• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Taos Ski Week, a 6-morning lesson program, 2022-23 notes

marzNC

Angel Diva
While using Ikon or the Mountain Collective Pass can be a good way to cover lift access, be sure to read the rules that are posted on the Taos website under Tickets and Passes. For 2022-23, Ikon reservations are required. Using included days with the MCP does not require reservations. Best to call to find out details if planning on skiing additional days using the MCP 50% discount. That applies to people who plan to use Reciprocity discount based on having a premium season pass associated with the MCP.

Screen Shot 2022-10-01 at 2.50.00 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2022-10-01 at 2.50.22 PM.jpg

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Someday I want to try the race ski week!
It is fun and skiing gates in full gear is not a requirement (you can but you need to provide your own gate guards). Most people ski stubbies instead. Depending on how large the group is, they’d divide people up into ability levels. In prior years, they require that, at a minimum, you can already ski parallel on Taos groomed blues. If no race experience, you’ll learn upper/lower body separation and proper carving techniques.
I’d check to see where the race week will be held before participating. They usually close Firlefanz for the week and one year they closed Lower Stauffy too after the holiday weekend, but random people still dropped in onto the race course regardless and we had a few near collisions that could have ended badly. It is even more dangerous if they don’t close lower Stauffy as the class will zip through others at high speed on an open run to catch Chair 8. Last season they held the class on Porcupine which made it more challenging due to snow conditions and there were a few injuries.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Race Week is Jan. 22-27, 2023. Different schedule than other Ski Weeks and a different price. The info was put on the TSV website in late September.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Great news that it is not on MLK weekend!
The timing for the specialty clinics seems more rational than it used to be. Seemed odd when Race Week or Women's Week overlapped with a holiday weekend.

Helped that this fall it was made clear that Sept. 27 was the day that online info about lessons and Ski Week would be available. I'd heard they were moving to better software for ski school.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Forgot what I wrote about Taos Ski Weeks in Feb 2020. Here's an updated version of that post based on what I know as of October 2022 having done two more Private Ski Weeks in Mar 2021 and Feb 2022.

A Taos Ski Week is not exactly a multi-day "ski camp" as I understand them at destination resorts like Alta or Jackson Hole. A regular Ski Week is a multi-day lesson program with no perks, just 6 consecutive 2.5 hour lessons with the same instructor and group. Note that changing groups after Day 1 or even Day 2 is always an option. The goal for Taos Ski Week is for the student to feel like it was a worthwhile and enjoyable experience. In some ways, it has more in common with multi-week programs that have a group of students working with the same instructor for 4-8 weeks, once a week.

Someone who wants to invest the time for a Taos Ski Week gives it a try for assorted reasons. I know advanced beginners, intermediates, advanced, and "experts" who have done a Ski Week in recent years. Some were friends and others were people I met in various ways at TSV. All of them have taken away some noticeable change that has made a difference after the Ski Week was over. I've seen the differences first hand. Haven't found anyone yet who said it was a waste of time or money, which isn't always the case even with a private lesson. All I've been hearing is that people want to do another Ski Week.

I've been saying since my first Ski Week that they are addictive. Have talked to several people who have been doing a Ski Week annually for 10+ years. Some ski a lot, some only ski during the Ski Week.

There were several "hard chargers" from another ski forum who did a Ski Week for the first time in 2019. While they had some concerns and small complaints, bottom line is that most of them have since returned and done more Ski Weeks. Especially true for the skiers over 45.

Taos Ski Valley and the Ski Week lesson program is unique from what I've experienced. I've taken lessons in the last decade from about 20 different Level 3 instructors (or Level 2 with 20+ years teaching experience). The quality of instructors at TSV is impressive. Terrain is a factor for learning bumps, but it doesn't really matter. I learned a great deal during the Ski Week in 2018 when no black terrain was open the entire week due to low snow conditions. My instructor focused on technique for the group of advanced/expert women (it was a Women's Week group). In Feb 2019 I was in a "black/double-black" group when it snowed a fair amount. The focus was on tactics more than technique. During the Private Ski Week with the same instructor in Feb 2020, we did a mix of technique and tactics, depending on snow and weather conditions. Those two Ski Weeks included hiking the Ridge to ski a short powder run. By the next season I was more interested in focusing on technique than adventure runs. The goal for me and my ski buddies who are over 65 is to become as efficient as possible in near future in order to continue skiing challenging terrain past age 75.

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
As posted in other threads, the 2020 Taos Women's Ski Week included some perks. Included free demo skis from the TSV ski shop, as well as assorted discounts at the independent ski shops at TSV. There were also discounts at a few retail shops in town.

The 2023 Women's Ski Week starts Feb. 26. The annual gathering of Divas interested in a trip to a resort in the west that's called Diva West will be happening that week at Taos.

Ermit

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you for all of this information! I would love to do a ski week and have been looking at the information for a while.

I noticed that Deb Armstrong did three 3-day clinics at Taos last year (though one may have ended up being cancelled?) and per the website she will again this year. I would really really love to attend the January session if it's in my ability level. Does anyone know anything about this program? It isn't live on the site yet.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I noticed that Deb Armstrong did three 3-day clinics at Taos last year (though one may have ended up being cancelled?) and per the website she will again this year. I would really really love to attend the January session if it's in my ability level. Does anyone know anything about this program? It isn't live on the site yet.
The clinics that Deb Armstrong does are pretty intense. As I remember, they were geared to advanced intermediates or advanced skiers. Meaning people who are already comfortable in bumps but interested in skiing more challenging terrain. Deb is a great instructor for all levels. But few intermediates are willing to pay $1000-2000 for a multi-day clinic.

Where have you been skiing? What type of terrain do you ski the most?

As I've noted before, I much prefer morning lessons over a full-day lesson. It's really hard to concentrate from 2.5-3.0 hours in the morning and again for another couple of hours after lunch. When my friends and I do a full-day semi-private lesson, part of the time is just guided skiing off-piste to learn more fun places for trees and powder.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I thought in the past she offered multiple levels with the clinics there? The first beginner, second intermediate, third expert? Not sure if that’s what’s happening in 2022, but thought I read that from a previous season.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I thought in the past she offered multiple levels with the clinics there? The first beginner, second intermediate, third expert? Not sure if that’s what’s happening in 2022, but thought I read that from a previous season.
Yes, Armstrong's clinics were different levels. You are correct that there was one for beginners in Dec 2021. Last season was the first for SkiStrong. She also did PSIA clinics and other training that weren't for the general public. I would guess that she and TSV Ski School aren't really set on what will work best in the long run. That may be why the details are not available yet on either the TSV website or the SkiStrong website.

There were only 7 spots available for each of the four clinics in 2021-22. That's the usual max for a Ski Week. Given that the schedule for 2022-23 doesn't include an early Dec clinic, perhaps there wasn't enough interest.

For 2022-23 Taos Ski School offers 1-day, 2-day, and half-day lesson programs for beginners that range from $190 to $370. Also have special half-day programs for intermediates for under $500. That makes more sense to me than $2200 for a beginner. An intermediate could do a Ski Week for $360 or even just 3-4 days of a Ski Week if they can't commit to a full week.

November 2021, SkiStrong for 2021-22
Screen Shot 2022-10-26 at 10.52.50 PM.png

The schedule for 2022-23 has clinics in mid-Jan, mid-Feb, and early March. I think that implies more focus on intermediate and advanced/expert skiers, especially after January. By then the black and double-black terrain is much more likely to have full coverage.

Last edited:

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you for all of this information! I would love to do a ski week and have been looking at the information for a while.

Deb's clinics should open up today. I received the email below from Taos on Saturday.

I called the number given below, and it is over $2,000 for the three days of instruction. Can't remember the exact amount. That figure does not include lift tickets. I suspect if you still can't find anything online about registering, you can register by phone by calling them.

Screen Shot 2022-10-27 at 9.00.17 AM.png

MissySki

Angel Diva
So it does look like they are focusing on the intermediate and advanced side of things. Seems like a very cool program.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I would imagine so, it’s a very small number of slots for such a big name instructor.
Deb's clinics are with her personally. There are other 2-day and 3-day clinics where the big name person works with a few other instructors.

The first season Deb worked with TSV Ski School, she was part of the Women's Ski Week. She spent some time with each group. I sat in the back of the room when she was reviewing video for an intermediate group since they didn't close of the room (in the same building as the main cafeteria). At one point she got up on a table to demonstrate something.

I assume after that experience, the decision was that it made more sense for her to do a specialty clinic for a premium price. From a business standpoint, that may bring in people who wouldn't otherwise consider making the trek to TSV.

That reminds me . . . TSV tried a mini-Week program one season. Something like Thu-Sun.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Deb's clinics are with her personally. There are other 2-day and 3-day clinics where the big name person works with a few other instructors.

The first season Deb worked with TSV Ski School, she was part of the Women's Ski Week. She spent some time with each group. I sat in the back of the room when she was reviewing video for an intermediate group since they didn't close of the room (in the same building as the main cafeteria). At one point she got up on a table to demonstrate something.

I assume after that experience, the decision was that it made more sense for her to do a specialty clinic for a premium price. From a business standpoint, that may bring in people who wouldn't otherwise consider making the trek to TSV.

That reminds me . . . TSV tried a mini-Week program one season. Something like Thu-Sun.
Yeah this one is amazing in that you get Deb with your group the whole time. I wonder how they ensure that everyone meshes well into one group ability/goals/expectation wise.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga