thanks for posting them and allowing us to vicariously enjoy........

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow, that is beautiful!
Thanks for sharing.
Inspirational!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga