• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

DIVA DOGS!

Jenny

Angel Diva
So this morning I was rearranging some things where foster pup’s pen had been when he was here. Sookie sat watching me and then went over to her buttons and said “friend where where”. And of course that made me start bawling like a baby all over again. :cry:

I really want to know how his first night went in his new home. Haven’t heard from the adopters yet.
Oh, my heart!

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So this morning I was rearranging some things where foster pup’s pen had been when he was here. Sookie sat watching me and then went over to her buttons and said “friend where where”. And of course that made me start bawling like a baby all over again. :cry:

I really want to know how his first night went in his new home. Haven’t heard from the adopters yet.
Oh my goodness!! So sweet!

MissySki

Angel Diva
For anyone interested, I uploaded a short reel on Sookie’s Instagram (linked below) where she was again asking today where her friend is. She has asked a bunch of times yesterday and today. I’m glad she is going for a playdate tomorrow with one of her bestie dog friends, she needs some cheering up and a distraction from Henry not being here!

SookieThePugMix_WhereFriend

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For anyone interested, I uploaded a short reel on Sookie’s Instagram (linked below) where she was again asking today where her friend is. She has asked a bunch of times yesterday and today. I’m glad she is going for a playdate tomorrow with one of her bestie dog friends, she needs some cheering up and a distraction from Henry not being here!

Thanks for sharing the Instagram- those buttons are so cool in action! I hope her playdate cheers her up!

Christy

Angel Diva

OMG. It's so awesome that you fostered and the outcome was great (not that there is anything at all wrong with foster failing). But what a tug at the heartstrings. Sookie, what a good think you did sharing your home even if it can be sad when they move on!

Christy

Angel Diva
There is such an enormous dog problem right now. So many being euthanized just for space.

You can say that again. There is such a failure of political will. Maybe because those of us that care are involved on the rescue side already and we are too busy bailing out the sinking ship to have the time or energy to spend the time needed to lobby politicians for better spay/neuter and breeding laws/regulations? I don't know. But it IS worse than ever, and even here in my progressive prosperous city so much more could be done on a legislative level, and it's not on anyone's radar. I'd love to see just a fraction of the bureaucracy involved in, say, starting and running a restaurant, applied to anyone breeding dogs.

Rashika

Certified Ski Diva
You can say that again. There is such a failure of political will. Maybe because those of us that care are involved on the rescue side already and we are too busy bailing out the sinking ship to have the time or energy to spend the time needed to lobby politicians for better spay/neuter and breeding laws/regulations? I don't know. But it IS worse than ever, and even here in my progressive prosperous city so much more could be done on a legislative level, and it's not on anyone's radar. I'd love to see just a fraction of the bureaucracy involved in, say, starting and running a restaurant, applied to anyone breeding dogs.
Soooo hear you on this!
What does it cost to get a dog neutered/spayed in usa?
There was a recent conversation on the gsd group about how expensive it is, especially with bigger dogs ( more anaesthesia needed ) and in nz is varies widely, and is probably the biggest cause of our Sadly excess dog population.
costs range here from about $400 nz up to about $1000. ( about $300 usd up)

Christy

Angel Diva
Soooo hear you on this!
What does it cost to get a dog neutered/spayed in usa?
There was a recent conversation on the gsd group about how expensive it is, especially with bigger dogs ( more anaesthesia needed ) and in nz is varies widely, and is probably the biggest cause of our Sadly excess dog population.
costs range here from about $400 nz up to about $1000. ( about $300 usd up)
Prices are similar in the US at vets. Many places have low cost spay/neuter clinics; here in Seattle you can get a S/N on a dog for less than $200 at the city animal shelter, though the service has become so popular they recently instituted an income cap to qualify. The clinic will do it for free if you can't afford anything, like when an animal control officer makes contact with a homeless person with an unaltered animal. Of course this is a big country and a lot of people are nowhere near a low cost clinic, or they can't be bothered, or they don't want the government telling them they have to S/N, etc.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
We were out of town last week, and happily Lark got to stay with her trainers (who also do just regular boarding for dogs they've trained) instead of at the kennel. These people own 3 or 4 dogs at least, are always doing board & train weeks for a few dogs, and also just have regular boarding going on. They told me that one day they had SIXTEEN DOGS at their place.

Anyways, Lark possibly had a better week than we did.

IMG_20231105_213942.jpgIMG_20231105_214000.jpgIMG_20231105_214018.jpg

Amie H

Angel Diva
Sadly, yesterday we said goodbye to our 17 year old very good girl, Shayla. She was a basset hound/Australian Shepherd mix per her DNA test, if you are wondering. She shed fur like crazy but we didn't mind cleaning up after her.

She was loved by all of our cats over the years. The cats would go up to her and rub their heads on her, cuddle with her, etc. She was a gentle soul and until recently, a very happy, jolly girl. I don't think I ever saw her angry - oh, except at bicycles! She HATED bicycles!

She joins her buddies Percy (cat) and Megan (Scottish terrier) over the Rainbow Bridge.Screenshot_20231214-235555_Instagram.jpgScreenshot_20231215-000559_Instagram.jpg20231214_235205.jpg

Last edited:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sadly, yesterday we said goodbye to our 17 year old very good girl, Shayla. She was a basset hound/Australian Shepherd mix per her DNA test, if you are wondering. She shed fur like crazy but we didn't mind cleaning up after her.

She was loved by all of our cats over the years. The cats would go up to her and rub their heads on her, cuddle with her, etc. She was a gentle soul and until recently, a very happy, jolly girl. I don't think I ever saw her angry - oh, except at bicycles! She HATED bicycles!

She joins her buddies Percy (cat) and Megan (Scottish terrier) over the Rainbow Bridge.View attachment 22038View attachment 22039View attachment 22040
Oh no Amie. So sad for you.

shadoj

Angel Diva

She joins her buddies Percy (cat) and Megan (Scottish terrier) over the Rainbow Bridge.View attachment 22038View attachment 22039View attachment 22040
Sending you my love. What a wonderful girl to have blessed your family. Reach out if you need a listening ear any time. Would love to hear more fun(ny) stories about Shayla. Hugs!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
@Amie H -- SO very sorry to read about this loss. Hard, indeed. Just lost a pet last June. Pain. And at this time of year, no less. ((hugs))

Christy

Angel Diva
On the subject of talking dogs, there's a local dog that has an Insta account and uses buttons etc etc. Her "mom" just wrote a memoir, mostly about herself but Bunny is heavily featured. Having a dog with similar issues, this description of an incident (this was in the Seattle Times, I haven't read the book) really makes me emotional.

Writing about Bunny’s reactivity was cathartic, Devine said, because she knows people can feel a lot of shame around their dog’s behavior. She did, too, at first. She couldn’t understand why Bunny would snap and lunge at strangers and why her dog couldn’t sit with her inside coffee shops like she’d imagined. But when Devine began to understand what drives behavior, she said it felt powerful to know that dog owners can affect change in their pets in noninvasive ways.

“When I learned that I could just change her environment and it would positively impact her behavior, it felt like a world opened to me that I hadn’t been able to explore prior to that moment,” she said.

In one particularly tear-jerking moment of the book, Devine recounts a rough day when a child and off-leash puppy charged at Bunny. Later at home, Bunny hit two buttons repeatedly “FEEL ALL DONE. FEEL ALL DONE.” It’s a moment to make any dog owner reading the book with a sleeping pup at their side pause and consider their own relationship with their dog and how they connect.

1705010518292.png

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga