• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

08 Elan Speed Magic

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I thought there was a review of the Elan Speed Magic that I would add to, but I can't find it so here goes.........
LE042.jpg

As I posted in another thread, I made a few impulse buys this fall and ended up with a little overlap in my quiver.
One area of overlap is the Nordica Olympia Fire Fox and the Elan Speed Magic.

I really didn't want to like the Speed magic after skiing the FireFox because I wanted to feel happy about selling the Speed Magic. No Can Do!! This ski Rocks!!!

I skied at my usual Crystal Mountain today, starting on the Nordica FireFox. The groomers were cruisey and fast, so a nice carver was in order. After 8 runs on the FF I was ready to give the Speed Magic a shot.
The difference in dimensions is very minimal between these two skis, but the dymanics of their construction is vastly different. More description below

Skier type:
Advanced, solid Level 7.
Female, 5'6" 120 lbs.
Manufacturer: Elan
Model: Speed Magic
Length : 160
Category & Dimensions CARV 116/70/105

1=Poor 2= Fair 3=Average 4=Very Good 5=Excellent
1 2 3 4 5
Short Turns 5
Medium Turns 5
Long Turns 5
Rebound 4
Stability 5
Forgiveness 5
Grip 4
Steeps 5
Crud 5
Powder N/A
Ice 4
Overall Impression
The Speed Magic (SM) took over where the FireFox(FF) left off. It turns quick, blasts the ice marbles and stays stable when the conditions are sketchy.
The dimensions of the FF and SM (as noted above) are similar but the SM has a thicker sidewall and has the wave technology that elan offers which lends to rigid performance without losing the torsional flexibility. This ski lends to confidence, and performance with the added bonus of being able to relax when you get a bit fatigued. Though the SM has a speed limit, it is a nice mix of a ski that likes to be driven but allows you to set it on cruise control when the moment rises.

The conditions I skied:
Man made packed powder, with occasional ice marbles to contend with. By afternoon it had snowed enough that the conditions softened to 2ish inches of powder and sweet creamy conditions.

SM: 116/70/105 turn Radius 11.9@ 160cm
FF:Sidecut:120/70/103 Turn Radius: 13m @ 162cm
The sidewall of the SM appears to be 2mm thicker than the FF, at the waist(though I didn't measure it with a mic).

I know the site and literature says the SM is only offered in 152cm, 158cm, 166cm, but Mine is indeed a 160, so maybe I'm special. :noidea:

Elangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Snowhot,

I still love my Speed Magics---I am using them for teaching this year. But, I am so happy with the Mag Spice too---I have skied it three days now and I think I am going to love it too.

jaydog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I will second (third?) all the rave reviews of the Speed Magic. I demoed it at the end of last winter, on groomers, and loved it. I'm not enough of an expert to discuss the finer points of ski construction and performance, but I can say this: I was transitioning from intermediate to advanced skiier at the time, and never before had I been able to charge full-blast down an advanced run like I did with the SMs.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga