• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Best small suv for winter driving

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My modified name for my Tiggy is Black Magic the "Notorious TIG"... Having a black car is a challenge when I"m used to having a bright orange one (my crosstrek). Might trade Notorious in for a Kings red SEL R line just to give me a chance to find her in the parking lot.

Peppermint

Angel Diva
I'm following this thread closely. Our daughters 2015 Nissan Rogue just died due to a blown head gasket caused by a bad thermostat. We are looking for a small SUV priced under 15k. Buying used can be great, but I also don't want to buy someone else's problem either. Wish us luck:smile:
So an update. We ended up buying a 2017 Subaru Outback with 100k miles for 13k. My daughter absolutely loves it and says she likes it more than the Rogue, which is really saying something. She likes how smooth the ride is and said it is very comfortable. The price sounded high to me but my husband did all the research and said it was actually a pretty good deal. Here's hoping it's good for another 100k miles!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
If anyone is interested in Subaru longevity, I bought a 1997 Subaru Legacy Outback new (Outback was considered a trim line then), drove it 113k until 2011, when I replaced it with a Subaru Forester (both with stick shift). Sold the Outback to my son, he drove it for several years then sold it to a friend, who drove it until 2021, 221k miles - engine, etc., still fine, frame shot. (Hope it got parted out!) Forester, age 13, 144k miles, replaced clutch at 110k, still going. Our cars have studded snow tires mounted on steel wheels for winter. Easier swap.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
So an update. We ended up buying a 2017 Subaru Outback with 100k miles for 13k. My daughter absolutely loves it and says she likes it more than the Rogue, which is really saying something. She likes how smooth the ride is and said it is very comfortable. The price sounded high to me but my husband did all the research and said it was actually a pretty good deal. Here's hoping it's good for another 100k miles!
My 2015 Outback has around 150K on it and is still going strong -- great in the snow.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I probably should get a Subaru but leaning towards german cars........I do hear that the Subarus have head gasket issues though...

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I probably should get a Subaru but leaning towards german cars........I do hear that the Subarus have head gasket issues though...
Hmm, I haven't heard that, and I've spoken to several Subaru owners....

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Hmm, I haven't heard that, and I've spoken to several Subaru owners....
BF loves Subarus and his head gasket blew. But I'm sure they are great cars and have fewer mechanical issues (and cheaper) than what I'm considering. It's just every other car in SC is a Subaru.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
I drive a 2019 Outback and hubs drives a 2022 Ascent. We would have gotten the CX9 but it didn't have the towing capacity of the Ascent. We eventually want to tow a small camping trailer and the higher towing capacity gives us more options. I previously drove a Legacy. My husband's last car was a CX5 and before that a Subaru Baja. So yeah, we love subies. They just handle so well in snow and in back roads. If we went higher end we'd go with a Volvo. Only thing I don't like on the newer Outbacks and Ascents is the move to large infotainment screens and fewer knobs. They don't work great with polarized lenses.

Soujan

Angel Diva
I had a 2009 Outback that I purchased used in 2012 with less than 20k miles on it. The cracked and head gasket needed to be replaced. Luckily, it was still under warranty.

Seaglass Skier

Certified Ski Diva
I also got the outback for snow adventures and am loving it. Great you found a good deal!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Today is New Car Day! Just picked up a brand new Toyota Rav 4 XLE Hybrid, and I'm so excited! It's a big change for me, since I've been driving Subarus forever (I hope they'll still let me live in Vermont, since that's pretty much the default state car). I'm really happy with my selection. And yes, I still have my SKIDIVA license plate!

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 6.55.23 PM.png

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oooooh!!! Me too!!! Just picked up my 2024 Volkswagen Tiguan AWD. I've had it for about 10 days and LOVE it!!! My 2009 Dodge Journey gave up the ghost at 303,000 miles. :( Still have to get a roof rack. My son was thrilled because it matches the rocket box. LMAO

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oooooh!!! Me too!!! Just picked up my 2024 Volkswagen Tiguan AWD. I've had it for about 10 days and LOVE it!!! My 2009 Dodge Journey gave up the ghost at 303,000 miles. :( Still have to get a roof rack. My son was thrilled because it matches the rocket box. LMAO

@ski diva VERY NICE. Congrats. The new Rav 4s are nice.

@marge I have a '23 SEL R line tiguan that i picked up last August. I traded in my Subaru for it. I loved my Subie but I love Notorious T.I.G. more and I didn't think that was possible.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Today is New Car Day! Just picked up a brand new Toyota Rav 4 XLE Hybrid, and I'm so excited! It's a big change for me, since I've been driving Subarus forever (I hope they'll still let me live in Vermont, since that's pretty much the default state car). I'm really happy with my selection. And yes, I still have my SKIDIVA license plate!

View attachment 23162
Now we can hear you coming in your car that sounds like a space ship! I always laugh when I hear one nearby, it still makes me turn my head to look!

TheGreenOne

Angel Diva
My comment likely won't help anyone, but I love my Toyota Matrix 2010 S AWD model. The one thing that'd make it perfect is higher ground clearance, which... I guess I could get it lifted, but don't want to risk anything going wrong.

It's corolla frame with a hatch, so overall a small car, but has incredible cargo space, and because the front passenger seat folds down, it has a potential to be a car camper.

Matrix/Vibe has a bit of cult following (Pontiac had it in their lineup as well under Vibe).They got taken off the US market after 2 generations, which I think was over the span of 8 years. Toyota has a corolla hatch now, but no AWD model, which is a shame.

Other than the matrix, I'm quiet partial to the Suburu Crosstrek and Mazda CX30 for my next car. It'll be years before I need to switch, the matrix still hasn't hit 100K so she's still got lots of miles in her.

teppaz

Angel Diva
By many accounts Pontiac's Vibe was a good car. I still don't understand why it was pulled out so fast.

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm loving my Tiguan SEL R Line but I do always have a bit of a roving eye for my "next" vehicle whenever that is. I've always had an eye for Audi. Was sure it was going to be a Q3 or 5.. that is until I saw the Audi A4 Allroad. It's this lovely wagon. I've heard it rides like dream likely as it's on the A4 platform. The color I saqw was this lovely burgundy which of course they don't make any longer. I won't be looking for another 3 or 4 years so maybe it'll come back lol

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I'm loving my Tiguan SEL R Line but I do always have a bit of a roving eye for my "next" vehicle whenever that is. I've always had an eye for Audi. Was sure it was going to be a Q3 or 5.. that is until I saw the Audi A4 Allroad. It's this lovely wagon. I've heard it rides like dream likely as it's on the A4 platform. The color I saqw was this lovely burgundy which of course they don't make any longer. I won't be looking for another 3 or 4 years so maybe it'll come back lol
I looked at the Allroad but happy w my purchase

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga