• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: A good ski for a 4 yo girl?

wahineskisk2

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I want to buy my granddaughter a pair of skis for her birthday, that she can use next season. Does anyone have recommendations? Also, has anyone heard about the "grow-with" style bindings and boots?
Thanks!

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have heard about them but not too sure specifics. As for boots, I would not purchase them until closer to next season as kid's feet can grow incredibly in six months. I'd hate to see you buy some and they be too small.

Pretty much any ski will be fine for a child of that age. I'm just now starting to get picky with my kid's skis and they're 6 and 9. They had cheap Rossis from REI (I think about $59 each pair) for 3 years and my oldest is a phenominal skier. :D The length is the most important part. For kids, shorter is better if she's still kind of a starter. NO longer than chin length and sometimes nipple height is sufficient. My kids are starting to handle longer lengths now but they've been skiing for 2 complete seasons for the younger one and almost 7 complete seasons for the 9-year-old.

Check into a program at a local ski shop. We have ones around here that offer a grow program. You buy the first set, let's say they're $250 (kind of pricey). You return them in June, get a voucher for $250, and in NOvember you get a new pair of skis fitted for them. If they're under $250 you owe NO money. If they're $260 you owe $10. :drool: My gf does this and it works well. We don't do it as we hand skis down, resell, etc. There are 5 little kids in our "family". :D

Good luck. Hope you can find her something fun! :D

Jilly

Staff member
Another similar program is 1/2 back. Bring in your used skis, purchased from the same shop, within 2 years and he'll give you 1/2 back on new. Boots too. Check for that program too.

I haven't seen the grow boots in ski boots. I have seen it on inline skates. And I agree with marge, get them next fall. Give her a picture till then.

As for actual ski, is she a girly-girl, anything pink will do!! Little bit of a tomboy - red with flames?? All kids skis that length are pretty much the same - foam core so they are lite. Cosmetics are the big thing. They'll say Race and/or look like the big boys skis, or could be pink and say "Fun Girl" (Rossi)

Actually don't even worry about the money. You'll get it back at any swap for that length of ski. Most at our local swap don't make it in the door. They get sold in the parking lot!

Mom of Redheads

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Also, has anyone heard about the "grow-with" style bindings and boots?
Thanks!

I spent lots of time looking at manufacturer websites for any boot even mentioned to me and DH when we were looking - seem to remember Full Tilt boots had a kids' boot that were meant to last at least 3 sizes...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga