• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Carving skis for petite woman, aggressive skier

mlb

Diva in Training
Dear ski divas,
I'm hoping to get some insight and recommendations from you regarding my purchase of a carving ski.
I am an east coast skier, mostly Killington, VT. Anyone who knows the Beast, knows that hard packed, icy and crud conditions prevail a good part of the season although mother nature and generous snow making gave us an MLK weekend that was spectacular! I love the resort for everything it is but here in the east, humidity is the enemy. I digress.....
I am looking for a new carving ski because my 2012 Blizzards are worn thin.
I am 5'2", 110 lbs and an advanced, aggressive skier. I want flexibility in a ski for short and wide turns, a ski for small and iced bumps, and a ski that won't chatter at speeds or in crud. I realize that I've just defined 2+ different skis but wondered if there was a close match. I look forward to hearing from you and thank you.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Stockli Laser AX is exactly the 2-in-1 skis that you described. Read about their Turtle shell technology on how these skis can be both damp for speed and flexible for bumps.

mlb

Diva in Training
Thank you, Susan L. I'm looking for 149 - 151cm max length. The AX shortest ski is 154cm.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It sounds like you're looking for something along the lines of a tuned-down slalom ski?
I have and like the Volkl Flair SC, but wouldn't really call them the ski to do super wide turns on. They have a relatively short turn radius at the shorter lengths (mine are 155s and the turn radius is something like 12m), I've taken them on small, solid bumps and I have never felt them chatter at speed. The year I have they went down to 150cm.
The other ski that might suit you is the Salomon W Max 12 which is similar to the Flair including the short turn radius - I tried the W Max 10 a couple of years ago and really enjoyed them but these days would probably go for the model higher. I'm not sure how easy they would be to find as I think they stopped doing them after 2017-18.
I am not sure whether you would be able to demo newer offerings in this category to see if that is the sort of ski you would like, but if that is an option then of course that's usually the best way to choose your next pair!

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Laser MX comes in 152 length. Curious if @Susan L knows how it compares to the AX?
I demoed the MX last year at 65mm and this year at 67mm. I find them a bit too light and too narrow for my skiing. I am in the SW, so I rarely get ice and I get power - I can use my AX for a few inches of powder before switching to my 84mm skis. I feel the MX is strictly for perfectly groomed runs or packed bumps. And because they are so light, I find them not too damp at speed on cruds or corn (the frozen corn-looking snow that did not get packed in during grooming). Maybe I am just so used to the AX, which are already very light. The MX is feather weight to me. I did not notice any difference in skiing between the 154 and 152. I am 5’3” and 130#.

mlb

Diva in Training
To all,
great recommendations and experiences. I really appreciate your comments. It's late in the season to demo exactly what I am looking for. Hoping to get lucky with some of your recommendations.
Ski more!

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks! I also remembered another option you may like to think about - the Atomic Cloud Series (11 or 12). They have a slightly larger turn radius (so maybe more work for shorter turns and bumps) and narrower waist than my previous recommendations. I have only tried the Cloud 9 from that line which was too soft. I am pretty sure the Cloud 12 is available in the lengths you are looking at - there's a demo model in the 147cm length for sale on powder 7.

Reactions: mlb

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi! Welcome to the forum, I'm Ice Coast too, I have the Atomic Cloud 11 (now 12's same ski) they are ripping skis, seem like the ladies version of the redster. I find them to be a tad stiff in our stiff bumps and more work in bumps I'm on 165's, they love to go fast, they have no speed control on the groomers, they like to carve and not skid. I make tight turns and big GS turns. they like to be on edge they don't have a very big 'sweet spot so can be twitchy. The 9's and as #'s decrease the skis get tamer. Since you like Blizzards the Alight series are some nice carving all Mt skis with zip, big turns little turns and fun in the bumps and forgiving they are a nice East Coast ski. I demo'd the 8.2 it was fun.

Right now I'm in love with Liberty Skis, I'm on the 76W's, they are selling off their 2019 and 2020 skis so some good deals. They are a smooth ride and reward good skiing, these skis do everything you ask of them, bumps, hard pack, ice, and are very forgiving and have Zip. I'm in NY skiing Gore/Iceface. and they are a blast. Also maybe a Jr Race Ski might work?

SMichael08

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Depending on how wide a ski you're aiming for, you might consider looking at the Elan Wildcats. While I can't speak from personal experience just yet as I'm still waiting to get to the mountain, I recently ordered a pair as a happy medium step-up from my previous sub-70 waist skis, as they sounded ideal for my mostly skiing groomers, but also have variable conditions in the PNW.

The Wildcats are new this season and are the women's version of Elan's Wingman for men. The ski is supposed to be in between their piste ski and the freeride ripstick, so they're able to carve but also have a bit of pop. They've got a fairly short turn radius, especially in the sizes you're looking at. I personally went with the 86 waist as I was wanting something closer to all-mountain, but they have 82 and 76 waist as well. The 76 is probably too soft for you, but the 82 comes in either a carbon rod version or a carbon layer version, so you have some more flex options in that width, with sizes of 146 or 152. Alternatively, the Insomnia line is Elan's true groomer ski.

Last edited:

mlb

Diva in Training
Divas,
I'll be demoing the Atomic Cloud 14 in 152cm tomorrow. I'm excited to run these slippers through the firm pack and marbles currently making up the surface. I'm very curious to experience how they do in crusty bumps as they are a bit heavy. Anyone with an opinion of these, please post and I'll share my reviews later tomorrow.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna