• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Helly Hansen and North Face gear recommendations

COcanuck

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, I just found out yesterday that I qualify for a 50% off at both Helly Hansen and North Face for being a "First Responder"...if anyone didn't know about this, please go and get verified online for your discounts!

That being said....what should I use the discount on?? I have Intraknit base layers (2 of them) so I don't really think I need any more base layers. I have one ski jacket and pair of bibs (Outdoor Research Hemisphere's from 2 seasons ago, LOVE them!). I have a Patagonia Nanopuff that I also layer with if it gets too cold. That's pretty much all I possibly wear for skiing at this time.

So, if you have a steep discount and wanted to get something that you didn't necessarily need, what would you spend it on, recommendations please!! For reference, I'm 5'4", about 135lb, tend to be small on top and medium-ish on the bottom, short legs.

Jenny

Angel Diva
One jacket and one pair of bibs? I know where there are a whole bunch of Jacket Sluts and Pants Sluts who would have some suggestions!

I have one of the North Face Apex (I think) windproof jackets that I really like as another layer when it's super cold. And what about mittens/gloves - can’t have too many of them!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I would go for a nice waterproof breathable Helly Hansen shell. Plus the pants @marzNC suggested. Two base layers? I would get some merino wool from Helly Hansen and some LIFA (think it's called that).... Let me help you spend your discount.
Thanks for doing what you do.

COcanuck

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One jacket and one pair of bibs? I know where there are a whole bunch of Jacket Sluts and Pants Sluts who would have some suggestions!

I have one of the North Face Apex (I think) windproof jackets that I really like as another layer when it's super cold. And what about mittens/gloves - can’t have too many of them!

lol, I'm new to the sport, started 2 seasons ago, so I'm sure I'll need more jackets and pants relatively soon! I've been saving up to actually get boots fitted either this season or the next, but it's hard for me to pass on a big discount, I'll check out the jacket you suggested, thanks!

COcanuck

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would go for a nice waterproof breathable Helly Hansen shell. Plus the pants @marzNC suggested. Two base layers? I would get some merino wool from Helly Hansen and some LIFA (think it's called that).... Let me help you spend your discount.
Thanks for doing what you do.

ah, I meant I had two sets of base layers (the Smartwool Intraknit ones)...I'd hate to buy more when I'm already pretty covered with those! I put the HH base layers on my kid's Christmas list though, they looked really nice!

Appreciate it, always happy to have you ladies make the best recommendations :o)

marzNC

Angel Diva
Vest buddies!! I wear vests all the time too, I think my husband would kill me if I bought another one, LOL!! I think I've got about 5 of them...
Maybe we need to have a Vest Slut thread? I have far more vests than ski jackets, although most aren't for skiing. For ski trips I have one very thin, non-insulated Marmot vest that they don't make any more. Must admit that the collection of jackets that I only wear for skiing started growing after I started taking more than one trip out west per season. The technical material that exists now is wonderful stuff and worth the extra money.

What I also noticed is that HH doesn't just make clothing for cold weather sports. :wink:

Jilly

Staff member
I have a top base layer that I got from the rep. Love it. Helly Hansen base layers used to Lifa by the way.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Not HH or NF, but I just bought a 2nd pr of Women's Petite Squall Insulated Winter Snow Pants from Land's End at the ridiculously low sale price (60% off) of $54.97! I have a pr that I bought a couple of yrs ago, and I love them. What's really nice is that they come in different lengths, so we who are vertically-challenged don't have to walk around on our pants bottoms -- I hate that. They're also insulated, so they keep me warm with just a base layer underneath. Not sure how long this 60% sale will still be around.

COcanuck

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not HH or NF, but I just bought a 2nd pr of Women's Petite Squall Insulated Winter Snow Pants from Land's End at the ridiculously low sale price (60% off) of $54.97! I have a pr that I bought a couple of yrs ago, and I love them. What's really nice is that they come in different lengths, so we who are vertically-challenged don't have to walk around on our pants bottoms -- I hate that. They're also insulated, so they keep me warm with just a base layer underneath. Not sure how long this 60% sale will still be around.

wow, awesome deal...and yes, I have to hem so many things as well, I was happy to find petite scrubs that I didn't have to hem at the start of the pandemic!

Covie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ahh yes I remember these days well when I worked in retail. To use for the sake of it or not to use for sake of it!
Spurge items: TNF futurelight shell which is their latest better than goretex membrane. I tried on a basic all black futurelight shell and not gonna lie my heart fluttered a bit until the price tag got me. Quiet shell and smart features. Anything in their steep series is nice, and the steep series stuff I’ve owned has held up well over the years. Value wise TNF freedom snow pants are one of the nicest pants in their price range.
For HH the ULLR line is nice. Lifa base layers have been covered but if you travel these are the best. You can hand wash and literally hang outside let the water freeze, break off the ice and go! Probably won’t come to that but hey, ya never know! Happy shopping!

COcanuck

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ahh yes I remember these days well when I worked in retail. To use for the sake of it or not to use for sake of it!
Spurge items: TNF futurelight shell which is their latest better than goretex membrane. I tried on a basic all black futurelight shell and not gonna lie my heart fluttered a bit until the price tag got me. Quiet shell and smart features. Anything in their steep series is nice, and the steep series stuff I’ve owned has held up well over the years. Value wise TNF freedom snow pants are one of the nicest pants in their price range.
For HH the ULLR line is nice. Lifa base layers have been covered but if you travel these are the best. You can hand wash and literally hang outside let the water freeze, break off the ice and go! Probably won’t come to that but hey, ya never know! Happy shopping!

LOL, the struggle is real!! Great discount, but...do I really need anything extra right now?

Thanks for the recommendations, I wound up falling down a google review hole last night comparing shells and bibs!

Getting Ready

Angel Diva
I have a TNF futurelight shell that I got because it stained. I really love it and I’m someone who runs cold. One con is it that is seems to stain easily which how I got it.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I can’t believe I even clicked on it to go look! I have enough ski pants to keep me for the rest of my life, probably! Including gaining weight! Although not losing much with what I have..... Were I not already overstocked I would probably click on something!

Last edited:

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The HH pants did look nice, I hate pants though (unless they are scrubs!), I'll probably check out the bibs!
I’ve been eyeing the North Face Freedom bib, but sadly can’t find the color I want in the size / length that I want. I tried some on last week and the L fit, but not much room for layers. The xl on the other hand fits about 3 sizes larger, I could probably wear every base layer I own all at once.

COcanuck

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’ve been eyeing the North Face Freedom bib, but sadly can’t find the color I want in the size / length that I want. I tried some on last week and the L fit, but not much room for layers. The xl on the other hand fits about 3 sizes larger, I could probably wear every base layer I own all at once.

yeah, I actually ordered some Moxie bibs off of Backcountry on discount, I'll see what the fit is like, it seems like some of the bibs are all over the place for sizing!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
yeah, I actually ordered some Moxie bibs off of Backcountry on discount, I'll see what the fit is like, it seems like some of the bibs are all over the place for sizing!
Thinking about the Fly Low roxy bibs... Anyone have experience with those?
Yes I know a bit of a thread derail as not TNF or HH.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga