• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

14er's

Gina23

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Climbed my first TWO 14er's last weekend.

Gray's and Torrey's Peaks on the Colorado Continental Divide. Amazing...

Anyone else climbed 14er's or above? :clap:

Gina

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Awesome, Gina!

I was supposed to climb at least one a few summers ago, but I didn't take enough time to acclimate before heading up and started vomiting up my guts at 12,000'. Fun, fun. The Aspen ER is a great place in the off-season, though.

I climbed Bierstadt a few years ago. LOVED IT!

I accidentally drove up the back of Democrat.....just in time to meet up with some hikers that kept asking, "How did you get that Jeep up here....and can we have a ride down?" :doh:

14'ers are a little tougher now for me. Less oxygen up there can trigger some of my seizures. I'm still gonna try it again, though!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yay peakbagging! I am in the throws of planning to bag all 46 4000ers in the Adirondacks in a 2-week span next fall. Need to do some scouting.....

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Yay peakbagging! I am in the throws of planning to bag all 46 4000ers in the Adirondacks in a 2-week span next fall. Need to do some scouting.....

That's three a day, plus the driving it takes to get from one to another. Yikes.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
The highest I've been is 13k on top of peak 8 at Breck. That was on our 3rd day of being up there, I think, and the short hike (150ft?) from the chair to the peak felt sooooo loooooong. How do you acclimate to hike something like the 14ers? I gues living at 5k probably helps as little, but still.

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nice work Gina!

I'd love to do some 14er's someday. I'd actually like to ski a couple of those bad boys too!

I'm guessing for acclimation, you would just spend as much time as possible up above 10,000ft while training. I know that by the end of the winter in SLC my high altitude performance is way better than it is at the beginning, just from spending all of my weekends in the mountains at 9,000+.

Gina23

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well even living at 5k feet and climbing those wasn't easy by any stretch. I think the fact that i walk 10+ miles a week and run 15+ miles a week at 5k feet probably helps a lot. But, even with that being said, it was still one of the hardest things I've physically ever encountered in my life (also saying this after a liftetime of athletics including an NCAA career and competing against Olympians). It's amazing what goes through your mind when you're pushing that hard - I can do it, no I can't, yes I can, no I can't. Once you're finally near the top each step is like leg pressing 150 lbs. I pretty much cried when I got to the top of Torrey's... just because of the accomplishment and because it's one of the most beautiful sights I've ever seen. The emotion kind of overwhelms you. It's why I live here. :love:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga